1 or 2 lb goal--which is better

Options
I have tried both the 1 lb and 2 lb loss goal for each week. I was more successful with the 1 lb goal, but it feels so slow... So which do you choose and why?

Replies

• lucifa73
    lucifa73 Posts: 110
    Options
    I chose the 1lb goal - it does seem slow but it also means I am less restrictive on myself. Having to be super strict sets me up for failure because I end up resentng the things I can't do or have.

In my head 1lb is the minimum I want to lose and it felt great when I blew that out of the water this week :happy:
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I also chose the 1 pound goal. I know that over the broad scheme of my life, tortoise slow will be better than hare fast. I also agree that I like it because at least some of the time I will blow it out of the water as someone else said. Two pounds I might achieve some weeks, but others I won't and I refuse to set myself for disappointment anymore. Heck. Losing 1/2 pound is a victory!
  • MammaEllis
    MammaEllis Posts: 59
    Options
    If you are feeling too restricted with the 2 pound settings than Id stick with the 1 pound. Bottom line, it doesnt matter how long it takes to get it off, just get it off! ;o) And seriously, 1 pound a week rocks!

830631.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • fraochin
    fraochin Posts: 48
    Options
    I have just started so I am aiming for the 2lb goal for 5wks. I will then happily go onto the 1lb goal. I just feel the more I loose at the start, the more motivated to keep it up when the loss slows down a little!
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    I have my goal set at 2 lbs a week. Some weeks I only lose 1, some weeks I lose 3. It averages out. I think what is better depends on how overweight you are and what you can be more successful doing.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,999 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: the most important goal to have is to find a plan that you can live with one day at a time.......if I can stick to a plan I will be successful......if it is slow I will still be successful.....but if I can't stick to the plan, then it doesn't matter what it promises to accomplish
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 1 1/2 lbs. per week and have lost an average of 2 lbs. per week. I figure that way if I lose only a lb. one week and 2 the next, I am doing what I am supposed too. I don't feel cheated and sometimes feel as if I am eating WAY to much but the calorie counter says different and so does the scale.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've decided to stick with the 1lb goal - this gives me a calorie target that I'm comfortable with, and a bit of room to manoevre.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    It should be relative to how much fat you have to lose. An obese person is going to be able to tolerate a higher rate of weight loss per week than a smaller person carrying less fat. This is why the tried and true, general principle of 1% of total bodyweight per week is something I like.

It's important to keep in mind, though, that weight loss is not a linear phenomenon. The rate of loss target should be viewed as an average and not a rule.

It's also important to note that when you're relatively lean trying to get leaner... almost invariably true fat loss can be undetectable using the scale. For instance, water flux can be 3-5+ lbs and if you're only dealing with .5 - 1 lb of fat loss per week... well the scale isn't of much use.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    Mine in the middle at 1.5lb a week.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Wait, you tried each one for a week??? Your body takes at least a few weeks to adjust to any big changes you make to it... each one (1 lb and 2 lb) would be a big difference in calorie intake, so you should definitely try it for a couple weeks before deciding which is more effective. If you have a lot of weight to lose, 2 lbs can be great, but once you get closer to halfway or toward the end, I would say 1 lb or even less.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady is always healthier. If you take a while to lose it than one meal out wont hurt your weight loss, but I have found that if I lose 2 fast it comes back fast. I aim for 1 lb per week by reducing what I eat by 500 calories per day but I also exercise and burn about 400-600 calories so on a good week I can lose 2lbs. If you do that make sure you eat back your exercise calories though! When I was going for 2 lbs I didn't lose because I was not eating enough.
    Good luck!
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I went with 1.5lbs also to set myself up for success. I wanted to have the freedom to eat enough during the day without being too restrictive. I am averaging just over 1.5lb in the last 9 weeks. I am happy with that. I didnt gain the weight overnight. So losing it slow and steady should help increase my chances that I wont go back to my old ways and gain it all back.
  • alexwalper
    alexwalper Posts: 81
    Options
    Mine is set to 1.5 lbs. a week :). I had it at 2 lbs. for a month, but it was way too stressful of a change and I have been miserable! I would rather take it slower and not feel like I'm starving myself. I was beginning to despise the contents in my pantry when I didn't have enough calories left for them :)
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Don't try to lose too fast. Think about which goal gives you enough calories to make it through the day without feeling too restricted. I originally had mine set to 2 pounds a week and since I don't have much weight too lose, the calorie limit was just too restrictive and I wouldn't stick with it. I now have it at a little less than 1.5 pounds a week and I have enough calories where I can eat almost what I want as long as I exercise.
  • gagirlinnc
    gagirlinnc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No, I guess I worded that awkwardly. I tried the one pound for three weeks and the two pound for one week. I'm still adjusting to the reduced calories of the two pound goal.