Paleo and possibility of developing Pre-Diabetes

Options
I have been practicing lowering my carbs to 20 per meal but feeling so lazy and moody because of it, the sugar free coffee creamer is a treat and I'm not a big fan of sugar free jello yet.... I'm just starting out, really good with portion control but my husband and I always feel hungry. Any advice from what I've posted so far ? Husband has Pre-Diabetes, I'm a Vegetarian looking to modify our life with a more Paleo style that we can compromise on. Thank you for your assistance !!

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was veggie for 12 years and went paleo 8 years ago. I havent felt better, though i do struggle to eat meat as ive never been a big fan.

I gave up all artificial sweeteners as i do think they create side effects such as tiredness and increased appetite. I recently gave up stevia as it caused amenorrhea. ( when quest bars switched to stevia)

I stick to plain old white sugar, date or maple syrup or honey. I dont use sweeteners in my drinks though. I use unsweetened almond milk.in my assam tea- i prefer it.

I dont often bother with paleo baking.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    add nuts to your diet, eat more if you are hungry, vegetables (except corn) cheese is a great snack as well and low fat greek yoghurt. as for low sugar jello-why bother? Just skip it.

Eat berries for fruit they are low sugar
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Honest question. How would a vegan do paleo? A big part of paleo is meat.

I struggle with reaching 1000-1200 cals/day and i use fats and meat. I couldn't imagine not. I'm on the autoimmune paleo, so much more limited.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yeah, of *all* the restrictive "way of life" diets out there, veganism is probably the *least* paleo, because it would be nearly impossible "in the wild" for a hunter-gatherer to get necessary nutrients from a vegan diet.
    (Not a defender of the trendy 'paleo' diet either, given the enormous variety in actual pre-agriculture diets. Humans are opportunistic omnivores who thrive on vastly varied diets).
  • cycling_cyclops
    cycling_cyclops Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    *Salads are awesome! I suggest lots of leafy greens, some nuts, a low-carb dressing like ranch, hard-boiled eggs, etc. Your husband can add some grilled chicken to his portion of the salad. You could make a Cobb salad minus the meat (avocado is filling!)

*Broccoli and cauliflower are low-carb veggies.

*Artic Zero is a company that produces low-carb, low-calorie ice cream. My family loves the ice cream bars that are 7 carbs per serving. They're delicious.

Being a vegetarian and going low-carb may be difficult. But you can do it! I hope this helps!
  • cycling_cyclops
    cycling_cyclops Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also, omelettes are fabulous for a low-carb diet. You can add different types of cheese depending on your taste preferences. Also, your husband can add pepperoni bits. You can add a few onion bits for flavor. I eat an omelette nearly everyday for breakfast, and it's very satiating.