What to do after a long run?

ydyms
ydyms Posts: 266 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I ran 11 miles yesterday. Yes I'm sore. But I still feel ok. Do most people take the day off the next day or simply continue? I don't want to be foolish either way. Curious about recovery.
Thanks!

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    After long runs, I try to do a short recovery run the next day that typically is 2-3 miles. I find that my muscles don't sieze up and get sore if I do.
  • gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    I usually take a day off but find plenty of stretching and walking around helps (and particularly for me not sitting with my legs crossed!). A gentle run might help too but I guess it's whatever suits you and your body best. The key word is recovery though - it should be gentle, relaxed and feel good.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Some rest, some go for a walk, some for a short easy recovery run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Typically I do my longer run on Sundays and will not run again until Tuesday (I run Tue, Thu, Sat & Sun) but I x-train on Mondays (strength & cycling).

It really depends largely on how long you've been running, if you're a relatively new runner still building your distances taking a recovery day (walking, easy cycling, swimming etc) is probably a good idea as your body is still undergoing a great many psychological adaptations. If you're a more seasoned runner an easy recovery run or other x-training activity is fine, let your body be your guide.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Typically I go x-train, or got for a short run. To keep the everything from tightening up. Swimming, cycling, hiking something.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    I used to find that gentle cycling on days I wasn't running really helped loosen up my legs.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I do a walk day after a long run day. Yoga is good, but the walk really seems to help more to shake loose any soreness.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    What @BrianSharpe said. It really depends on how long you have been running. If you run 6-7 days/week, then an easy recovery run is probably in order. If you are running 3-5, then a rest day, easy cross training or a walk is a good idea. Regardless, it should definitely be easy because you need to recover. I always like to do some yoga the day after a long run.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I usually rest after a long run, maybe walk a bit.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    I do a recovery run the next day. The day after that I hit the gym. Then some type of challenging run such as tempo, threshold, or HIIT.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    It depends what my training is like. If 11 is your long run of the week, you'll probably want to take the day "off". Try some yoga or a 3 mile walk to keep the muscles loose. Nothing too intense, just something to keep everything in motion.

If 11 is a shorter run for the week, what I tend to do is drop back to a 3-4 mile run the next day, take the 3rd day off, and hit my longer (13-15 mile) run the 4th day.
  • mlee981
    mlee981 Posts: 18 Member
    You wanna stretch, hydrate, replenish and hydrate. Don't over complicated it.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    After a long run I usually have a beer...
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Eat something protein filled, shower or bath, hydrate, relax, take bcaa. See how your body feels the next day and see if more rest is nessary
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Completely depends on your training schedule and how you are holding up in it. Anything from a rest day to a recovery run (since you refered to it as your "long run").
  • dellafiora3395
    dellafiora3395 Posts: 29 Member
    The next day, I usually go for long walks to listen to podcasts or bike rides.
  • ydyms
    Thanks all of you for your advice. I think I feel ok and will play it by ear to see how long I could run later.
  • ydyms
    One question I have: why is it that when training one has a hard time losing weight? I'm in maintenance so I'm not trying to lose, but I do feel slightly heavier since training...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Experts generally say not to run 2 days in a row unless you're a highly experienced, well trained runner. If you're asking, the answer is probably "don't run." :open_mouth:
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Short easy run and/or yoga and/or spinning.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    glevinso wrote: »

In the shower.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    glevinso wrote: »

In the shower.

Duh...