Tightening the Mommy Tummy!

Please forgive since this is a common topic, but what kind of improvement can I reasonably expect in my waist measurement once I've gotten to goal weight? I've had a few kids and, though I weigh less now than before I had them, my muscles are loose so it's 3 inches bigger. I just started an overall lifting program that includes core work. Is it possible to tighten by an inch in a few months? I had my last baby six months ago. Any tips?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    If you pull in your belly, and look down, that's the most that core exercises will do.. nothing more. Exercises don't target the fat there or loose skin. :+1:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Do you actually have diastasis recti (an actual separation of the abs common after pregnancy) or just a weak core?

webmd.com/baby/guide/abdominal-separation-diastasis-recti

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Six kids has left me with a belly that needs work. I have had multiple surgeries and have an inverted T. However, I'm still strengthening what I have. Here's a quick 10 minute video I do daily.. It's a killer... then next day. But I've seen some fantastic results. https://youtube.com/watch?v=r_J8btnIEKQ
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I had 2 baby boys both over 9 pounds. My waist really didn't go back down until at least a year after I had both of them.
  • 92019start
    92019start Posts: 80 Member
    Thanks for the replies! I'm very grateful for the body God gave me, but I want to increase my fitness both for myself and to set a good example for my children. When I flex or pull my abs in, I can get to the pre-baby state. It's just when I relax that it gently slopes out. Thankfully I don't have loose skin, extra fat or diastasis. So, if I build my core, will it eventually stay in that more flexed state? (Hope this makes sense)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    4 bio kids, biggest one 10lb and the others not far behind that. I don't do a lot of direct ab work, mostly pay attention to posture all day. Think about it when you are walking, sitting, standing. get in the habit of holding your middle, not super flexed but gently pulled in and held to support your back.

It does take time. I was never a small-waisted person, more straight up and down, and do have some widening and slackening (is that a word?) but I am comfortable in a bikini now.

Doesn't everyone's belly fall out bigger when they relax it? That seems normal to me. Why wouldn't it?
  • 92019start
    92019start Posts: 80 Member
    edited June 2016
    robininfl wrote: »
    4 bio kids, biggest one 10lb and the others not far behind that. I don't do a lot of direct ab work, mostly pay attention to posture all day. Think about it when you are walking, sitting, standing. get in the habit of holding your middle, not super flexed but gently pulled in and held to support your back.

It does take time. I was never a small-waisted person, more straight up and down, and do have some widening and slackening (is that a word?) but I am comfortable in a bikini now.

Doesn't everyone's belly fall out bigger when they relax it? That seems normal to me. Why wouldn't it?

Yes, you're right. I think of my babies' bellies how they change when they get older though. When they're toddlers they aren't fat, but their belly kind of sticks out. And eventually they develop core strength and they have flat abs.

I will do as you recommend and work on sitting and standing straight. I catch myself curving forward a lot because somehow that's an easier position to do a lot of the childrearing--from breast feeding to holding a kid on your hip. But you're right, maybe if I'm constantly trying to engage my core doing day-to-day activities, in a year it will be tight. I just forget how it's supposed to be, you know? In addition to gym work, of course.

I have four kids, btw.
  • Emijanine
    Emijanine Posts: 158 Member
    If you have diastesis recti, which I have, you need to get the MuTu system. Regular core work will not fix it and can make it worse, sadly! I'm ordering mine this week. I have strong abs but still a separation under my belly button. I want my six pack, darn it! Lol! Four of my friends have done MuTu and have had great success with it fixing the separation.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    My son was over 10 lbs. I saw the biggest improvement in waist circumference from doing pelvic floor and transverse ab exercises. Sit-ups and crunches did nothing for me and I hated them. But working the inner core really made a difference.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Mom of four here, it takes time to get get rid of "baby belly". I do heavy lifting 3-4 days most weeks (not this one, hyperextended knee), yoga and barre classes 2-3 times per week.
    I also try to do 10 sun salutations daily for a stretch and to work my core. It takes about 90 seconds and I do one everytime I take a potty break at least. It's a good reminder about posture too.
    Good.luck!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    YOGA...YOGA...YOGA 3 KIDS ,1 C-SECTION, 1 HYSTERECTOMY AND FINALLY HAVE A TONED TUMMY!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Ten months postpartum. Had five cm diastis Recti. I found Leslie sansone YouTube helped me a lot
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    If you are already lifting then in a few months you'll see positive reductions in your waist line and all other measurements :smile: