Fatigue after exercise

Options
I recently started a Zumba program, and I haven't exercised regularly in about 2 years. I have noticed that ever since I started, I come home incredibly tired. Today my energy levels were so low I couldn't get through the last half of the exercise, and fell asleep for four hours afterward. I eat at a 1000 deficit (around 1250 calories), I'm currently 177 pounds and I walk for a half hour a day plus the zumba. What could I be doing wrong?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to eat more, you should eat back some of your calories burned.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, reduce your deficit.
  • sueelaineparker
    sueelaineparker Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree. 1000 deficit is a lot when you're also doing exercise.

Healthy, nutritious snacks would be the way I'd go - before and after workouts.
    Bananas, eggs etc a nice smoothie lots of options :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yeah 1250 gross is too little if you're trying to exercise too, eat some of those earned calories.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Get tested for diabetes. I used to crash after intense exercise just like you describe. It's a simple blood test.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at a net of at least 1200 calories, unless being medically supervised.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself a bit more during class. It will take awhile to be able to perform at max level. It's ok.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    What are you eating before and after you exercise?!

Have a sweet potato piece and a protein source when you finish and when you start eat a banana.

Glycogen is ravished during an intense cardio session and you are "bonking" during your workout because you are eating through your stores. If you are not eating a lot during the day you better eat before you workout properly.

Not eatinf properly is like grinding metal on cement. No fuel. Hard cardio consumes glycogen. 60-70 max HR will allow you to burn fat easier and it may help you avoid the bonk on a low calorie diet.

Stay hydrated as well.

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have that large a deficit....make sure that you are eating enough protein (hard to do sometime). Eat some simple sugar food before you workout, like a banana. Also make sure that you are netting more than 1200 cals.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    yeah this is kind of like running a car without gasoline. Deficit is too high.