PART II-Size 20 to Size 10: 71.6 pounds gone! Tips for those who want them!

Options
caramel827
caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
Hi. I decided to I decided to add to create a Part II to my success post after a few of my new and wonderful MFP friends asked me for tips. NOTE: If you would like see my original post with pics you will find it here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10406957/size-20-to-size-10-pic-included/p1

DISCLAIMER: Please know that I am NOT trying to say I know it all, that I am an "expert" or that I have all the answers. But I did want to "pay it forward" as I know that my lifestyle shift would not have happened if not from learning and reading info from people on MFP and the internet who have done it. I then focused on what worked for me and what I can live with- so if someone reads this and takes just one thing that helps them lose just one pound it will really warm my heart! So here goes!

I know exactly what you mean by freeing to realize you can eat food you like and not have forbidden foods. It took my losing and gaining weight multiple times before i finally embraced this. I always felt it was "wrong" and I was cheating on my diet. The key is NO diet. I used to kind of hate when people said it was a lifestyle change because in my mind that meant no sweets, no french fries, only green stuff. But it doesn't. I now know it just means maintaining a way of eating suitable for you that you can live with in your life. I really feel like this time is different somehow. One because I was at my highest weight ever and NEVER want to be near that again, but also because my shift in the way I eat is truly what I can live with...anyway I digress so tips. Here are some random things that work for me.

1. LOG IN EVERY SINGLE BITE EVERY SINGLE DAY: I log in to MFP faithfully. Logging makes me so mindful. It is like your checking account-if you spend money without checking your balance and just swiping a card you tend to spend more. Think about it-I know when I just go shopping and don't look at my balance or track it when I do spend I am in shock I spent so much. But if I have cash where I constantly see it and know what's left..sooo much better. it is the same concept-if you don't log as you go you will go extremely over calories. Try to never ever skip a day. It matters. (Side note-I do ponder what if MFP doesn't exist? I guess I would have to write it...hmmm...well in 20 pounds I hope to "graduate" from the trying to lose boards to maintaining boards and see if they still log. I imagine I will and don't see why not. When you find what works you stick to it in my mind!)

2. CONSIDER NO FOODS ARE "FORBIDDEN" : I do not consider any foods forbidden. Everything is fair gam. I eat what want until I out of calories. Period. No matter what time of the day that may be.... I may eat a smaller serving size than I used to so I can ensure I stay withing my calories... (i.e. 5 Hot wings on Saturday night instead of 10 hot wings four times a week-they are my favorite that's why I used that example lol) but just knowing that it is not that I will NEVER eat them again-I am just choosing not to eat it as often so I can enjoy other things too, makes it so much better. When I lost weight before I cut out the "bad" foods..now for me there are no "bad" foods instead I am aware that I can eat too much of something and have too many calories, or eat it too often and it result in a gain.

I know this is not typical-I envy those who clean eat. I commend them. People who truly consider the sugars, carbohydrates, etc. I have to be honest. I am not there YET. I do plan to phase that piece in as I want to always feel my best but I LOVE food. I So if I totally cut things out I know for a fact that one day..one day I would eat that cheesecake again and then boom weight back.

3. THE SCANNER ON THE MFP APP IS YOUR FRIEND: I Use the scanner feature on the app. It is fast and far more accurate. Especially if you like to cook like I do! It helps so much with recipes. I have never used the recipe feature on MFP. I have no idea how. I just scan my ingredients and divide up serving size.

4. MEASURE EVERYTHING: Measure your food like milk sugar etc. I swear by that. I am willing to do it the rest of my life if needed (though I have been guesstimating and checking so that I don't always need measuring cups and spoons lol). THis helps me ensure my food is recorded accurately. I admit I don't weigh the meat but I do measure out servings like rice, mashed potatoes, etc. I always measure when I cook-no pinches of this and that-true measurement.

5. EMBRACE COOKING: Speaking of cooking..I cook more I noticed. I try to find new recipes to make my food fun. It helps me be in control of ingredients as well as portion size:smile:

6. CONFESSION: I like to eat out too. No surprise I'm sure. I now try to limit myself to no more than one time a day (this might frighten some-but I used to eat out two and three times a day often so once a day is good for me!) but since I started cooking and losing it has dwindled down to twice a week.

7. EAT EVERY MEAL: I do my best to never ever skip meals. In my earlier weight loss life I would do that. It is unrealistic. I could not do that forever. Sometimes it happened because of my job. I am an elementary principal and used to ALWAYS skip it then eat probably three times my calories at dinner! Not okay. Now I pack my lunch and I do things I can eat on the go-sandwiches, cup a soup etc.

8. PREPLAN/BUDGET YOUR CALORIES LIKE YOUR CHECKBOOK: I Plan out my meals in advance and sometimes log them the day before, maybe even two days. I am not as good as people who cook all their food and prep their meals-that is a dream! But thinking about what I will cook and eat and logging it helps me budget and ration out my calories. If I know I will eat out for example I eat a light breakfast (maybe yogurt and a coffee) to allow more calories for the meal I plan to enjoy.

9. RESEARCH THE MENU AND NUTRITION BEFORE YOU EAT OUT: Enough said. Log on locate the restaurant and decide what you want and how you plan to budget it in your tracker. It's odd but now that i have started losing I have no desire for high calorie items like appetizer samplers things that entertained me before. Don't get me wrong-still love a potato skin lol but eating a plate of miscellaneous things makes my tummy hurt at the thought. I think my body now knows what it needs too!

10. EAT KID'S MEALS: This will sound crazy but I think my stomach has shrunk-not how it looks on the outside but rather how much it takes for me to get full. If I decide I want a higher calorie item and there is a Kid Meal version-I buy it. This works best if you have kids with you lol but I have never had an issue when I didn't. At the movies I get the Kid's Movie Pack, Chipotle has a great Kid's Meal which really helps because it can get high up in calories when you build an adult bowl. I always tell myself if I eat it and I am not satisfied I can order something to add to it-but guess what hasn't happened yet!

11. WEIGH IN ONCE A WEEK: I weigh myself no more than once a week. I really wish I could wait 2 weeks but I am too anxious. lThe scale is just to fickle. Something I noticed about my recent weight loss is that i have had quite a few periods where I maintained-once I didn't lose for like 3-4 weeks. I even had a few weeks (different weeks not all in a row) where I gained a pound and I was HORRIFIED. But here's the good thing because I am not on a diet, I'm not on a special plan other than tracking my calories I don't get mad and go off the diet as I have in the past. This is my life. This is how I eat. Yes, I was bummed but I stayed the course. I also read posts on MFP that discussed weight loss is NOT consistent. And also described a true plateau which I have yet to have and hope not to! In my earlier years this would upset me and I would just say forget it, -stop going to the gym (more on exercise soon) but now....as mentioned there is no diet to go off of. I continue to eat the same way because there is no diet to stop-it is how I eat! Period.

12. CONSIDER WHAT CHANGES IN THE FOOD YOU EAT YOU CAN HONESTLY LIVE WITH: I do make some changes in ways I can live with. Skim milk instead of regular, Diet pop instead of regular pop (yep I still drink pop). But I do not negotiate or choose lowfat versions on certain things like McDonald's Sweet Tea-love love love it! Also regular salad dressing is a nonnegotiable for me-I despise non fat so if I am going to eat a salad I measure the dressing log it and move on.

13. MOVE MORE- Okay what i am about to say is not something you should say out loud-especially on a board with healthy people bu I hate exercise. I just don't enjoy it and I know people always say find an activity you enjoy but well, that just didn't work for me. I read somewhere that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. This freed me! I always thought why bother counting calories because I'll still way the same since I am not working out. It is not true at all! I know that I will never be that person who goes to the gym faithfully. and enjoys it. (I envy them too!) I did so once long ago 5 to 6 times a week in my early 20s before hubby and kids. Eventually I stopped-I couldn't maintain it, like got in the way. In my mind because I wasn't exercising I felt like I couldn't lose weight which meant why eat right and boom pounds back on. So I guess I did find somewhat of an activity that works for me-the Fitbit!

14. GET A FITBIT IF YOU CAN: So now I simply try to move more and I use my Fitbit which is tied to MFP app-LOVE!!! I park farther away, I take the long way, I embrace walking at festivals and outside. Boy do I admire marathon runners. I celebrate those of you who made that change in your life for me for now it is the thrill of the competition with Fitbit. I try to get 10, 000 steps most days of the week and I am very very competitive and like to win challenges! Inbox me if you have one so we can be Fitbit Buddies!

15. NO SWEAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVEN"T EXERCISED: I realize now that I don't have to sweat and be tired out to have done what is considered exercise. This was another misconception I had. When I do have time to go to the park and I walk laps with my kids I don't sweat nor am I tired but I do get in my steps and move briskly -that is what mattered.

16. DO NOT EAT ALL OF THE EXERCISE CALORIES JUST SOME: While the MFP app gives me exercise calories on my Fitbit it is my thought to eat no more than half as I am not sure if it is truly accurate-just like the reader on the cardio machine. I am monitoring that now since I haven't had a loss the past few weeks.

17. SLOW AND STEADY REALLY DOES WIN THE RACE: I had to accept that with my lifestyle change the weight does not rapidly fall off like it did when I was in my 20s, worked out five times a week and did not eat the "bad" "forbidden" foods. It is slow but steady. I also read and believe it that rather than losing weight rapidly, I am getting rid of weight slowly but surely and it will stay away.

18. HAVE LOTS OF SMALL GOALS: Yes I have an ultimate Goal-150 pounds size 6 or 8. But I have always had and will continue to have small short term goals. While ultimately this would mean a 95 pound weight loss when I hit my goal, if I thought about it that way it became discouraging. Instead I would set my goals in 10 pound increments. I also made size goals so that I had checkpoints. Right now I am at one of my checkpoint goals- the size 10 175.

19. SLOW AND STEADY REALLY DOES WIN THE RACE!: I had to accept that with my lifestyle change the weight does not rapidly fall off like it did when I was in my 20s, worked out five times a week and did not eat the "bad" "forbidden" foods. It is slow but steady. I also read and believe it that rather than losing weight rapidly, I am getting rid of weight slowly but surely-and it will stay away.

20. FIND A SUPPORT SYSTEM OF PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND THE MFP "LIFE": It is important to me that I have someone that I can talk with about getting rid of the weight -I really prefer that phrase to saying lose it, as when you lose something you may find it again:wink: However, for me it isn't any of my friends or family. Don't get me wrong I do have supportive people in my life but what I mean by that is that for me I use the MFP community to read advice, discuss my goals and if I reached them. I accept that it can difficult to talk to the people in my life who may be currently struggling with weight. If they ask of course I share tips as I am doing now but if not I would never discuss because I don't want to come across as if I know everything-I most certainly do NOT. I do know a few people who log but for some reason I feel more comfortable with discussing my weight loss on the boards so I log in daily for encouragement and to cheer others on.

21.:smile::smiley: FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU: If you made it this far thank you for reading! I hope it was worth it and you got at least one useful tip that will help you on your journey! I never do anything I can not live with for the rest of my life-I always heard that but never truly understood the importance of it in regards to nutrition until now. Once you find what works for you and what doesn't the rest is cake - no pun intended!:wink::smile:

In closing I have to say that writing all of this has been very therapeutic (if there are typos I missed and didn't correct please forgive me-I have been interrupted so many times by my four year old lol) because it allowed me to see how far I have come..which I needed since as I mentioned above I haven't lost but maintained for the past three weeks. Don't get me wrong I do recognize that maintaining is NOT a bad thing at all but sometimes I just need to remind myself of this. One day..One pound at a time. I considered not eating any exercise calories...I am sure if I didn;t I would lose more and faster but...then I would be hungry! LOL. I do not EVER feel hungry now and have not since I started logging and making my shift. So I think I am going to coast it out for the next few weeks and enjoy some of my NSV like seeing someone I haven't seen for two years and she didn't even recognize me! When people ask me how I am losing weight I give all credit to MFP (tracking and the community) and my Fitbit!:smile:

And to the remaining 25 pounds or so I have left to get rid of before reaching the ultimate goal-enjoy yourself because this time next year you will be such a distant memory- I believe it so I will achieve it:blush:

Replies

• caramel827
    Options
    Kelll12123 wrote: »
    You're really missing out with the recipe option. If you make a recipe frequently or even eat it more than once, it's way easier to log than importing ingredients one at a time.
    I will try it out when I cook tomorrow! I was the same way about the scanner at first...it was there but I just kept up with my manual entering even though hubby was like try that scanner thing out I bet it is easier lol. So I will absolutely try it!
  • iandanamelia
    iandanamelia Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This was great to read! I too move more due to my fitbit. I also haven't used the 'Recipes' section much, but tend to use the 'Meals' section instead. Whatever works for you I think.
  • Mz__Angelface
    Mz__Angelface Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I need a MFP friend like you! Congrats on your journey!
  • tammiesk00
    tammiesk00 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This has been such an inspiration to read. I am starting where you started. We have a lot of the same feelings. I am not great at the exercise part. I use my fitbit to encourage me to move more. I have gotten hung up on the type of food. I like the idea of embracing eating what I want but in more portion controlled portions
  • caramel827
    Options
    I need a MFP friend like you! Congrats on your journey!

Yes! Let's be MFP friends!
  • caramel827
    edited June 2016
    Options
    tammiesk00 wrote: »
    This has been such an inspiration to read. I am starting where you started. We have a lot of the same feelings. I am not great at the exercise part. I use my fitbit to encourage me to move more. I have gotten hung up on the type of food. I like the idea of embracing eating what I want but in more portion controlled portions

We are MFP twins! I know exactly what you mean. I remember the first time I tried MFP I felt like I had to forbid foods. I worked out five times a week and dropped it quickly. But once I stopped the gym and returned to eating those foods (because let's face it food is good and a part of life!) the weight came back just as quickly as I lost it. I had even read posts where people are what they wanted within calorie limits but it seemed unbelievable. Now almost ten years later I decided to try that approach by doing just that for a week and seeing if I saw a loss. The loss is at a slower pace but it really adds up.

You got this!!
  • l0velife1
    l0velife1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This is such a fantastic post! I agree with pretty much everything and the points are things I try to tell people when they want advice on losing weight. But I feel like people already on MFP are more prone to listen since they have already taken the first step of logging on. Your food talk sounds like it came directly from me! I LOOOVVEEE my food. I am huge on wanting to taste all of the things out there. I'll only live once, and even though I want to be healthy I also want to not deprive myself at the same time. It hurts when I hear people talk about their crazy diets and how stressed they are because they can't have carbs or sugar or whatnot. If it works for them, good on them, but when they are stressing out I want to just sit down and ask them "whhyyy!?"

Though I don't weigh my food I admire that you take that extra step! For me, it stresses me out and puts me in a little bit of a bad place with food but I hear wonderful things from people who this helps :)

BTW- you look fantastic. You probably already know but I just wanted to leave that there. <3
  • caramel827
    edited June 2016
    Options
    l0velife1 wrote: »
    This is such a fantastic post! I agree with pretty much everything and the points are things I try to tell people when they want advice on losing weight. But I feel like people already on MFP are more prone to listen since they have already taken the first step of logging on. Your food talk sounds like it came directly from me! I LOOOVVEEE my food. I am huge on wanting to taste all of the things out there. I'll only live once, and even though I want to be healthy I also want to not deprive myself at the same time. It hurts when I hear people talk about their crazy diets and how stressed they are because they can't have carbs or sugar or whatnot. If it works for them, good on them, but when they are stressing out I want to just sit down and ask them "whhyyy!?"

Though I don't weigh my food I admire that you take that extra step! For me, it stresses me out and puts me in a little bit of a bad place with food but I hear wonderful things from people who this helps :)

BTW- you look fantastic. You probably already know but I just wanted to leave that there. <3

Thank you so much for replying! And I agree with you that MFP is such a safe place for all of our thoughts! While we may approach things differently (I really do want to get to the point where I truly monitor sugar, fat etc.) we "get" one another! This journey is one that you have to find yourself and what works for your body. As we both embrace life is good and so is food lol.

And thank you for the compliment at the end... It really is true you don't see yourself as others do. When I got dressed this morning I still had some of the self shaming thoughts- thighs big, arms flabby etc. so thank you!
  • cwomack09
    cwomack09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss? I too am fanatic about logging everything I eat. HUGE HELP!! My one big problem is ending up exceeding my fat allowance and not enough calories so then toward the end of the day I struggle with what the heck I can eat that is fat-free but boosts my calories. Any thoughts? Am thinking about the FitBit as well as it seems it would help log all my physical activities. I now use my iPhone when I walk but with two dogs tagging along, it's cumbersome and awkward at best. Keep up the good work.
  • jpozos15
    jpozos15 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Fabulous post. I am on and off with motivation for exercising and eating "healthy." This gives me hope that I don't have to kill myself at the gym and can still eat what I want in smaller portions and still lose weight. Thanks! Btw I love my fitbit.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I went to move from size 20 to 10 too. I lost 25 pounds this year. I have to keep going.
  • Willow2528
    Willow2528 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    First of all many congratulations on your weight loss, fantastic.
    Secondly thank you so very much for the wonderful advice and tips I have just read.
    You make so much sense,
    I have a lot of weight to lose, 50Ibs I do realise it's not going to happen over night, but does it matter if it take 50 or 60 weeks, as long as I lose it slowly and sensibly.
    Many thanks,xx
  • caramel827
    Options
    cwomack09 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your weight loss? I too am fanatic about logging everything I eat. HUGE HELP!! My one big problem is ending up exceeding my fat allowance and not enough calories so then toward the end of the day I struggle with what the heck I can eat that is fat-free but boosts my calories. Any thoughts? Am thinking about the FitBit as well as it seems it would help log all my physical activities. I now use my iPhone when I walk but with two dogs tagging along, it's cumbersome and awkward at best. Keep up the good work.

Hi! Sorry so tardy with the reply! I am ashamed to admit that right now I am 100% focused on calories. I haven't gotten to the point where I really factor in if I exceeded sugar, fat, or ate enough protein. I do want to get there but right now I concentrate on not depriving myself and staying within my calories. I do plan to see a nutritionist to help me with that because surprisingly I really don't do that badly and I don't concentrate on it. My taste buds seem to have changed I now enjoy things like asparagus prepared a certain way- smile whereas before I didn't. Good for you doing both calories and nutrition- I know it is the best thing for your optimal health!

I am sitting here pondering what is low and fat but will give you calories- that is a hard one because whatever you choose you will have to eat a lot of.. Do you like no or low fat foods like baked chips? Maybe that will work.. Frozen yogurt.. Soft pretzels (random I know lol- I just love them).

Kudos for your dedication on sticking with the nutrition!!
  • caramel827
    Options
    jpozos15 wrote: »
    Fabulous post. I am on and off with motivation for exercising and eating "healthy." This gives me hope that I don't have to kill myself at the gym and can still eat what I want in smaller portions and still lose weight. Thanks! Btw I love my fitbit.

Exactly! You summed it up right there!! I am so grateful to MFP for giving me an easy tool! And for support like this!
  • caramel827
    Options
    I went to move from size 20 to 10 too. I lost 25 pounds this year. I have to keep going.

Congratulations on your 25 pounds! That is huge!! There are many people who would give their right arm for that! You should be so proud! No matter what keep reminding yourself slow and steady really does win the race- you will get to where you want but enjoy yourself along the way. By that I just mean celebrate every size change every pound. Slow weight loss will last longer according to the research. I truly believe it. One thing I noticed for me is in the past if I went on a diet when I got on the scale and maybe it was a pound or two up rather than I loss I would get mad and say oh well done with this night as well eat. Well since I am not on a diet now but instead have simply changed the way in which I approach food and I eat what I want within calorie limits when I see a gain or no loss I shrug my shoulders and continue about my day because I know it is just the scale being finicky and guess what- nothing changes about how I eat because this is how I will eat forever.

You will keep going. You got this.
    Monica
  • caramel827
    Options
    Willow2528 wrote: »
    First of all many congratulations on your weight loss, fantastic.
    Secondly thank you so very much for the wonderful advice and tips I have just read.
    You make so much sense,
    I have a lot of weight to lose, 50Ibs I do realise it's not going to happen over night, but does it matter if it take 50 or 60 weeks, as long as I lose it slowly and sensibly.
    Many thanks,xx

Aww thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to reply!!!This time next year I bet that 50 pounds you want to lose will be a distant memory !! You can do it!
  • sdarlingsmith
    sdarlingsmith Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I've lost 4lbs so far and counting. Slow and steady.
  • caramel827
    Options
    Thanks for this. I've lost 4lbs so far and counting. Slow and steady.

Wow!! Congrats on your 40lbs!! That is fabulous!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!