What does the green check really mea?

Options
I see that green check by many entries in the food data base . What EXACTLY does it mean? Someone answered me before that it means it was verified , but what was verified and by whom was it verified? Thank you.

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Good question! I've often wondered that myself!!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I think it means that enough people went on the website and said that the entry was correct. It's actually a pretty useless feature that doesn't mean anything except that when the entry is wrong (and they frequently are), you can't change it.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It means it's "verified" so more likely to be correct that the other entries on the database.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It means it's "verified" so more likely to be correct that the other entries on the database.

No it really doesn't

It's an automatic algorithm not a judgement

And lots of them are grossly inaccurate

^^^ This.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    From the MFP FAQ:

"When MyFitnessPal believes a food listing in its database has complete nutrition information it is marked with a .

We do our best to ensure the nutrition information for foods accurately reflects nutrition information from the product packaging. Many of the foods in our database are created by users, and occasionally food will be marked with a that has nutrition information inaccuracies. We are always working to improve the accuracy of nutrition information for foods, and new foods are being added all the time.

Just because food is not a food does not mean it has inaccurate nutrition information."
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    From the MFP FAQ:

"When MyFitnessPal believes a food listing in its database has complete nutrition information it is marked with a .

We do our best to ensure the nutrition information for foods accurately reflects nutrition information from the product packaging. Many of the foods in our database are created by users, and occasionally food will be marked with a that has nutrition information inaccuracies. We are always working to improve the accuracy of nutrition information for foods, and new foods are being added all the time.

Just because food is not a food does not mean it has inaccurate nutrition information."

Yup. In other words, "we made this feature so people can believe they're doing it right even when they're not. It's counterintuitive. Just go with it."
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I ignore them.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    From the MFP FAQ:

"Just because food is not a food does not mean it has inaccurate nutrition information."

When is food not a food? Are they messing with us?
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Never accept the green check mark without verifying the nutrition content against the package.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I always go by package and if I'm eating out I look up the nutrition information on the company's website. I have been so shocked at how off some things are.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    From the MFP FAQ:

"Just because food is not a food does not mean it has inaccurate nutrition information."

When is food not a food? Are they messing with us?

In the original FAQ it had the green check marks in certain places - it took them out when I pasted here. That's why it seems like it's worded kinda funny. Sorry about that.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Never accept the green check mark without verifying the nutrition content against the package.
    I always go by package and if I'm eating out I look up the nutrition information on the company's website. I have been so shocked at how off some things are.

Unfortunately, not everything comes in a package... I found an entry today that said 45 g of zucchini has 2 g of fat.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The " verified foods" drive me crazy. It just breaks the wiki system by stopping us reporting when it's wrong. Wikis only work if the users can remove bad information.

If there was one thing I would improve on myfitnesspal, it would be to change how the wiki works and create incentives to improve the quality of the information and remove duplicates. The wiki really needs volunteer moderators dedicated to it to help that along.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    heh...I read this as "What does the green cheek really mean"
    Well, they're adorable birds. :dizzy:

But yeah, those so-called verified foods are ridiculous. Some of them are accurate, while others are just way out crazy.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    missh1967 wrote: »

Unfortunately, not everything comes in a package... I found an entry today that said 45 g of zucchini has 2 g of fat.

Very true. When it comes to things like fruit or produce, I try to find a few USDA nutrition labels online.
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    NinjaChinchillaNZ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Many of the verified entries are totally useless, e.g. 1 medium apple. What is a medium apple? Apples range massively in size and weight. Also big brand name products - the nutritional content can vary between different countries. Noticed this when checking the verified entry for Kellogg's Just Right cereal. The verified one was 200kj per serve more than it says on the packaging for the Australia/NZ version of the product.