Tell me why? Only serious replies please.

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My works outs have been burning about 1000 calories at least 4 times a week.

Then I'd say your TDEE is a lot higher than 1800-1900 if your BMR is around 1400 and you're regularly burning 1000 a day in exercise alone.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    the most annoying part of this thread is the use of 'legitly' as a word!

^ this
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    3. A calorie is a calorie (in regards to energy not nutrition)

A calorie is not a calorie even when it comes to energy.

You eat 300 calories of vegetable or 300 calories of sugar (for example, pasta, or cereal, or bread)

300 calories of cereal get converted into sugar almost instantly. Your body can only use up so much of it, and the rest must be stored as fat. Burning fat is not as easy as burning energy that is glucose in your bloodstream. To start burning fat reserves you need at least 20 minutes of intense cardio (or a certain amount of deficit). It is not a simple process, and your body resists doing it if it does not have to.

Your vegetable calories will be released gradually, giving you more chance to use the energy as it becomes available. (Fruit has complex and simple carbs, so you get instant energy and gradual energy after).

It will also take longer to digest and leave your stomach, thus keeping it fuller longer and your blood sugar more stable.

When you get a massive spike in glucose, such as from processed carbs that our bodies have not adapted to evolutionary, many people's bodies release too much insulin to compensate, and subsequently their glucose levels drop even lower than before they ate. That causes a natural urge to eat more quick energy for that fix, and want for more carbs, and this can become a cycle.

Also, some of the fiber in fruits and veggies does not get digested. So you are actually getting less energy than the entire plant contains. Not the case with simple carbs.

So "calorie is a calorie" is not a correct statement for practical purposes.
    Hope this helps.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I switched to the TDEE methods several months ago. If you use the spreadsheet, you can track lean body mass. When you lose weight you will lose both lean body mass & fat mass no matter what. What you WANT to do is lose more Fat mass than LEAN mass. I can attest to the fact that the TDEE method works. I have lost some lean body mass, but much more fat mass. Your lean body mass is what drives your BMR, if you lose lean body mass (i.e. the muscle) then you BMR slows down. That is physiology NOT bro-science!!! Everyone's body works according to that physiologic rule! Lose muscle mass & your BMR will slow, no way around it. If you have been following all your measurements over the course of months/years, download the Excel spreadsheet from the "In place of a roadmap" thread & plug in your numbers going back in time; that way you can see the changes in your lean body mass, which have already occurred. I wouldn't endorse eating a net 1000 calories ever (I'm a physician), but if you're going to try, at least follow your numbers, so you can see your changes in lean body mass. If you start dropping precipitously, then "get out"! I don't think it will take long to see that 1000 calories isn't healthy!

Yes I have done the TDEE method and it does work. My trainer recommended a cut. I just thought if I ate more BMR but netted lower. I would still get my nutrients from food. My body could still use the calories I eat for brain fuction and etc then use fat for the burn but maybe I am missing something.
  • brosehemian
    brosehemian Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    To all the people who say that eating under 1200, whatever number of calories is dangerous... what makes 1200 calories the 'magic' number that works for all body types? Couldn't it be dangerous for a huge man to eat less than 1600 or whatever? I'm not disputing that you need to eat enough calories to sustain your body, but I'm so tired of seeing the "at least 1200 calories for everyone!" argument tossed around.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    3) I wouldn't do this for long. Putting aside all that starvation mode crap and all the other crap people believe, if you keep eating at a severe deficit, you're going to start losing a lot of muscle with that fat. And you're going to get really, really tired. You won't feel very good.

^^This. Especially as you get older, you don't want to be dropping muscle, you will need all the LBM that you can get as you get closer to menopause. I wish I had known that when I was younger.
  • joleenl
    Options
    My works outs have been burning about 1000 calories at least 4 times a week.

Then I'd say your TDEE is a lot higher than 1800-1900 if your BMR is around 1400 and you're regularly burning 1000 a day in exercise alone.

Yes I agree. I use a combination of MFP and TDEE. I just started this cut. The way I calculated my TDEE prior to the cut was as lightly active (desk job) and then eating back at least half of my exercise calories. I prefer to track my scheduled exercises.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yes I have done the TDEE method and it does work. My trainer recommended a cut. I just thought if I ate more BMR but netted lower. I would still get my nutrients from food. My body could still use the calories I eat for brain fuction and etc then use fat for the burn but maybe I am missing something.

can i ask what the mad rush is then? according to your ticker you dont have that much left to lose? so why not stick with TDEE -15/20%, and enjoy your food and your workouts?
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wait.

Your bf% is 40 and you are netting 1000 calories per day? If that is the case: crack on. I don't see an issue.

^ And this. You are netting 1000 but eating closer to 1800? And you are at a bf% of 40? I think you are safe. Reevaluate when you lose more pounds/BF. You will eventually need less of a deficit but for now I see no issue...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    To all the people who say that eating under 1200, whatever number of calories is dangerous... what makes 1200 calories the 'magic' number that works for all body types? Couldn't it be dangerous for a huge man to eat less than 1600 or whatever? I'm not disputing that you need to eat enough calories to sustain your body, but I'm so tired of seeing the "at least 1200 calories for everyone!" argument tossed around.

1200 is the general "no one should ever go below this" number because it's about right for a very small woman who is mostly sedentary. In other words, it's about the lowest anyone should ever be. Yes, 1200 is horribly inapprorpiate for a 300-lb guy.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

1200 is a standard set by medical and sports professionals as the minimum number of calories whereby you can get all of the required nutrition. I believe the minimum for a man is 1800.
  • joleenl
    Options
    Wait.

Your bf% is 40 and you are netting 1000 calories per day? If that is the case: crack on. I don't see an issue.

Yes my bf% is 40 and I am netting 1000 calories a day. Just started monday. This is a temporary cut phase to lower my % body fat.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I don't have scientific proof other than my own story. I was working out 12+ hours a week and an RD put me on 1200 calorie a day diet. Some days I would eat up to 1500 calories but almost always netted less than 1,000 calories a day. I don't have specific because at the time I didn't realize what I was doing was harming my body. In about 4 months I lost 50 pounds and tons of inches and felt great. And then the weight started to creep back up. I was exhausted all the time. I couldn't figure out that eating still at a caloric deficit I was actually gaining weight. I messed up my metabolism so bad from undereating that it pretty much slowed to almost a stop. I went to several doctors, no one could help me. They all assumed I was eating more than I thought I was. I knew I wasn't but I was the fat girl going to the doctor complaining I couldn't lose weight.

6 years later - still heavy. Gained back all I lost and can't figure out why I can't get rid of it. In the last year I've realized what I did to my metabolism and am trying to correct it. So if you don't want to be in the same situation as me, I would suggest eating more. You want to fuel your body and keep your metabolism burning at a high level.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Why even chance it? According to your ticker, you only have 18 lbs to go. If you want to maintain that weight loss for the long haul, why take the risk? Do you have a deadline for losing weight? While the verdict may still be out whether netting so low is bad (and I don't think it is short-term, like a week or two), there is absolutely no risk losing more slowly and having a smaller deficit.

Now, I get it if you have 100 lbs to lose, or even 50. But 18?
  • joleenl
    Options
    I am actually serious people. I like food too. I eat more then 1000 calories everyday. I NET LESS then 1000. I aint doing it for life. I am doing it as temporary cut. Like cycling between cuts and bulks.

It is my understanding (but not from experience) that people who are properly cutting and bulking have specific macros for both (not just eating less food sometimes and more other times) and bulking is eating at or over your TDEE. Is that what you are doing?

If you eat less than your BMR your body will not have the energy to run everything it needs to run and will eventually have to slow down or shut off areas it can't maintain do to lack of fuel. I have read that for obese people it's OK to drop below BMR sometimes, though.

Do research on BMR and what your body requires for the bare minimum functions and what happens when you don't give it proper fuel. Do research on when and why your body uses fat for fuel vs muscle mass for fuel. I always highly suggest doing your own research.

Will do. I just thought the MFP community might be able to share some links!
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Wait.

Yes my bf% is 40 and I am netting 1000 calories a day. Just started monday. This is a temporary cut phase to lower my % body fat.

IF it is temporary, then you should be OK. I wouldn't suggest it long term - or more than 2-3 weeks.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    wow, you guys are really being tough on her for asking a question. I haven't seen a response from her yet that indicates she isn't open to an honest discussion. I think a lot of you are making some unfair assumptions about the OP.

OP - I pretty much agree with your 4 bullets from your first post with a little qualification. There really isn't anything magical about 1200 calories. If I eat 1100 calories am I going to die?! For me personally, 1200 would be very unhealthy. The only thing about 1200 calories that has some thread of validity is from a nutritional standpoint, it gives you enough calories that you can get a decent nutritional value from the diet. Technically, you can go below 1200 calories TEMPORARILY as long as you are really paying attention to nutritional needs. If you stick with it for a week or more, your body will adapt and the weight loss will start to slow (not stop).

I think what it really boils down to is "CAN you" vs "SHOULD you". Low calorie, temporary diets are meant for people that might have 5 lbs to lose before a competition or event. Your bodybuilder trainer would be a perfect candidate to cut those last few pounds a couple of weeks before a competition. You, on the other hand, are 40% BF. You have a lot of weight to lose. A low calorie, temporary diet isn't really intended for your demographic. You would be much better served by a steady, controlled weight loss that is sustainable over time and changes your habits.

Can you do it - yes, just be careful. Should you do it - probably not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Can you get .82 grams of protein per Lb of body mass, 0.35 - 0.4 grams of dietary fat, and all of your vitamins and minerals through your food eating less than 1200 calories? Please....go shovel your **** elsewhere.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    300 calories of cereal get converted into sugar almost instantly. Your body can only use up so much of it, and the rest must be stored as fat. Burning fat is not as easy as burning energy that is glucose in your bloodstream. To start burning fat reserves you need at least 20 minutes of intense cardio (or a certain amount of deficit). It is not a simple process, and your body resists doing it if it does not have to.

Your vegetable calories will be released gradually, giving you more chance to use the energy as it becomes available.

So if I eat 300 calories of sugar a day and nothing else, I will get fat?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Wait.

Then you should be fine.

I don't consider your approach to actually be that aggressive in the context of your stats.