Reality check about upswing in weight

Options
DKG28
DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
Over the course of a year, I lost 50 lbs and hit the top of the "normal" weight BMI. I maintained for 6 months, was really happy with myself. Lost a couple more and hit a low of 142 in February. Today I hit 164 and couldn't get my pants over my hips. I've "restarted" getting back on track every day for more than the past month. It worked so well the 1st time - I know I can do it, and I know counting works, but I guess I've worn myself out after a year and a half of weighing and counting every morsel of food. And, I know what folks will say about this, but those 50 lbs in a year - that was with 1000 daily calories. That's one lb a week, at 5'5". I just can't do that anymore. No medical issues...just had a physical. I'm not a yoyo dieter...those 50 lbs was the 1st time I ever tried, and so this is my first real upswing in weight ever. Man, it's such a mental challenge to get back on track, and so difficult when you have to haul out your fat clothes after so much enjoyment purchasing a smaller wardrobe. But I'm not giving up, and typing this is a way for me to address reality and get focused again. I have to make peace with the fact that I won't feel comfortable in my summer clothes this year, but I'll work hard all summer and be back on track in the fall. I'm sharing this because I know other folks are in the same boat, and reading your similar posts has helped me to keep going. For those of you facing summer clothing a bit disappointed, we're in it together, and we can fix this!

Replies

• GeoBaybee
    GeoBaybee Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    First of all, I will say great job on your original loss, but even more of a congratulations for realizing your downward spiral before it got too out of hand. I know your pain. I am also 5'5" and the first time I joined MFP in 2011 I went from 134 to 118 in 3 months and maintained that +10/-10 for 3 years. Since 2014 I have gone from 128 to 156! I finally had a reality check whenever I saw pictures of myself from my engagement party and didn't even want to post them to Facebook because I looked so awful. I am now on day 22 and down to 146. My goal is 120 by Oct 1. Hang in there! Add me if you need support. I log daily and its public to view.
  • denisehudak
    denisehudak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation struggling to lose 20 pounds that crept back on while I gave myself permission to just eat "normally" and continuing to exercise. Keep reminding yourself where you were and try to give yourself a little pep talk each morning to just maintain your healthy lifestyle. I'm not sure how you lost your weight--I am a proponent of no sugar, unhealthy carbs, processed foods--I find that once I have been eating "right" for a week, it becomes easier each day as I actually prefer the healthier foods. The hardest part for me is realizing timing of eating certain foods like fruit. Fruit should be enjoyed early in the day and not at night. I had to stop drinking my glass of wine each evening because it totally stalled my weight loss because of the natural sugars in the wine. One tip that really works is the use of Apple Cidar vinegar (the kind that says "with the mother" on the bottle--Braggs is a good one to buy)-- taking this with a couple glasses of water really speeds up weight loss--I normally just drink some with a straw out of the bottle because it is horrible for your teeth!--and follow with 2 glasses of cold water each morning. It is tough to do-- but it really works well!
    One other tip I can offer you is making sure when you work out to do quick bursts of cardio--my kids are in their early twenties and both are fitness freaks (in a good way!)--they tell me that the short bursts of intense cardio is better than working out at a moderate intensity for hours a day! So when I am on a treadmill for instance, I work out normally and then every 3 minutes or so, I run as if I am being chased for a minute or two and then go back to an easy pace, and get my heart rate back to normal, and then repeat the intense cardio again throughout my workout. I also will stop at my high school track and just run up and down the bleacher steps ten times a couple times a week, along with doing strength training.
    I totally get the disappointment when your clothing isn't fitting-- It is depressing! I am refusing to buy new clothes right now, hoping that it motivates me to get back into shape more quickly! Hang in there--you have done it before, it may just take longer this time around! Day by day-- we got this!
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    From my experience, I can tell you that if you don't have the motivation, repeatedly re-starting and 'failing' every day won't work.

I recently moved across the country (NH to TX) and I didn't try to diet during that period. Between packing, leaving one job, starting another, driving 30 hours, moving into a new apartment, getting a puppy, getting a roommate, and doing all that with an anxiety disorder, there was no way I was even going to consider counting calories! (I didn't even unpack my food scale until over a week after I had moved in! And now it's sitting on the counter, taunting me.)

Since then I've had a few days in a row of "Okay, I'm starting.. today!" and then I would buy candy and get off track and say 'screw it!' and binge eat.

I think what you need to do is take a few days off. The next three days, just focus on eating less. Regimented eating, even. Pre-planned breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. Don't count the calories, just plan what it's gonna be. And then once you're in the 'restricted eating' mindset again, then maybe aim for a half pound of weight loss a week, and try to stick to your calories as best you can.

You've got this!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to why your calories were so low last time? At 5' 5", 41 and sedentary, I'm set for 1400 to lose 1/2lb a week. You should never go below 1200 unless supervised by a Dr (or very short with low BMR) otherwise you can affect your nutrition.

Set MFP for 1/2-1lb per week this time around. You don't have as much to lose and you'll be happier on higher calories and more likely to maintain it.

Best of luck @DKG28
  • DKG28
    Options
    I was going for 1200, but always felt like I needed to leave a buffer for errors in accuracy, and tasting things while cooking (I cook nearly everything from scratch, and don't use recipes, so tasting is essential. I'm huge herb and spice person). i'm also sedentary. aiming for 1200 also builds in some wiggle room for when I go over. I've figured out how to eat tons of volume for that many calories and i'm not a picky eater, but my soul cries out for reese's pieces cookies and chocolate. And no, i don't understand those folks who claim one or 2 piece of dark chocolate satisfy their itch!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big reese lover, still am. But I actually switched to Lindt 85% dark chocolate and LOVE it. Took me awhile, I started with the 70%. The dark chocolate means, for me, that I only need a little. The 10g pieces are small but you nibble on dark so it lasts longer. Even grate a little to put in my coffee.
    Still love my reese and usually have a mini here and there if we have a bag in the house. I'm not allowed more than that as my daughter won't let me cause they're usually hers lol. But I made sure not to limit my treats too much since I didn't want to fail by restricting foods.
    Same with chips. I need a high amount of sodium in my diet but I hate the evil water weight. I'm used to that as I usually have 15-30g of chips a day. Usually after my workouts when my blood pressure dips too much.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »
    Over the course of a year, I lost 50 lbs and hit the top of the "normal" weight BMI. I maintained for 6 months, was really happy with myself. Lost a couple more and hit a low of 142 in February. Today I hit 164 and couldn't get my pants over my hips. I've "restarted" getting back on track every day for more than the past month. It worked so well the 1st time - I know I can do it, and I know counting works, but I guess I've worn myself out after a year and a half of weighing and counting every morsel of food. And, I know what folks will say about this, but those 50 lbs in a year - that was with 1000 daily calories. That's one lb a week, at 5'5". I just can't do that anymore. No medical issues...just had a physical. I'm not a yoyo dieter...those 50 lbs was the 1st time I ever tried, and so this is my first real upswing in weight ever. Man, it's such a mental challenge to get back on track, and so difficult when you have to haul out your fat clothes after so much enjoyment purchasing a smaller wardrobe. But I'm not giving up, and typing this is a way for me to address reality and get focused again. I have to make peace with the fact that I won't feel comfortable in my summer clothes this year, but I'll work hard all summer and be back on track in the fall. I'm sharing this because I know other folks are in the same boat, and reading your similar posts has helped me to keep going. For those of you facing summer clothing a bit disappointed, we're in it together, and we can fix this!

Did you reverse diet out of your caloric deficit? Say for example when you started your fat loss you were eating 1500 cals and when you ended you were eating 1000 cals. When you reached your goal did you immediately return to your previous intake of 1500 cals?
  • jahillegas_51
    Options
    @SuperheroSadie Do you struggle with binge eating?:/
  • DKG28
    Options
    when I started trying to maintain it was more like a 1000 cal day, a 1500 day, a 2000 day, back to 1000 day - all over the place. I never did cheat meals while losing, so I thought at maintenance I could do that...but it all went downhill. I'm the type needs a really rigorous plan - flexibility doesn't work for me. Has to be the same every single day. Not having a dinner plan at breakfast can tempt me too greatly to grab something quick and greasy after work. But today I did well, and prepared all my food for the next two days. I have to run a bake sale on Fri and attend a wedding reception on Saturday...so temptations! Will have a plan.
  • jahillegas_51
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »
    when I started trying to maintain it was more like a 1000 cal day, a 1500 day, a 2000 day, back to 1000 day - all over the place. I never did cheat meals while losing, so I thought at maintenance I could do that...but it all went downhill. I'm the type needs a really rigorous plan - flexibility doesn't work for me. Has to be the same every single day. Not having a dinner plan at breakfast can tempt me too greatly to grab something quick and greasy after work. But today I did well, and prepared all my food for the next two days. I have to run a bake sale on Fri and attend a wedding reception on Saturday...so temptations! Will have a plan.

Hmm, thats okay whatever you do as long as you are happy with it thats all the matters:) In regards to everything going to hell, it sounds like you experienced bodyfat overshooting. Its a crap ton to explain in text, check out this video