Looking for some vegetarian lunch ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Bumping for recipes :smile:

I usually just do leftovers or go somewhere for lunch. Here's the link to the MFP group that might have some more ideas for you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores

And here's my pinterest board of veg/"veg-able" recipes: pinterest.com/crista_b/living-the-veg-life/
  • kkveggie
    kkveggie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 9 years and here are some things that are on my shopping list every week:
    - Tofu
    - Beans (all different kinds, kidney and black are my favorite)
    - Eggs
    - Whatever veggies look good (I typically get at least cucumber, spinach, tomato, broccoli, and cauliflower every week)
    - Whatever fruit looks good (I typically get at least some kind of berries and grapes every week)
    - Hummus
    - Whey protein
    - Greek yogurt
    - Quinoa

Some of my favorite meals are:
    - Eggplant parmesean (Light on the breadcrumbs and cheese, baked and not fried.)
    - Vegetarian Stir Fry (I always use tofu and broccoli and whatever other veegies I have and serve it over quinoa)
    - Tacos / taco salad (Use black beans as a substitute for meat. I LOVE my taco salads to also have quinoa, homemade salsa, and avocado, yumm)
    - Sandwiches (Endless possibilities! For hot sandwhiches I love cooked portabello mushrooms, roasted red peppers, eggplant, pesto, mozzerella, tofu, etc... For cold sanwhiches I love hummus, provolone, feta, cucumbers, tomato, spinach, sprouts, olives, etc.)
    - Omlettes (Stuff with anything you like, I like spinach, mushrooms, tomato, and feta. Also, srambling eggs and tofu together makes very fluffy omlettes)
    - Soup (my favorite is Minestrone)
    - Stuffed peppers/ tomatoes

You can find vegetarian recipies for just about anything on Google or Pinterest. Also, since you're just starting out eating meals that mimick meat may be helpful with the transition. There are some great recipies for buffalo wings (made from cauliflower), a variety of bean/veggie/soy/quinoa burgers (or just grill up a portabello), and tons of fake meat products.

There are tons of options out there, so don't be afraid to get creative and try something new!
  • Hollypop725
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for a little while (only a few months haha) but the biggest problem I had was getting protein. So for lunches I would rely on black beans a lot. So you could do a lower calorie burrito with black beans (or pinto beans), lettuce, tomato, and other veggies, some hot sauce (if you like it), low or nonfat cheese (Sargento some good ones), and avocado. For the wrap, there are a lot of low carb tortillas but I use Ezikiel (or sprouted grain) tortillas. They're high fiber, low calorie wraps and they taste basically the same. I find them in the freezer section near the gluten free stuff.

Otherwise everyone else has given some good ideas. You could also do egg salad in a lettuce wrap. I still use the Boca crumbles a lot, which is good for anything with ground meat in it. I've also made split pea or lentil soup, both offer a good amount of protein and fiber to help keep you full. You definitely have a lot of options! Hope this helps. :-)
  • KickyLegs
    KickyLegs Posts: 53
    Options
    I like this:

-FIrm Tofu
    -veggies (spinach, kale, cucumbers, grated carrots, red bell pepper - what ever you want or have in fridge)
    -lightly cook tofu and kale, combine all ingredients

sauce:

1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 cup water
    2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
    1 tsp Sesame oil
    1 tbsp honey
    1 tbsp fresh ginger
    2 tbsp fresh lime juice

Mix in blender, add to salad (mixture should last 3 days or so, could even use chickpeas & quinoa instead of tofu). You could add a bit of olive oil if you want.
  • girlunobserved
    Options
    I've been a veggie for 10 years now and my boyfriend has been one for 2 years. A mexican chilli is so quick to make and low cal (quorn mince; mixed beans like pinto, black, kidney; paprika, cumin, tomato paste, onions: just experiment). You could have it on its own with some natural yogurt or sour cream, or even a sprinkle of cheese. For something more substantial make a burrito - slap the chilli in a wrap, put some rice on top and put some salad in it, roll it up and bam - healthy and filling! When frying, we always use fry light (a low fat cooking spray) as it saves loads of pointless calories that you'd use if you fried in oil.
  • AwakeWithWolvesTeeth
    Options
    Better than a BLT- Toasted whole grain bread, a little vegan mayonnaise, 1/2 an avocado, some tomato slices, and some fresh arugula! With Ezekiel bread it tops out at 296 calories. Super tasty and super filling!
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    A bunch of fruit is good! Just chop up a pineapple and bring that to work, or a bunch of peaches/grapes/bananas/etc. I love eating super high fruit volumes. Makes me feel like a rockstar energy-wise but no crash or other negative side effects. I just feel good down to the cellular level, if you know what I mean.
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms on toast: Heat a little oil in a pan crushed garlic and fry for 30 seconds before adding the sliced mushrooms. When cooked add a touch of lemon juice and chopped parsley.

Chickpea, spinach and tomato curry: In a wok fry a sliced onion, a thumb sized piece of ginger (grated), 2-3 garlic crushed cloves and a chopped chilli until onions are soft. Add 1 tsp Ground Cumin, 3/4 tsp Garam Masala, 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric stir then add a tin of chopped tomatoes and 1 tbsp of tomato paste and a tin of chickpeas. Simmer for 10 min then add 200g spinach at the end to wilt. Makes 4 portions, serve with rice or indian bread
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I love a hummus and veggie sandwich! Spread some hummus on some Dave's Killer Bread and put some shredded carrot and zucchini on it and yum.
    I also like a veggie wrap. Cream cheese and any veggies and especially avocado. More yum.
    Bean and cheese burrito. mmmmmm
    Beans, especially black beans, and brown rice with salsa and avocado. An over easy egg on top = incredible yum.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Pita with hummus, cucumber slices, tomato, spinach, peppers and cheese
    Veggie burger, fixed up just like a regular burger
    Vegetarian tuna salad, using chickpeas instead of tuna

Also check out a blog called FatFree Vegan Kitchen - even though you're not vegan, she has some great recipes that would be great for lunch.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I love a hummus and veggie sandwich! Spread some hummus on some Dave's Killer Bread and put some shredded carrot and zucchini on it and yum.
    I also like a veggie wrap. Cream cheese and any veggies and especially avocado. More yum.
    Bean and cheese burrito. mmmmmm
    Beans, especially black beans, and brown rice with salsa and avocado. An over easy egg on top = incredible yum.

I love Dave's Killer Bread! Just discovered it a couple of weeks ago!
  • emilovejean
    emilovejean Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're near a Trader Joe's, their pre-packed greek salad and hearts of palm/artichoke salads are great.
    Tonight I made rocket salad with roasted tomatoes and chickpeas with feta and balsamic
    If you're doing a lot of salad, my rec would be to vary your lettuces (rocket and mache are great) because you won't get tired of salads as quickly. I always add beans of some kind and I never skimp on the cheese if my dressing if just balsamic.
    I did about 2 cups of rocket, 1/2 c. of tomatoes, 1/2 c. of chickpeas, 1 oz fat free feta, and two tbsp of balsamic and it came out to about 125 cal. (This is more a snack amount of cals, so be sure to add more beans or do something on the side as well.)