1001 Days

Options
GorillaNJ
GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
1001 days ago I logged on her the first time and I keep coming back... A quick time for me to reflect on where I was and where I am...

I was a miserable person. I do not know what I weighed because I refused to step on a scale... but I am guessing I was north of 320lbs. I had never been a small person, but I never would have pictured myself where I was then. One day in meeting a co-worker. Not a real close friend or anything like that, told me to speak with him in my his office after a meeting. Expecting a project of some sort I went in and he gave me a small piece of paper that said Myfitnesspal.com. He told me to check it out and I needed to to something about where my weight was going.

I was outraged... but played it cool. Went back to my office and put that scrap of paper in my desk drawer and did not look at it... I knew he was right but I am way too stubborn to admit that so quickly. The weekend came... and as if my eyes had not been opened enough i was smacked in the face. I was a coach for my oldest son's football team. The coaches shirts came in.. the biggest size they had squeezed me like I was 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag. I noticed other father running and playing with the kids, and there was no way I could do that.... Here I am in that shirt actually a couple of pounds down from my worst.

startingh.jpg

I hated that shirt.. i would stretch it over and over again so i could just put it on... But then I logged into MFP. Met some great supportive friends and I was logging every bite of food. What do you know... the weight started coming off. Slowly but surely it was going. So I knew it was time to step it up.. I went and joined a local gym and picked up a copy of the New Rules of Lifting. That book became my bible for a year. By time the spring came I felt like a new man... I added some running into routine, even trained myself for and completed my first 5k. I was 70lbs lighter then when I first stepped on the scale, and my new coaching shirt was a smaller size and fit MUCH better.

102011007.jpg

The next year I sort of wondered... was logging here everyday but not really watching the food but still hitting the gym. Making better and better friendships on here, but slowly putting some weight back on... not a ton of weight but a good 20lbs snuck back onto me, maybe some muscle and definitely some more beer belly.

photo7cns.jpg

So football season passed and guess what.. I had not really kicked my @ss as much as I needed to and the weight was still coming... thankfully my good friend from here Sara had convinced me to sign up for the Spartan Sprint in Tuxedo NY. When I had signed up I knew I would not be able to do most anything that was involved with it... so it turned into a major goal. A goal that had me cut the carbs from my diet, had me getting up at 4:30 in the morning to run and practice my army crawls across cold wet baseball fields. Have me trail running a small mountain near my house, and switching my workout from NROL to 5/3/1 to better assist my running. I became a regular at 5am in my gym and made fast showers and fast drives to the train into an art form. All that hard work paid off... without the major details that race was one of the hardest and best things I have ever done for myself and it was thanks to my team that I finished so proud!

auxd.jpg

So where does that leave me now... 1001 days into making myself better. Being 5'9" and 247lbs (checked this morning) I still have 47lbs until I reach my weight goal. I am planning on doing that Spartan Sprint again next year but I am trying to find some sort of goal to focus in the less long term then that... I'm still lifting at 5 but those 4:30 runs are becoming less frequent.

Here is the first coaching shirt today
78m9.jpg

I do have a lot of friends on here, some who I am closer with then others. Over 1001 days you see a lot of people come and go, some who impact you very deeply, some who are just fun to talk to! Both are important, in my eyes at least. Some friends who leave and you miss and some that leave and you are relieved! So many people even if we do not talk much inspire me with their commitment to fitness and hard work, or some with their commitment to snarky humor!

I did not want to call this before and after because I am not at after... and actually probably will never be an AFTER, but before and no rocking a suit
vqar.jpg

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Awesome, keep up the good work!!! See you at the Spartan in 2014!!!
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    *High five* buddy! great job! and I can't wait to see you for the next 1000 days =) a true inspiration to us all!
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats on 1001! Keep at it :)
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    That is just killer....... I loved how you stuck with it even after a little of the weight returned
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    This is so amazing! Great job, dude! I'm sure your son is beyond proud of you. :)
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What an awesome story! Great work!
  • jjay23
    jjay23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    you really have done an amazing job! well done for keeping at it and setting goals! you are looking great :)
  • lcransaw
    lcransaw Posts: 95
    Options
    Keep up the good work!!! I see the progress!
  • SACasto
    SACasto Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! You have done what most people can only dream of, and look amazing! Congrats!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!!!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    You are awesome :flowerforyou: Amazing job!
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Don't know how old you are, but your "after" sure looks 10 years younger than your "before". PLUS, your children are really lucky to be getting a dad who's getting a year younger with ever pound of loss instead of getting a year older with every pound of gain.....
  • Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You're awesome, G. I am so happy to call you my MFP friend. Keep on, keepin' on!
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!!!!! You will kill those 47 lbs! ;)
  • jessmastrilli
    jessmastrilli Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Wow, great job!! You look great! :)
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    1001 reasons to never give up . . . Good job !
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Did you ever say anything to the guy who gave you that scrap of paper? :smile:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic post, and what an awesome job you are doing!! Can't wait to see where the next 1,001 days takes you!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    You are AWESOME!

It was fun watching your son grow in the pictures too. I think you're going to inspire him a lot too. =)
  • TreEe5
    TreEe5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! You're such an inspiration!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!