My chest just doesn't grow!

Options
2»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Here's one simple method you can attempt.

Bench 3 days per week.

Day 1 4x10
    Day 2 4x8
    Day 3 5x6

(Day 2 will be slightly heavier than Day 1, and Day 3 will be slightly heavier than Day 2)

Leave 1 to 2 reps in the tank at the completion of the final set (you'll likely have a few more in the tank on the earlier sets). Adjust the weight on the bar accordingly if this condition is not met. In other words don't worry about training to failure.

Each week provided you've met the previous condition, make a small weight increase (5lbs or so).

Of course you CAN try to throw a bunch of accessory exercises at your chest and that's not necessarily a bad approach but I'd bet you'll get more mileage out of taking a period of time where you bench press frequently and with the INTENT to get stronger at the bench.

As Dope mentioned, getting stronger allows you to accumulate additional volume and this is what provides you with the opportunity to grow.

There are plenty of other methods but generally speaking I would bench often, I would progressively add load to the bar, I would leave just a little room in the tank most of the time.

Finally, learn how to bench properly. Dave Tate has a good video series on youtube.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Wanted to add something too:

The issue isn't going to be fixed by confusing your muscles or adding in a certain exercise.

The issue will be fixed by finding an appropriate method of training your chest in such a way that

a) Volume is adequate to stimulate growth
    b) Volume is not too much to recover from
    c) you are able to gradually increase volume over time (basically: get stronger)

Throwing a bunch of random exercises at your chest might help in the short term in that it will give you an immediate volume increase but it's not going to meet all of the above conditions which is why taking a more structured approach will likely be a whole lot better.