Macro % for gaining lbs

Options
I've set my goals. I'm trying to Gian about 15 lbs of good wieght. I was wonder what I should set my macro percentages to?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You don't do macros by percentages. You want to do them by grams.

.8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass
    .35-.6g of fat per lb of lean body mass
    The rest carbs.

Adjust fats and carbs based on personal preference.

To to gain weight, you need a surplus first. Macros only matter if calories are high enough. Have a good progressive overload routine ( like one of these) and get some sleep. If you want to minimize fat gains (because roughly 50% of your gains will be fat), then have a smaller surplus.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Calories will determine weight gain or loss. TDEE+500calories = 1lb gained per week. Slow bulk is TDEE+250 calories = 0.5lbs gained per week.

Meet the minimum requirements of macros (stated by u/psulemon above) with enough protein (to build muscle) and fat (for hormone and body function regulation), then you can have the rest in any shape or form you want.
    If you want to be more advanced; you can do higher carbs on work out days (have high protein high carb meals pre and post workout) and then higher fat days on rest days (have high protein high fat meals and medium to low carbs).

Pay attention to which macros affect your body. Some people see greater benefits with more fat, others with more carbs.