Fit Bit Users???

Options
mrsgoss
mrsgoss Posts: 57 Member
Hi All! I am an off/on again user of my fitbit BUT committing today to wearing it at least through the work week. With that being said, the reason I have stopped using it in the past is because I have always doubted the accuracy of them. It seems like arm movements are counted and that seemed inaccurate to me so I would stop using it. For example today, I did not sync it until I got into the car...I had 0 steps. I moved my arm around a few times and then hit sync and it said I had taken 19 steps???? This seriously made me want to take it off and NOT use it!! What is the point if it is going to count all arm movements and not steps? It seem like it would always be WAY over as I move my arms a ton for my job and throughout the day. I need an accurate count of my steps and what I burn calorie wise. I can't imagine you burn calories moving your arms around a few times and I create 19 steps? Come on...Suggestions? I guess what I need is some advice about how others have used their fitbit or what you have found to make it the most accurate for you?

Thanks,

OCD about the fitbit :)

Replies

• heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Wrist worn ones will, of course, count some arm movement. You could get a type that you put on your body elsewhere, which might be more accurate. Personally, I use it for activity. Does it count some steps that didn't happen? Sure, and other times it undercounts steps. Either way, it helps me to stay active and strive to be more active.
  • kimconner93
    kimconner93 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just read a study that said if you use an iPhone, it has the most accurate count of any tracker.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    For the most accurate count, get a FitBit One or Zip that's worn on the body, not the wrist.

The issue people have reported with the iPhone counter is that they don't always wear the phone, so it doesn't count the steps you take when not wearing it. (Obviously.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    They sometimes count extra steps, and miss some at other times. I think it evens out in the end. I have a fitbit Alta, and it doesn't credit under 5 steps at a time. So, say I walk 4 steps from here to the bathroom, those steps won't be counted, they only get counted if i do 5 steps in a row or over.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    For the most accurate count, get a FitBit One or Zip that's worn on the body, not the wrist.

The issue people have reported with the iPhone counter is that they don't always wear the phone, so it doesn't count the steps you take when not wearing it. (Obviously.)

Yep. I had the One and it was way more accurate than the Charge that I currently have. My Charge mostly under counts steps though so it just makes me move even more.