Hip fat

Options
Hey guys! So I'm fairly small in terms of weight but I have a lot of hip fat which I'm assuming was because all my life my diet was mainly sugar/ as in the majority ( bad I know ) but now I'm wondering if I cut out sugar will the hip fat dissapear slowly? Or do I need to target it with exercise?

Replies

• gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    zayyy237 wrote: »
    Hey guys! So I'm fairly small in terms of weight but I have a lot of hip fat which I'm assuming was because all my life my diet was mainly sugar/ as in the majority ( bad I know ) but now I'm wondering if I cut out sugar will the hip fat dissapear slowly? Or do I need to target it with exercise?

If your diet is mainly sugar, you are probably eating WAAAY to many calories, which explains your hip fat. And a high sugar diet is really unhealthy.

What do you have for breakfast? Are you eating multiple donuts and/or giant pastries? Swap it out for two eggs if you like eggs. Right away you are 300 calories down.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's not the sugar, it is too many calories. You cannot spot reduce. Lift heavy and some cardio, you'll be golden
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Neither. Eat in a calorie deficit and you'll lose from everywhere. You can't spot reduce.

^I really wish this was untrue, but it's not sadly. No spot reducing. calorie deficit is the way to lose fat; from anywhere on the body.
  • zayyy237
    zayyy237 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! And no my calorie intake was 1300 more or less but 90 % of it was sugar!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! And no my calorie intake was 1300 more or less but 90 % of it was sugar!

sugar does not add fat, unless you are in a surplus, then any excess cals cause fat to be stored. As to where your fat is stored, that is genetics.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options

As other said, a calorie deficit will help you reduce body fat. Lifting weights will help maintain muscle during weight loss. If anything, concentrate on getting adequate protein (should be roughly .8g per lb of body weight in grams of protein). I somehow doubt you were eating over 300g of sugar, but that doesn't really matter.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

So if the 1,300 number is accurate, how can she have gained a lot of "hip fat?"
  • psuLemon
    Options

She wasn't eating 1300 the entire time. Even trained professional under reporting calories in. And based on genetic disposition, when she gained weight, the hips were the first place to go. Even if her diet was mainly fats and proteins, the exact same result would occur. Ask me how I know.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Genetics. In the OP she stated that "all her life" she has eaten mainly sugar. She obviously (well, I'm assuming) hasn't counted calories all her life and accumulated the fat before starting to count calories. The sugar didn't make her gain fat, the calorie surplus did.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The only thing worse than hip fat is a fat hipster.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    From everything I hear and read, it isn't sugar that is responsible, but being in a calorie surplus will add the weight. Meaning you can eat sugar all day, as long as it didn't go over your maintenance calories.

However, I have my own personal opinions regarding sugar, and want to limit it wherever possible. Weekends are difficult because of the habit I've formed (drink on fridays), which seem to have a domino/knock-on effect with me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Sugar does not create fat. If you are smaller but believe you have a lot of hip fat, then either how your hips look is genetic or your body perception is skewed.

You can't target fat loss, as spot reducing is a myth. But, exercise is always all-around good for health.

There is nothing wrong with sugar, but making it the majority of your diet is not nutritionally sound. Balance is important.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Well, if you gained actual weight then you were overall eating much more than 1300 calories. :)
    The only thing worse than hip fat is a fat hipster.

A jokester. :)
  • zayyy237
    Options
    It wasn't weight I was gaining if anything I've lost weight but I feel like the fat is all on my hips rather than anywhere else, I'm 5 ft 7 and 55 kg but I was a lot heavier when I was younger and I'm sure that's when I had excess calories but judging by responses I guess I just need to keep my calorie intake more or less consistent and make better food choices
    Once again thanks everyone :)
  • psuLemon
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It wasn't weight I was gaining if anything I've lost weight but I feel like the fat is all on my hips rather than anywhere else, I'm 5 ft 7 and 55 kg but I was a lot heavier when I was younger and I'm sure that's when I had excess calories but judging by responses I guess I just need to keep my calorie intake more or less consistent and make better food choices
    Once again thanks everyone :)

Since you are borderline underweight, its more likely genetics, body perception and maybe a body composition issue. So if anything, eat around maintenance, eat around 100-120g of protein and lift. That can help improve your body composition a little. Or the other option would be bulk to add muscle and cut to eliminate the fat you gain. Below is an example of what you can do by add muscle and improving your body composition.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • zayyy237
    Options
    This was really helpful thank you :)