Sodium??!! 1705 mg left

sirk3n
sirk3n Posts: 22 Member
Hi, I still have 1705 mg of sodium remaining for my diet.

How do I complete that? Do i just add salt to my shake or food? Please advise.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Side note: Make sure the data base entries are correct.
    Some people just input the basics and don't put the entire label.
    Ex: I think I saw that you take Six Star Protein Powder. 2 scoops has 130 sodium (the one I looked at).
    * Are you under medical care to reach a certain sodium target?
  • sirk3n
    sirk3n Posts: 22 Member
    Side note: Make sure the data base entries are correct.
    Some people just input the basics and don't put the entire label.
    Ex: I think I saw that you take Six Star Protein Powder. 2 scoops has 130 sodium (the one I looked at).
    * Are you under medical care to reach a certain sodium target?

Hi Janet, no im not under medical care. I checked my 6 star protein and it doesnt contain any sodium.

Thanks for your response by the way!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,076 Member
    The sodium number that MFP gives you is meant to be a maximum, not a minimum.

From the National Academies of Science, Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate:

"The AI for sodium is set for young adults at 1.5 g (65 mmol)/day (3.8 g of sodium chloride) to ensure that the overall diet provides an adequate intake of other important nutrients and to cover sodium sweat losses in unacclimatized individuals who are exposed to high temperatures or who become physically active as recommended in other dietary reference intakes (DRI) reports. This AI does not apply to individuals who lose large volumes of sodium in sweat, such as competitive athletes and workers exposed to extreme heat stress (e.g., foundry workers and fire fighters). The AI for sodium for older adults and the elderly is somewhat less, based on lower energy intakes, and is set at 1.3 g (55 mmol)/day for men and women 50 through 70 years of age, and at 1.2 g (50 mmol)/day for those 71 years of age and older."

FYI: AI = adequate intake, and 1.5 g is 1500 mg (milligrams are the default units on MFP--not sure if you can change that or not).
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Many doctors will tell older heart patients to keep sodium to less than 1,500 a day. In severe cases less than 700mg a day.
    Again, that number MFP gives you is not a target. It's a maximum. Be careful with your health.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    You can change your sodium goal even with the free version.

And in this case, sodium is maximum, not a minimum. I think you only need something like 500mg a day minimum, which pretty much anyone in the world gets pretty easily.