My 14 yr old daughter is over-weight and I need advice

Options
My 14 yr old daughter is 5'3" and 180 lbs. She is very self conscious about her size. She has struggled with this most of her life but has gotten more over-weight than usual over the last year. I've tried everything I can think of to help her. We have discussed good nutrition. I keep very little junk food in the house. I've even gotten rid of sugary cereals. She isn't active in sports but we try to go for evening walks when our schedules permit and she takes a zumba class once or twice a week. I really don't want her counting calories because I'm worried at her age that she could easily get obsessed with it. Any positive suggestions would be very appreciated.

Replies

• magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Maybe get a nutrition plan from a dietitian? Does she buy her own food or eat stuff from school or friends? You could also get some tests done she might have an underlying condition.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Since I assume you are making food (?) you could easily control her portion sizes and count calories for her without her necessarily knowing. Of course you would tell her you are introducing new healthier eating habits so she would not think of it as 'diet'. Getting more active is a good thing and also not getting too restrictive with food since at that age she is still growing.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing the right things.....Sometimes it just has to click. My daughter is 15 and has a large frame (thanks to Dad). She always said she was interested in losing weight, but never actually stuck to any kind of routine until recently.

I felt like I didn't want to push the message too hard, because I certainly didn't want her to develop body image issues that would turn into an eating disorder....
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Try to engage her in organized sports... whether it's a team sport or an individual pursuit, doesn't really matter... kids heck... adults... will do better if there's a reason to the madness... swimming lessons, court sports. Give a kid a reason to move and they will move.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Yeah, please don't ask the laymen this question--this requires professional guidance. Good luck!
  • julslenae
    julslenae Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. I really appreciate it. You offered new things that I hadn't considered.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thats great you are supporting her with her struggles. I was obese throughout my childhood. I really wish I had someone by my side supporting me and helping me lose the weight, so I am happy to see that she has someone that cares. Could she perhaps be eating extra food when you aren't around? Does she eat school cafeteria lunches or packed lunch? Maybe she can find another activity she can be enthusiastic about (for me it was horseback riding and swimming). I agree that calorie counting should not be introduced at such a young age, but perhaps, if you haven't already, you can explain to her the types of foods that are more calorie dense, the types of foods that aren't (and also filling, ex veggies) and why that is. And also how food provides us with energy, and certain foods give too much energy, and the un-used energy (from movement - not necessarily exercise) turns into fat. Use the term 'energy' and not calories.
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Former chubby kid over here...Really the thing that got me into losing weight and getting in shape was aerobic classes at the local womens' gym. I started going with a friend when I was 15, and got a gym membership soon after. I was terrible at all sports but the gym was like an amusement park for me. It's pretty easy to find Zumba classes where I live so maybe you guys could try it out together or she could go with a friend. Once I started exercising, it made eating healthier much easier.
  • gnarlykickflip
    gnarlykickflip Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    A registered dietitian is probably a safer bet than a nutritionist afaik. I believe that almost anyone can become a nutritionist, whereas dietitians need to actually be educated. Not to say that all nutritionists are wrong, of course, but I think a registered dietitian is more likely to know what they're talking about.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    As a mother of 2-teenage girls I agree counting calories isnt the best way forward, have u thought of slimming world? Filling up on.healthy food and limiting treats (syns), she would be learning how to permamently eat healthier without going hungry or getting obsessed about counting calories. The great thing is if your cooking slimminng world meals in normal portion size the whole family can enjoy she wont feel like shes been put on a 'diet'.