Really Hungry this week

Options
Starting week 4 I feel confident in my day to day routine. I am keeping things new and enjoying feeling healthy. However, this week, I have huge cravings for everything unhealthy (I have not given in thankfully). But I am also not sleeping well at all (disturbing dreams) so I am unsure of what is going on. I am worried that I might slip later in the week if I am not careful; however, I don't know what I should change? Since I have been pretty good about staying at my calorie goal I don't want to cheat but all my cravings say to eat unhealthy stuff. Help!

Replies

• VivereDisce
    Options
    Is anything particularly stressful going on in your life? I tend to crave the "comfort" foods more then. Also, when it's coming up to that time of the month.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Not stress but coming up on TOM. I never thought of that. Is there any trick to staving off the TOM cravings?
  • VivereDisce
    Options
    I usually try to get my sugar cravings taken care of with fruit, or if I HAVE to have something that isn't healthy, I'll go to the grocery store with 3 dollars (and ONLY 3 dollars and my driver's license) and buy a single serve ice cream.. I think Blue Bunny and Hagen-Daz have tiny little containers of their more popular flavors. Otherwise, I try to keep exercising, even if I'm miserable, and plan snacks and meals even harder. I usually eat a lot more spinach then, too. Low iron makes me cranky, and cranky makes me make bad decisions!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Have you completely cut out all the "treat"-like foods that you used to enjoy? a) There's no reason to do this - many people have great success incorporating moderate amounts of these things into their daily/weekly nutrition without going over calories; b) This overly restrictive approach almost always leads to "falling off the wagon" or binging. It's rarely sustainable.

If it's real hunger, hormones can play a huge role (I can eat my entire house some weeks). Simply not eating enough can also be an issue, especially if you're exercising (I used to undereat and was starving all the time, it was terrible). The cravings can be more associated with the other stuff I just mentioned.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    My first thought when I read your title was - I wonder if she's getting enough sleep. For me tiredness correlates with hunger and lack of self-control. Coupled with impending TOM you've done so well to not give in to cravings yet.

Try and get a couple good nights sleep. Haven't found anything yet to beat TOM cravings. Just be aware that they are happening so you can minimise the damage. Try and fit in a few little treats (read CHOCOLATE) and keep it as under control as possible
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Not stress but coming up on TOM. I never thought of that. Is there any trick to staving off the TOM cravings?

OMG this is happening to me too!! I have not caved either but I am getting crazy cravings. Like today I wanted a hot pocket sooooo bad! Which is so weird because I have never liked them. All sorts of bad food cravings keep cominig to me all day and i know it has to be TOM should be coming any day!
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Please don't deprive yourself of the things you love. The greatest gift I can pass on is the understanding of moderation. Learn to eat whatever you want and still lose weight. I eat the same things I was eating when I was 227 Lbs and 30+% BF but now I'm losing weight.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Increase your fats
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    oh and my sleep has been real crappy all week too and I have been feeling so tired. just know u r not alone. i bet its because we are pms'ing
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I agree that TOM has a lot to do with it. I up my vitamin Bs and eat lots of iron rich food prior to it to help curb off cravings. You might have a slight deficiency in something your body needs to continue with it's cycle - hence "EAT ALL THE THINGS" mentality.