Padded shorts or gel seat cover (Spin)?

Options
Hey,

Pretty much as the title says. I've discovered a love for Spin and would like to carry on, but, man am I saddle sore. Would you choose a seat cover or padded shorts to combat the bruising?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    padded shorts for sure. Give it time and you'll get used to it. If you can bring your own saddle, even better... but IME that's usually more of a headache than it's worth.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I would give it 3-4 sessions. That soreness goes away and you might not need anything!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    In all the years taking or teaching spin, I have only known one person that did not get used to the plain bike seat. It kind of sucked for her, if she forgot her seat cover she didn't take the class. Your sitz bones will get used to it, honest.
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm probably only going to be able to make it once a week, as I do other exercise on other days, do you think I'll get used to it only doing it that often?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Posters above are right. Your sit bones acclimate after enough time in the saddle. I used to be dying after 15 minutes, now I can ride for hours.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Cycling shorts.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I agree . You should adjust somwhat. Make sure your are sitted correctly and the seat is at the proper height. Padded shorts arent a bad idea.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I would get shorts, not bibs just regular cycling shorts.

Or if you're not wanting to wear Lycra, Amazon sells Cycling Panties, which my wife likes to wear so she can wear loser fitting clothing.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would give it a few sessions first. I was fine after two.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Cycling shorts
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If you must... shorts... also.. strongly recommend cycling shoes with cleats... not sure if or what you think of those.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Neither are necessary. Once you go a few more times you won't have any soreness from the seat. If you want to invest in anything buy bike shoes and skip the padded shorts and gel seats.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Before you got all hog wild on shoes, make sure you know what you're getting into.There are several different styles of cleats. Talk to your Spin Class instructor and make sure you get the right style.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    padded shorts try REI and use them as well later when you also do some outside riding.. I see bikes in your future.
  • Kobz27
    Kobz27 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As a cyclist I can tell you the shorts have WAY more impact than the seat will. Spend some real money on a good pair of padded shorts. Ease into it, but do it consistently. Go 5 days Straight. Day 1 20 minutes, day 2 30 minutes, and continually go longer. Each day you will be slightly sore but it will subside after a few minutes once the blood gets flowing. After the 5 days you'll be good to be in the saddle for a while. You just have to make sure you commit to it. If you take a month off you'll have to ease back into it again.
  • julesloveland
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    I see bikes in your future.

LOL, indoor maybe...

• julesloveland
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going back tomorrow (if I can sit on the saddle), if by the end of next week I'm still as sore, I'll get some shorts.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    You should probable check your seat height and reach first and eliminate them as a source of discomfort. There's not much need for thick padded shorts unless you plan to ride more than 1.5-2 hours (assuming you are peddling constantly during the session). However, shorts are recommended to avoid chafing and saddle sores. Avoid gel anything.

Here are a number of misconceptions about the saddle. The first is calling or thinking of it as a seat. A seat is designed to bear your entire weight, while a saddle is something that carries you, but not all of your weight. Another misconception is that an uncomfortable saddle should be replaced with a soft one. However, soft saddles are not necessarily the best to cycle on. Soft saddles don’t provide much support for your body so you can quickly become tired and uncomfortable on longer rides (>30 minutes but YMMV). A further misconception is that a wide seat is more comfortable than a narrow one. Wider seats create more friction and chafing when you’re doing lots of pedaling. In general, the more you ride and pedal, the thinner and less obtrusive a saddle should be. If the saddle is a wide and well padded cruiser type, replace immediately.