Does Herbalife Really Work?

Hi there - I recently started doing Herbalife because a friend is a rep. He has lost 11 pounds in 2 weeks which I find extreme.
However it is working for him.

But I want to hear from others that have tried it and like it.
What are your thoughts on the program?
Did you have a special meal plan?
What are the drawbacks of the program?
What happens when you stop Herbalife?

Thanks everyone out there!!!

Replies

• CatAMcC
    CatAMcC Posts: 166 Member
    yea it works - as you are not eating proper food.

I dropped 3 stone in under 3 months 10 years ago and I cycled for an hour every day too. Slowly gained as went back to eating solids. Its not nice, its miserable and its only a quick fix.

If you go for it hope works out for you but in the long term it will not help.

Think about what you really want but had to share my experiences
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    [
    It is a super low calorie diet. You may lose some weight, but it likely won't help you in the long run. Eating that few calories could make you lose water and muscle, as opposed to fat. Also, it is overpriced. Don't waste your money. Just eat less and move more.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Pretty much any diet plan works if it you stick with it.. but if you do Herbalife and don't learn to eat differently for good you're going to gain weight back when you stop doing the program.
  • buffyfan22
    buffyfan22 Posts: 54
    What they said ^

Yes it works, for a short time. What people don't get is that if you eat "no sodium", "no sugar", etc.. it's only short term loss because once you start eating "normal" again after you reach your goal, you'll EASILY blow back up. You have to treat weight loss as a lifestyle change. The best way to do this is using the IIFYM (if it fits your macros) method. I just learned about it and it's honestly the best way to go because you can have "cheat" meals as long as it fits your macros. Obviously, it's best to eat "clean" as opposed to eating crap though lol but this is the most sustainable method because you're not limited to only "clean" foods and therefore, eating a sodium-packed meal won't blow you back up and it keeps you sane which is the most important thing. Anyways, learn about it if you'd like. :)
  • igypsy
    igypsy Posts: 64 Member
    I lost at least 2 lbs a week on 2 shakes a day. Ended up losing about 20 lbs over a few months.

I agree with Cat - you lose weight because you aren't eating real food.

Pros:
    Weight loss
    No cellulite

Cons:
    Feeling weak, no energy, feeling a real lack of "power" when trying to work out
    Headaches
    Never learned how to eat properly, so as soon as I stopped the shakes the weight came back
    Having to hold my nose while downing the shakes because after a while they just taste horrid in every flavour

I think you have to be REALLY disciplined to slowly wean yourself off the shakes once you reach your goal, and then to actively try and teach yourself how to eat properly to avoid gaining it all back.

The best way is unfortunately the hard way!
  • Momma2Beauties405
    Momma2Beauties405 Posts: 32 Member
    I'm going to disagree with a lot of the replies you have seen so far. I began using Herbalife - replacing 2 meals a day with Shakes - on April 12, 2013. I have continued using MFP to track all food and exercise. My goal is to stay between 1200-1500 Net Calories.

I have noticed since beginning Herbalife that I have WAY more energy. About 3 weeks in, I actually FELT LIKE starting an activity program again. Since starting the program 3 months ago, I have only dropped 8 pounds off the scale but NSV's are WAY better - I have a TON more energy, I have dropped 2 dress sizes and have noticed that my portion sizes have naturally decreased as I have gotten my "needs" in check.

I believe it is the same as any other plan. It isn't the program itself that works - you have to do the work. The reason I am a firm believer is because I have used it as a TOOL - not a end-all-do-all - in changing my lifestyle. I didn't expect the program to do the work for me.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Years ago I used those shakes and lost 30 lbs in 2 months, funny 'cause I drank 1 in the morning + a bunch of pills, mid day I ate all that I could even dessert then another shake for dinner + pills and lost 33 lbs in 2 months went from 165 to 132 from size 12 to size 6, however...got pregnant and gained 45 lbs, what I lost plus some, and since I didn't learned to eat right,I had my baby and couldn't lose the weight, I did try with the shakes "again" but Nope for some reason it didn't work anymore I was hungry all the time, but still I "wasted" a lot of $$$ (those are expensive!) and was hungry all the time :(
    Anyways after that I joined Weight Watchers and lost 40 lbs the right way in 2 years, but the best part is that I'm keeping the weight off for almost 5 years, so my opinion:The shakes work because is a low calorie "meal"it may help you if you are busy, or don't eat breakfast or whatever to keep you under your cals limit but still, to keep the weight off you'll need to learn whats going to work in the long run, bc losing is only one part of the equation right? :) Good Luck!
  • redwolf6
    redwolf6 Posts: 17 Member
    Bump
  • minijag06
    minijag06 Posts: 70
    I drink one herbal life shake a day for the nutrition factor. For the people who think they taste terrible - you must not have the shake flavor list. This morning I had White Chocolate Snickers and yesterday I had Lemon Cupcake. Yum Yum.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    I forgot to mention that there are better meal replacements in the market than Herbalife or Slim Fast with more protein and fiber, less calories, carbs, sugar and $$$ ;)
  • Herbalife is hi-quality nutrition at junk food prices. It's way more than just reducing bad/excessive fats, carbohydrates, sugars, calories ...it's about giving our body the right balance of quality vitamins, minerals, fibers, complex carbohydrates, essential fatty acids, proteins, etc

I've used Herbalife everyday for over 20 years - saving money on poor quality nutrition from restaurants and supermarkets! As you know good nutrition is expensive - a meal at McDonald's ($6) a meal at seafood restaurant ($15) Now ask yourself did my body get a complete balanced meal at these 2 restaurants --- the is NO

Find out why Herbalife has success in 88 countries - answer: the results from the products --- the products are amazing - hope you can benefit from them immensely and don't base your future on the opinions of those that never try it or try it and failed - but listen to those that have succeeded with Herbalife. Listening to successful people is a good tip and it also applies to any other goal you will be wanting to achieve in your life.

Love and Light ...
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Herbalife is hi-quality nutrition at junk food prices. It's way more than just reducing bad/excessive fats, carbohydrates, sugars, calories ...it's about giving our body the right balance of quality vitamins, minerals, fibers, complex carbohydrates, essential fatty acids, proteins, etc

I've used Herbalife everyday for over 20 years - saving money on poor quality nutrition from restaurants and supermarkets! As you know good nutrition is expensive - a meal at McDonald's ($6) a meal at seafood restaurant ($15) Now ask yourself did my body get a complete balanced meal at these 2 restaurants --- the is NO

Find out why Herbalife has success in 88 countries - answer: the results from the products --- the products are amazing - hope you can benefit from them immensely and don't base your future on the opinions of those that never try it or try it and failed - but listen to those that have succeeded with Herbalife. Listening to successful people is a good tip and it also applies to any other goal you will be wanting to achieve in your life.

Love and Light ...

So, like, is this copied directly from the Herbalife website or what?
  • destiny364us
    destiny364us Posts: 50 Member
    I use Herbalife shake mix; I don’t take the vitamins or anything extra. I have lost 8lbs in 2 months and lost 12 inches. I don't always have the 2 shakes a day. I also try to do at least 30 mins of cardio a day. There is a location close to me Core Nutrition that offers nutrition classes. I believe that learning portion control and implementing small changes helps, like getting off my butt. When I first starting researching the products I wasn't sure it was for me. However I had recently changed jobs, and was on their local website and saw someone I knew when they were obese. This person had lost 130lbs and over 70 inches, it was amazing to see someone I actually knew use the program. There is no such thing as a quick fix, but I do believe in this product. To me anything you do become a lifestyle changes not just some diet. People stay on Weight Watchers, Atkins, and Beach Body Shakeology for the rest of their lives, because they like the results and the way the feel. I would recommend Herbalife. Feel free to add me.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Herbalife is hi-quality nutrition at junk food prices. It's way more than just reducing bad/excessive fats, carbohydrates, sugars, calories ...it's about giving our body the right balance of quality vitamins, minerals, fibers, complex carbohydrates, essential fatty acids, proteins, etc

Love and Light ...

Amazing first post!! But no, no, no, you cannot advertise on the boards. Nice try though.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Bump
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Pyramid scheme! You can buy better supplements for less money. Or just eat real food!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Hi there - I recently started doing Herbalife because a friend is a rep. He has lost 11 pounds in 2 weeks which I find extreme.
    However it is working for him.

But I want to hear from others that have tried it and like it.
    What are your thoughts on the program?
    Did you have a special meal plan?
    What are the drawbacks of the program?
    What happens when you stop Herbalife?

Thanks everyone out there!!!

From what I can tell yours is a sincere inquiry. Please listen to those who have been here a while and have documented weight loss success. They will tell you, as a whole, that real food, giving it time, and building healthy habits is the way to go.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    I lost 40 pounds over the course of 8 months doing Herbalife. I was eating 1300-1500 calories a day with 90-110 g of protein, so I was not starving myself. I was not losing weight at a crazy pace. I was exercising. After losing 40 pounds though my weight loss stalled. I maintained the loss for the next couple of years, but just couldn't lose any more.

This year I finally took a different plan of attack. I hired a trainer. I started eating "real" foods. I do still drink a meal replacement shake for breakfast every day (either Herbalife or AdvoCare) because that's what works for me and my schedule, but I eat regular meals & snacks the rest of the day. I didn't feel unhealthy doing 2 shakes a day, but it's not sustainable long-term, and it really doesn't teach you how to eat healthy.
  • silversnare25
    silversnare25 Posts: 21 Member
    Yes, It works. I started using it with my INSANITY training, but didn't really see any results because I wasn't sticking to it. I've been working hard for the past month and have seen amazing results. 8.8 lbs in 3 weeks

Not to get too scienc-y but here's why it works. We concentrate on THREE things... which can be achieved with any diet 1) hit you H2O requirements, which is half you body weight in ounces 2) hit your protein goal, which is calculated by a coach 3) stay around your calorie goals, also targeted by a coach.

point blank, these results CAN be achieve eating whatever you want, if you are VERY selective and dedicated to the multitudes of food prep and label reading involved. Same goes for any program. Herbalife, or any other protein out there, just tries to simplify that by giving you concentrated protein for low calories.

However, AS WITH ANY WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM, if you aren't careful you will do harm

Ex:
    Doing two shakes a day but not bothering to drink your water bc you feel full. NO NO
    Doing three shakes a day.... BIG no no
    Doing any meal replacement without checking labels to see that your TOTAL nutrition ( essential vitamins and minerals) needs are being met.
    Doing GNC supplements without researching their side effects or the body's real nutritional needs
    Starving yourself to meet a calorie goal, yet only utilizing food that are "low cal" and negating their overall nutritional value (i.e. 100 cal cookie packets)
    etc...etc....etc

Bottom line, there are pros and cons to all lifestyles: vegan, vegetarian, paleo, atkins... you name it. You have to be well informed in order to get the best out of any of them.

If you want to know more, just PM me..... I AM NOT ADVERTISING THE USE OF ANY SPECIFIC PROGRAM.... just like to get facts straight
  • nikkochic
    nikkochic Posts: 3 Member
    Real person, real fitness goal, real opinion.

I have been herbalife since feb 2013.

Have lost 38lbs , went down to size 18 to a size 12ish. depending on the style. I am very curvy woman.. LOL

I feel if you don't have the mindset and focus on changing your eating lifestyle any diet would be a quick fix.

I have changed my entire eating lifestyle and truly believe my wellness coaches have guided me to proper nutrition.
    I drink two shakes/smoothies a day with a reg clean meal. and about three snacks a day. I say smoothies because, Instead of just a reg shake I add fruits and veggies to herbalife products.
    On days I don't feel like having two shakes, I make sure my meals are as healthy as possible.

You cant expect to lose weight on a diet and then immediately going back to having a crappy bad meals. It will just come back and then you will blame the diet plan. HONESTLY!

I exercise up to 5x a week various activities, zumba, strength training, toning classes, jogging, etc..

People tend to ask dont you feel deprived or hungry. Honestly no. I get all my nuturition. I feel full and not bloated and stuffed.

products I used reg.

Meal nutritional shakes
    PPP
    aloe mango
    any of the teas
    cellulose
    multivitamins

other than that, I will occasionally have the protein snack bars. feel free to add me my diary is public. Nikkochic

Nicole