Measuring Pasta

Options
How do you measure your pasta? I want to get a pasta measuring tool but the ones on Amazon all seem to have either widely inaccurate portion sizes or else were only reviewed by people who got the tool for free in exchange for a review, so I don't really trust their reviews. Is there a good, vetted brand of a pasta measuring tool that I should get?

I also don't have a food scale but am lightly considering getting one of those, would that be a better option?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find a food scale so much easier to use than measuring cups/spoons and devices.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Food scale, 56g is usually a portion in the US.

You should get a scale for all of your foods for the same price as a pasta measuring tool.
  • salamandastron
    salamandastron Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks, y'all! I really don't know much about food scales, is there a good one you'd recommend?
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    here a link of amazon food scales: link

I personally have this one
  • salamandastron
    salamandastron Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks, thiosulfate!
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    For pasta, you really need a food scale. Measure out your portion dry and cook it separately. This is the most accurate way.

I cook for a family, and cooking my portion separately isn't always possible (leftovers, you know). So I get a baseline by cooking the pasta by itself a few times and measuring it cooked to see how much water it absorbed. Do this a few times, and you'll get an idea of how many grams a cooked portion is. You'll have to do this for each type of pasta you make.

Besides measuring pasta, the scale makes logging so much more accurate across the board. Game changer.