Scales v cups

Options
Hi all!!

I've been reading about how measuring cups are inaccurate. I'm only just on week 5 so would like to make sure I get it right from now onwards.
Any UK recommendations for digital scales please?

Thank you so so much

Replies

• DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    By UK do you mean where to get one in the UK? Cause I'm pretty sure you can go to any home supply place and find one. I'm Canadian and I got mine from superstore (Canadian Walmart). I've read others say you can buy them off amazon too I think.
    And yes, measuring cups/spoons are inaccurate for solids as they're meant to measure volume of liquids, not weight. You'll be shocked how big of a difference if can be.
  • fivelongmiles
    fivelongmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Any, really. Asda, Tesco, Argos etc. all do them and I've had them all at one point. Usually there's one around £8-£10 and I get that, and I've always found them to be great.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I bought mine from Asda, it's nothing special. If you go into any supermarket or bargin shop and pick up an electronic scale (I think mine was on offer for a fiver) it'll do you well.

Cups are inaccurate as they're measurements of volume, which can be inaccurate as what ever you're measuring may not be consistent in shape. For example say you're measuring corn flakes, you will get less of the bigger whole flakes at the top then the smaller ones towards the bottom, you're still eating a cup full of corn flakes but you're getting more in your cup the further towards the bottom of the box you go.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    UK packaging doesn't list cups so at least from that perspective you're forced to either eyeball or weigh.

And yeah, anywhere. Just pick one up next time you go grocery shopping or to Argos or get a basic one from Amazon.
  • clairelouisenewton
    clairelouisenewton Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Brilliant thank you so so much!!!! :smile: