Breastfeeding and food diary question

Options
My daughter will be a year old on the 4th and we are still nursing maybe 2-4 times a day. I was adding breastfeeding to my log for -500 calories when she was exclusively nursing. I'm wondering if I should still keep adding it? Or not. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• Zewwy
    Zewwy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I really don't know but I stopped adding it to my diary around that time, maybe a little earlier. Once my daughter was relying more on solid food I just didn't feel the same about breastfeeding or the calorie burn. So you could take it off or maybe estimate of you like.

that might not help much, just wanted to share my personal experience!
  • SallyKaPow
    SallyKaPow Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I found that if I ate my breastfeeding calories, I didn't lose. That could just be me though. So I personally don't eat mine.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Once my daughter was well established on solids (around 8 mos) I dropped from an extra 500 to an extra 300 cal per day. She'll be 1 yr in August and is still nursing a few times a day, but I don't add any calories anymore. If you are still losing with the extra 500, go ahead and keep eating them :) but if your loss is slowing or stops, you'll need to cut back. Just do it gradually, or your supply can take a hit (don't cut the 500 all at once, step it down).
  • SabrinaJ89
    SabrinaJ89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I think I'm not going to keep adding it. Since she's nursing less and less I almost feel like it's be cheating with my calories because I really doubt I need that many right now, plus I'm still eating over 1800 a day so that should be sufficient.
  • crystalnichle
    crystalnichle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding my second baby (6months) and when I was with my first I would eat back the 500 calories and caused me to gain weight. I dont worry about even logging the burned calories this time and I've been losing and no issues with milk supply.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Once he turned 1 I switched to 200 extra calories a day and then have slowly dropped those extra as well. He's 18 months now and nursing like 2 times a day maybe 3. I'm in maintenance and if I stick to my calories perfectly I would lose weight but that gives me some flexibility to go over sometimes. :)
  • lTlasha
    lTlasha Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How do you add the breastfeeding calories onto your diary?