How to log it?

Options
I've started a countdown workout this week. I do 10 jumping jacks, 10 push-ups, 10 squats, 10 crunches, and 10 jump ropes. Then I repeat with 9 times, then 8 times, etc until I get to 1. How should I log this for exercise?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Log the duration (under the cardiovascular section) as calisthenics perhaps?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't log this personally. It looks like a less than 10 minute workout. When I do short workouts that don't involve running I know I wouldn't be burning nearly enough calories to be worth logging. Maybe allow yourself to eat an extra piece of fruit that day?

Edit: Never mind. I did not see the reverse ladder I thought all you did was 10 of each. The suggestion above me would be good.
  • jonb1980
    jonb1980 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Is this likely to increase muscle or is it really mainly a cardio exercise? Never done much strength training so trying to start with something I will actually do.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    jonb wrote:
    Is this likely to increase muscle or is it really mainly a cardio exercise?
    Never done much strength training so trying to start with something I will actually do.
    The pushups, squats, & crunches are strength*,
    jumping jacks & jumprope are cardio.

* Other than squats, it's working a fairly limited number of muscles
    If you add twist to the side to the crunches, it's better; planks all the way around would be even better
    And for cardio, just walk. You can vary the speed, the terrain, all you need is a pair of shoes.

I forget who thought this up, but I read a whole book from a trainer explaining/defending his method
    of having people do one VERRRY SLOW repetition of an exercise (pushup, situp, etc.), pausing for 10
    seconds at various points (IIRC, the pushup was done in 7 or 8 parts on each side, so you'd be holding
    it for over 2 minutes total).