Keep cutting or recomp for stubborn fat

Options
sardelsa
sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
edited June 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I am confused and wondering what direction I should take at this point.
Right now I am currently cutting. I’m sure many other women are in the same boat as me, I have some really stubborn fat pockets on my upper legs/just below the glutes.. everything else is looking great and I am seeing some positive changes (in my upper body, abs, rest of my legs) but that area doesn’t seem to be getting any better as I lose. So my question is, when do you decide to abandon ship and give up on cutting? Do you think it will be possible for these stubborn spots to go down with lower bf%, or is my muscle base not great enough. I am wondering if I should I just spend the rest of the summer in recomp before bulking again in the fall?

My Stats:
Height: 5’7”,
Weight: 127.4lbs
Current BF%: 20-21%? I have no idea

I bulked in fall/winter 2014 so I have a decent muscle base. Got pregnant spring 2015.
Currently eating at maintenance but losing slowly (nursing). Lifting 3x per week doing a variation of Strong Curves.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would probably slowly cut, ensure adequate protein and lift heavy.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you have no idea what your bodyfat % is how are you suppose to determine things?
    Find a way to test your BF%, understand your LBM and total fat - then determine what is best.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You are light weight for your height and if your pictures are recent those fat pockets are very well hidden!

As you like Strong Curves have you read Bret Contreras on the pros and cons?

https://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    5'7" and 127lb sounds good, and I don't see "fat pockets", if your pictures are recent, so maybe your mind is magnifying them?

Some curve in the legs is natural, you can't necessarily get rid of all the fat there without getting rid of too much body fat - can't spot reduce.

Also if you are nursing, you may be holding on to a little more fat right now - hormones are different while nursing so your body does some different things. I think you are doing exactly right to eat at maintenance for 125-127lb and work out. Re-evaluate a few months after the baby weans.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    We don't always lose fat evenly, so those difficult areas will take more cutting before they go away. If you're sick of cutting, then take a break for a little while and accept those areas will be there a little longer. If you're okay with continuing to cut, then you'll need to cut a little while longer to get rid of those problem areas.

Recomp is very slow, so don't expect to lose that stubborn fat that way just over the summer. And if you bulk, then you will gain both muscle and fat, so I wouldn't expect those stubborn areas to improve that way either.

Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of the fat is to be in a deficit. If you need a break then take it. You can always go back to cutting. So just do what you enjoy.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Based on your picture, I am all for a recomp.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    If you have no idea what your bodyfat % is how are you suppose to determine things?
    Find a way to test your BF%, understand your LBM and total fat - then determine what is best.

I usually just go by the mirror, measurements and progress pics so I know I am moving in the right direction. If I was competing maybe I would be more concerned, however at this point I know most BF% measurements aren't really that accurate and I'm not willing to pay for a DEXA scan or something at this point.

sijomial wrote: »
    You are light weight for your height and if your pictures are recent those fat pockets are very well hidden!

As you like Strong Curves have you read Bret Contreras on the pros and cons?

https://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/

@sijomial Yea thanks I have read that article...and I still feel kind of lost as to what to do! The thing is I am pretty light for my height, and I've run a bulk/cut before so I figured I could increase my muscle mass with a bulk as opposed to recomping.

@robininfl yea it is coming to the point where the fat isn't coming off there, also I do agree that hormones due to nursing can factor in as well since I seem to be holding on differently compared to before.

Thanks everyone. I think I will cut for a little while longer then ease into maintenance and recomp for awhile until I decide what I want to do. I'm just not sure what to expect from recomp since I only bulked/cut before. I guess I'm a little hesitant to spend so much time recomping and not have anything to show for it.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately your reaction to bulk/cut or recomp is very personal. People fail or succeed using both methods.

I know that at my advanced age bulking just means getting fatter - my rate of potential muscle growth is slow and eating more then I need isn't going to change that.

I also know from experience that my training and growth is relatively unaffected by modest calorie deficit or surplus. The key to my results is 90% training and 10% diet so I train for my goals and eat to maintain or manipulate my weight.

Your circumstances and results may well differ.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Unfortunately your reaction to bulk/cut or recomp is very personal. People fail or succeed using both methods.

I know that at my advanced age bulking just means getting fatter - my rate of potential muscle growth is slow and eating more then I need isn't going to change that.

I also know from experience that my training and growth is relatively unaffected by modest calorie deficit or surplus. The key to my results is 90% training and 10% diet so I train for my goals and eat to maintain or manipulate my weight.

Your circumstances and results may well differ.

Yup. I think I will just have to be patient and see what works. I am pretty close to my goal so for me recomp might be my best bet for now
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP you do not log food here in MFP? You stated you were eating maintenance but loosing slowly? So you are already "cutting"?

Find your mainteannce calories when the time comes and I think you could do a recomp for a while. It is a sloooooow process, but you can do it..
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if you weigh and measure your food as well. I never have and I've maintained for years. BUT, now I want to recomp and lose fat in the same areas as you so I recently bought a scale and am learning to weigh and log. I know precision is the only way for me to see what I need to change.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I would say continue with small deficit - 250 calories - until you feel that your body fat is sub 20% and then go for a slow bulk or recomp.....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OP you do not log food here in MFP? You stated you were eating maintenance but loosing slowly? So you are already "cutting"?

Find your mainteannce calories when the time comes and I think you could do a recomp for a while. It is a sloooooow process, but you can do it..

OP has bulked, cut, maintained etc....I guess you missed that statement in her OP ...
  • sardelsa
    edited June 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Yes I am cutting losing about 0.5lbs per week.

No I don't log food atm. I was loosely logging before eating around 2500-2700 (approx). I am breastfeeding so eating around maintenance - 500 = a small deficit, sorry if that was confusing!

If I do recomp or bulk I will definitely have to start weighing and measuring my intake in order to eat enough not to lose.

-Also to add my maintenance cals will be kind of a moving target once we introduce solids and I am nursing less so there is really no sense in trying to figure it all out now!