Bat wings/arms?

Options
LAWoman72
LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
Oh great Caesar's ghost! I was just doing my hair before going out and I saw that I am getting saggy/droopy cottage cheese batwings!

I have lost 32 lbs. so far and have been working out, including arms, but perhaps not very heavily on the arms. I have been doing all this at home. I am joining a gym next month. :) But in the meantime...what can I do??? Anyone have any great exercises for the upper inner arm area? That's where this is showing.

It's bad, folks...bad. I didn't have this at a heavier weight (I know because I have been wearing tanks for at least half the year for more than a decade now, since I moved to a warm-weather area). So it may be related to the weight/volume loss. Or that's what I'm assuming. I don't think it's "just skin," though, as I have more fat there, as elsewhere, to lose, and because as I understand it, skin is quite thin, whereas I can definitely "grab" a bit of this.

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Oh.. and I do lots of push ups, again, I started these with a countertop, then hit the floor. My arms are getting there. I can see the difference in the past 3 weeks.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    ^ Thank you very much! Going to get down to it right now. This is distressing! I look like my mother-in-law!

I made a mistake describing things...it's not actually my inner arms...it's hanging down, when my arms are out like a T.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's fat and loose skin. Continue losing fat and be patient while your skin shrinks. Do your arm exercises if you'd like but keep in mind that they won't shrink the skin and their calorie burn will go toward full body fat loss, as spot fat loss isn't going to happen.
  • LAWoman72
    edited June 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It's fat and loose skin. Continue losing fat and be patient while your skin shrinks. Do your arm exercises if you'd like but keep in mind that they won't shrink the skin and their calorie burn will go toward full body fat loss, as spot fat loss isn't going to happen.

Thanks very much. As I said, I'm not hoping for spot reduction. It won't happen. What I was unnerved about was the fact that when I was heavier I DIDN'T have these. (I don't even see them in pictures of myself at my former weight, so I don't think I'm just hallucinating...though ya never know!) That was a little alarming to me. It's what made me think it may be some sort of permanent sag. There is still loss to come (all over) but I'd have thought if it were excess fat that were the issue, I'd have had these when I was much fatter, not now that I'm thinner. That is also why I was hoping toning of some sort might come into play.

Until I'm down to a healthy weight I don't expect to look great anywhere, so I don't imagine I'll do arm exercises and have great arms even though I weigh 179 pounds. But if there's something I can do about this issue that will ultimately leave me with no bat wings (or with as subtle bat wings as possible), that's what I want to be doing. :)

Thank you, everyone.