Anyone using or used Medifast?

Options
Hey ya'll! I'm on day 3 of my Medifast journey and I was wondering if anyone has tried it before? If so, did you like it? How did you feel? Any comments or suggestions would be helpful!

Replies

• mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I did it but all the weight plus some came back when I stopped the diet. I lost a ton in a short time (50 lbs in under 4 months) but it wasn't good for me. I was not healthy following their guidelines of fruits and veggies I shouldn't eat and craved all the off limit foods especially breads.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that used it. She's gained all the weight back plus some. It's an extremely low calorie diet with temporary results.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that used it. She's gained all the weight back plus some. It's an extremely low calorie diet with temporary results.

I had a friend who did it too. My friend said she enjoyed the food while she did it, and she lost weight, but before long she got tired of it and stopped. Since then she's been gaining the weight back steadily.
  • Gerbsxyng412
    Gerbsxyng412 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I did it a few years ago.. didn't care for it but my dietician approved it.. only lost 25 lbs in 6 months and gained 45 after I quit following the program. I have had success at eating lower carb/higher protein and cutting out junk food, pop and eating out.
  • One_life_2_live
    One_life_2_live Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a similar plan. Still 5/1, but it does allow 2 fruits and one starch per day.... I did the fruit for he first few days just to get me thru, but not the starch. I have a terrible problem with low blood sugar! Anyway, I'm about 2 weeks in and I've lost about 8-10 lbs depending on my scale and the time of day. A good friend of mine is doing medifast and has lost like 40 lbs in 3 mos. it's very expensive. My plan is slightly cheaper. I'm hoping to do it for 2-3 mos then transition to a lower carb lifestyle.
  • thrsaver
    thrsaver Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My friend is down 65 pounds and looks great. She is working on becoming a health coach. I started today. So far so good.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    How's your plan going? I know this post is a few weeks old... but I started MF with a Take Shape for Life coach and I love it. I'm coming up on 3 weeks, have minimal cravings and tons of energy. The big thing for me was getting past the cravings, the first few days. I also had to let go of some old beliefs... what helps me is the structure and I have an awesome support system in place, working with my coach. Wishing you the best!
  • staindgal
    staindgal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was on Medifast years ago, and I loved it. I was losing weight and had so much energy!

The downside is that there's really no wiggle room to eat normal foods when you go out with friends/family. I felt awkward carrying my prepackaged foods with me when I went out with friends, and ultimately failed!

But while I was on plan, I felt great! Super energetic!
  • terriwik
    terriwik Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for almost 11 weeks -- lost 42# but weight loss isn't the #1 reason I went on it. I'm a type II diabetic (ultimately the weight loss will help that), but my sugars, even with almost 200 units of regular insulin (translate about 8 shots a day) and almost 100 units of basil insulin at night, were OUT OF CONTROL and I was gaining weight at incredible speed.

The first week, my doctor took off the regular insulin and within 3 weeks, I was off the basil as well. She monitors my blood sugars daily. For me, Medifast has been a literal lifesaver. The smaller clothes are simply a nice side benefit.

• KarenZedan
    KarenZedan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i lost 40 but gained 8 back from our fasting month of ramadan. started eating dessert at night and did not follow program. finally starting again today. goal is to lose 30 by mid december.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My mom did it and lost 60lbs and is now a health coach for take shape/ medifast. I think it's great for people who need to lose weight for health reasons and then are able to maintain that weight. My mom has done a great job staying her tiny self since stopping the weightloss phase of it years ago. She looks amazing and still incorporates the medifast foods Into her daily diet cause it's what she enjoys. I always thought she was beautiful, but now she's a beautiful tiny momma thanks to the help of takeshape(: She also has arthritis and autoimmune and the weightloss really helped her joints(:
  • Karrin22
    Karrin22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 5/1 Medifast plan. It definitely works. Unfortunately this is my 3rd time back on it : / I didn't transition off the program properly so I regained. Been back on it since April and have lost about 75 so far. It can be challenging because it is restrictive, but on the other hand I like that the meals are simple and portion controlled.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I was considering Take Shape for Life just before I started MFP. I feel like if someone can't make food choices themselves and might be very time constrained, it might work well. My ObGyn used it and shed 100lbs in a little more than a year. I was actually planning on failing at MFP and was going to do Medifast as a last-ditch effort before considering weight loss surgery.

The main information I have read is that transitioning to maintenance and off of the prescribed food can be challenging, which makes sense.

MFP helps with that a little better because if you are as overweight as I am, you have 1+ years practicing at food management.
  • Ciws70
    Ciws70 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm also starting Medifast; though I admit I'm nervous about regain. I see a lot of negative MF posts about regain, but I guess I'm here again because of all the times I've lost and regained over the years. I'm planning that Medifast will be different. Would love to have a few folks also doing this to chat with! Thanks and good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ciws70 wrote: »
    I'm also starting Medifast; though I admit I'm nervous about regain. I see a lot of negative MF posts about regain, but I guess I'm here again because of all the times I've lost and regained over the years. I'm planning that Medifast will be different. Would love to have a few folks also doing this to chat with! Thanks and good luck!

Hi, @Ciws70, given that you talk about yo-yo dieting (losing/gaining), I have an idea.

Why not set the Medifast plan aside for awhile, set up your weight loss goals at MFP, weigh your solids and measure your liquids, and work really hard to stay in your calorie goals? I guarantee if you eat at a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

I suggest doing this for a month to see if you can do it. I, personally, know you can do it because lots of people and I did it, but this is something you have to find out for yourself. :)

P.S. Love your Wonder Woman avatar! :D
  • Ciws70
    Ciws70 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind reply SLLRunner. I have been doing just that and was successful; dropped 20 lbs and kept if off so far. But I'm looking for faster losses as I am in the military and we get weighed/measured in about 30 days and I'm not where I need to be. I've been too close too often recently, so just needed to take things up a notch so I don't embarrass myself here. :blush: Thanks and have a great day!

I love Lynda Carter as WW too - no disrespect to Gal Gadot intended!
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was on MF in 2013, lost 70 pounds in 6 months. I also lost 35 before that just counting calories, for a total of 105 pounds. I've since regained 35 after I went back to my old habits. Any ketotic diet will make you gain a FEW pounds once you reintroduce carbs but more weight gain than that is from running a calorie surplus.

I love MF and just got back on it to lose these 35 and maybe 10 more. Only 3 days in and I already feel better. Good luck Wonder Woman!
  • eferrisla
    eferrisla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just started myself today! Hoping Medifast does the trick. I have 60 pounds to loose.