Smart tip I learned from a pharmacist

Options
Makes great sense and it works for me:
If you're trying to lose weight then check the scale only 2-4 times per month. This way, you see bigger motivating numbers
If you're maintaining weight then check the scale every morning. This way, you can catch any little changes and make small, easier adjustments right away.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Less measurements means less reliability. One low weigh in, followed by another with a tonne of water retention could hide a months worth of real weight loss.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for everyone. I'm pretty lean and only show a loss during one week of the month. During ovulation until my period I hold up to three pounds of water then plummet down up to five pounds. The whole month I was 112 to 113 pounds then shot down to 109 this week. Without weighing in daily I wouldn't know to expect this from my body and I would assume I was eating at maintenance or maybe even a small surplus.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's up to preference, but it seems to me this is a common approach, I too went from weekly weigh-ins to daily as I reached goal weight. I don't really know why it didn't occur to me to weigh myself every day while I lost weight... oh, I guess it was becaused it's usually referred to as "obsessive" :s Weighing daily is one of those little routines that will help me maintain my weight for the rest of my life.