Sugar free or regular creamer

Options
Is it better to have sugar free creamer than regular creamer? I hear such contradicting stories that sugar free is bad for you, and that real sugar is actually better. Any suggestions?

Replies

• CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I love sugar. But that is my preference. I don't like artificial sweeteners.
    Real food is best for you, as far as nutrition goes.
    If you use sugar-free, it will probably have an artificial sweetener in it.
    What are YOU most comfortable with? Can you fit it into your calories/macros?
    Don't sweat the small stuff.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Sugar is going to have more calories than sugar-free, are you prepared to cover those calories in your food plan?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I like the sugar free creamer in my coffee. Sugar free is not bad for you, contrary to what you may have heard.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Everything made of chemicals

This^^ even water!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    newwed412 wrote: »
    Is it better to have sugar free creamer than regular creamer? I hear such contradicting stories that sugar free is bad for you, and that real sugar is actually better. Any suggestions?

There is some emerging data that artificial sweeteners have a negative impact on gut bacteria that help to regulate
    glucose tolerance (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25231862/) There is also evidence that real sugar (i.e. "white" table sugar) can contribute to the kind of chronic inflammation that contributes to a variety of ills including heart disease (http://www.health.harvard.edu/family-health-guide/what-you-eat-can-fuel-or-cool-inflammation-a-key-driver-of-heart-disease-diabetes-and-other-chronic-conditions). So pick your poison :) I really don't think that the amounts of either related to coffee creamer are too concerning. I would rather have nature-made chemicals (cane sugar) plus I think it tastes better, but in a short term calorie deficit situation I would not shy away from "sugar free" if that helps you meet your goals.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I take your point, but there's a difference between chemical compounds with which we have had long experience and those created in a lab which we have begun to consume only recently. We don't know the long-term effects.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Sweeteners have been around for a very long time
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't an answer to your question, but have you thought of prioritizing your food choice instead of struggling to make this kind of decision?

Specifically, you could easily reduce or skip one or two bland, unimportant meals and create enough calorie deficit for you to enjoy many times your coffee the way you want?

That's what I do. I don't eat all boring meals and compromise my precious coffees. I don't juggle calories and end up having to consume mediocre foods. :)
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am drinking DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE!!!!

Which we have been consuming without ill effects since the dawn of humankind.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »

Not true
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I just checked my creamer. It's not "sugar free," but there's no sugar in it. (If that makes sense.) I use two tsp per coffee and have at least 2 coffees per day. That adds up to 40 calories, 4 carbs, 2 fat, 0 protein, and 0 sugar. (Creamer nutrition only.) You may just have to check labels, maybe switch brands.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »

Not true

touche
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I use half and half.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options

It's true. I use real fresh cream, and I also use splenda. *shrugs* I learned what works for me.
  • newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was just curious as to what everyone's opinion was. I have room in my calories for it. I am doing this weight loss thing for a second time around. Lost 50 pounds about a year and a half ago and then got sick and gained 40 pounds back (kicking myself in the butt)! Thanks for everyone's opinions!
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Lmao! :lol:
  • queenliz99
    Options
    newwed412 wrote: »
    I was just curious as to what everyone's opinion was. I have room in my calories for it. I am doing this weight loss thing for a second time around. Lost 50 pounds about a year and a half ago and then got sick and gained 40 pounds back (kicking myself in the butt)! Thanks for everyone's opinions!

The biggest part of losing is staying there. Place close attention to intake because when you hit your goal weight you are not done!!