Fitness has NO correlation with weight!

Options
Hi All! I am about 30 years old, and I thought I would share my piece of personal experience to hopefully motivate those who are having trouble going.

About 3.5 years ago (October 2012), I quit smoking. I decided enough was enough. I was 210 lbs. I gained about 20 lbs over the next two months while I quit, made it concrete. Then, I lost 35 lbs from there, being at a low of 195ish lbs about 3 years ago from now. Since then, I have fluctuated between 195 and 210 lbs, and that latter number is where I am at now.

Backtrack to the same time I quit smoking. I couldn't jog a 1/4 mile without coughing and wheezing. The subsequent summer, I was beating the city bus down the road on my bicycle. I was at my lowest weight. I could run about 1.5 miles without stopping. Over the two years after that until now, I have not worked out consistently, but I kept trying. I would start and stop again and again: path running, trail hiking, cycling, and weights. My weight never changed, at least not to anything meaningful.

Today, I just ran 4 miles straight, with burpees mixed in. I got to the end of my run, and I really feel I could have gone another 2 or 3 miles, were it not for running out of water. I am the same weight as when I started on this journey.

Is my body the same? No. I almost certainly have more muscle than I did back then. But the scale still reads the same number.

My point is: if you think the scale is the only thing that tells you you are progressing...you are wrong. Look at what you can do, even if your weight doesn't go down. Tracking calories is a guessing game anyways; your body's calories needs will always be different day to day. So, while you work that out, focus on your ability.

See you at Spartan Race Boise! AROO!

Replies