Cycling and Weights

Options
Scamd83
Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
I've recently started cycling, just as something to do rather than in any great seriousness. I'm usually out for 2-3 hours several times a week and look to be making good progress towards cycling for longer (say the 50-100 mile mark as an immediate aim). Just wondering if anyone else combines cycling with lifting weights and how they make sure the two don't impact on each other?

Replies

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I do lift in the off seasons, later fall/winter/early summer. And it has impacted my cycling. Faster avg. speed, and I can go longer without bonking out.

Core and Legs will help out big time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I combine long distance cycling (either solo or Audax events) with heavy weights.
    Alternating days of cycling and upper body and core strength work is my usual and preferred routine but sometimes the weather dictates when I want to ride.

Impact - yes there is a training and recovery conflict.
    I do very little leg strength work in the gym as legs often need the recovery time.
    But as I'm a bit injury restricted (knees and back) so I'm not really losing much in the gym.

The other impact is that I'm heavier than optimal for cycling so climbing is harder and have pretty awful aerodynamics for speed. But as I'm not a competitive cyclist it's not really an issue.

There also cross training benefits though. Core work in the gym really helps with my cycle endurance, form and comfort on the bike. Having a very high fitness level means my recovery between sets is much faster so I can comfortably fit in a high volume of weights.
  • _benyboy5
    _benyboy5 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i weight list 2-3 times weekly and cycle 5-6 times weekly. the lifting really helps with my power and speed
  • Scamd83
    Options
    @CincyNeid @sijomial @_benyboy5 Are you doing programs like Stronglifts 5 x 5?
  • sijomial
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »

No - 5x5 programs would bore me to death! Been lifting far too long (40+ years) to enjoy that kind of routine.
    I build my workouts around big compound lifts in a pyramid style (increasing weight, decreasing reps) trying to keep a balance of push and pull. Pyramid style helps me avoid injury as effectively you have a lift specific warm up.
    (That's not a general recommendation, just what works for me.)

Then I add (quite a lot) of core/abs work which massively helps my injured back.

Finally accessory work as required or just for fun.
  • Scamd83
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @sijomial Thought I was going mad with seemingly everyone else being a big fan of 5 x 5 but when I've tried it or All Pros, I just lose the will to carry on for more than a week. I've just made a start with the beginner plan on this http://anthonymychal.com/solutions-for-the-skinny-fat-ectomorph-part-iii-programming-and-training/ and added in cable rows and rear delt raises on the second day. I'm not sure how well this is going to fit in with my cycling, which I tend to focus more towards the second half of the week.

Is pyramid lifting for more advanced lifters? Read it's something to do when you've been lifting a while and need to change things up for further gains.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    @sijomial Thought I was going mad with seemingly everyone else being a big fan of 5 x 5 but when I've tried it or All Pros, I just lose the will to carry on for more than a week. I've just made a start with the beginner plan on this http://anthonymychal.com/solutions-for-the-skinny-fat-ectomorph-part-iii-programming-and-training/ and added in cable rows and rear delt raises on the second day. I'm not sure how well this is going to fit in with my cycling, which I tend to focus more towards the second half of the week.

Is pyramid lifting for more advanced lifters? Read it's something to do when you've been lifting a while and need to change things up for further gains.

if you are a beginner then I would suggest staying with strong lifts, all pro beginner routine, or another beginner program for about three to four months so that you can build up a base of strength and then transition to a more intermediate type program.
  • Scamd83
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @ndj1979 My issue with those sort of programs is the repetitiveness and the impossible demands it places on being able to secure needed equipment at the gym I go to. I mean where I go if you can get hold of the bench press you're unlikely to get hold of the squat rack in the same session, and vice versa. Stronglifts, All Pro, etc are impossible for me without it becoming a mess and having to wait around for what I need to become available or come back later. At which point what should be an enjoyable experience becomes stressful worrying about not making progress because I can't do what needs to be done and overly time consuming. I guess all of the people who succeed on these programs go to better gyms than me. But my gym has one squat rack, one bench with rack and one area for deadlifts. Everything else is just machines.
  • sijomial
    Options

When picking a program you have to consider your goals, your restrictions and your training status.
    On top of that if you have cycling goals you have to decide on your priorities - there is an inevitable compromise when you have multiple and partly conflicting goals. Putting cycling first in summer and weights first in winter is one option for example.

So although programs such as Stronglifts etc. are excellent way for a beginner to get maximum bang for their buck and learn the big lifts and build functional strength they aren't suitable for me.
    I can't squat or deadlift enough weight to make them worthwhile exercises, well I can but would struggle to walk for a few days afterwards. :(
    My leg strength work is almost all on the bike or indoor trainer. Hills and high resistance intervals.

Forty years ago they would have been perfect programs for me but like you I think I would have found it really dull - a perfect program isn't perfect unless you do it and enjoyment is a major part of that.

I wouldn't say pyramid training is just for advanced lifters, it's just a different style that suits some people and not others. There's benefits and downsides - it's not the way to hit your 1RM for example as you are going to be fatigued.

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I do weights, long distance running and mountain biking, but I'm not hardcore on any one of those aspects, so I don't worry about any negative sides to doing all three. I only see benefits. The weights especially have benefited my biking speed and endurance and my running speed. I'm more powerful now. I just space the activities out so I don't overwork myself. B)
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

No. I do not follow any set routine. I mix mine up all the time.
  • Scamd83
    Options
    @sijomial Do you find cycling develops strength/muscles in your legs?
  • sijomial
    Options
    @sijomial Do you find cycling develops strength/muscles in your legs?

Yes - it's a silly myth that you can't build muscle with cardio.
    Before one century+ ride I did an intense 8 week cycle training plan (in fact last 8 weeks of a 12 week plan as I had a deadline), zero weights as I was very focussed and cycling with a very advanced rider and didn't want to show myself up

Quads grew an inch and far more defined.
    I could do about 6 reps on leg press machine in my work gym with all the weight stack before the training plan. At end of 8 weeks I tried again and hit 20 reps. That would be a considerable calculated 1RM increase as well as the obvious strength endurance increase.

Resistance is the key to provide overload and stimulus for growth/strength.
  • Scamd83
    Options
    @sijomial Guess I'd better be careful with how much leg work I do in the gym then.