How often can I weigh in?

Options
2»

Replies

• jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    You cannot lose actual weight every day. That is why MFP asks for a weekly weight loss goal. As long as you understand this and do not grow frustrated with all the numbers not dropping when you weigh all the time then weighing daily is fine. For many people though it can become frustrating so it is much better to weigh weekly. If you’re losing a pound or two a week it is much more rewarding to actually see that loss when you look at the scale weekly. You just can't lose weight daily, it takes time. The daily fluctuations can give a false sense of satisfaction and a false sense of discouragement.

Some would say that weekly numbers can be askew as well due to the same daily type of fluctuations. This is true. However you cannot lose weight in one day but you can lose weight in one week. So your results are likely more accurate.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but I don't freak out when it shoots up due to other circumstances.
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm an obsessive eaterbingerdieterstarverweigher, so I find that once a week works best for me.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Since weight can change so much on a day-to-day basis, I only weigh in once a week (Monday) after enjoying a low calorie exercise free Sunday. It feels great to get encouragement of a loss the first work day of the week.

This totally. Even knowing about weight fluctuations and expecting them, actually seeing them drives me crazy. You have no idea how many times i've weighed myself, then pooped then weighed myself and i weigh a couple lbs more. I'm yelling at the scale "HOW IS THAT SCIENTIFICALLY POSSIBLE? THAT XXL SIZED POOP SHOULD'VE DROPPED ME DOWN ABOUT 20 LBS!"

So i have my weigh in day once a week. Every tuesday. Thats also the day i decide to eat at a maintenance instead of a deficit to sorta treat myself.
  • balungile
    balungile Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Since weight can change so much on a day-to-day basis, I only weigh in once a week (Monday) after enjoying a low calorie exercise free Sunday. It feels great to get encouragement of a loss the first work day of the week.

This totally. Even knowing about weight fluctuations and expecting them, actually seeing them drives me crazy. You have no idea how many times i've weighed myself, then pooped then weighed myself and i weigh a couple lbs more. I'm yelling at the scale "HOW IS THAT SCIENTIFICALLY POSSIBLE? THAT XXL SIZED POOP SHOULD'VE DROPPED ME DOWN ABOUT 20 LBS!"

So i have my weigh in day once a week. Every tuesday. Thats also the day i decide to eat at a maintenance instead of a deficit to sorta treat myself.

I dont think ive read anything more funny than this before in my entire life!!!!

:)
  • balungile
    balungile Posts: 10 Member
    Options

• touchafaith
    touchafaith Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm an obsessive eaterbingerdieterstarverweigher, so I find that once a week works best for me.

I'm the exact same! And when I see the number go up on a day-to-day basis, 90% of the time I go out and eat loads as in my head I'm thinking well its working anyway so I may as well eat. Which of course feels good for about an hour followed by days of guilt self-depreciation. So i weigh weekly now and haven't had this happen yet. Don't get me wrong if I was strong minded enough I'd totally weigh in daily to see what foods affect me etc but the numbers get to me too much at the moment. But this is a journey and I'll definitely get there at some point down the road. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The general rule of thumb is once a week since weight fluctuates daily.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week so I don't get caught up in the numbers, and then on an as-needed basis after that. For instance, I mt cycle started Monday. I'd just weighed in Sunday, so I was curious what the difference would be.

3 pounds! Thank god I wasn't latching onto the number as a sign of progress or I would've been in tears!

Every month I have an official progress day where I do bf% and measurements.