It's too hot to walk!

Options
vangoghdelaney
vangoghdelaney Posts: 13 Member
edited June 2016 in Motivation and Support
Okay, so I live in Arizona and it is HOT! I thought me saying that it's way too hot to walk was an excuse, but I walked down the street and almost died!! It's 120 degrees (yes, you read that right) and walking was my main source of exercise! My gym costs too much and I can't get there every week, so what should I do for exercise that I can do either in the shade or inside my home? Any ideas? I've been doing extremely well with clean eating and have been losing a lot of weight only doing that, but I feel I need to work out at least three times a week!

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Using the mall is a really good idea. I am also in AZ and I took my walk last night at ~8 PM. It was "only" about 104 degrees F. I carried a bunch of water and walked through every lawn sprinkler I saw. It was still awful :p

I also just work out at home - I have Zumba games for the Xbox, yoga vids from Amazon Prime, an aerobics step that I can just use while watching TV, etc. I've never used them, but there are a ton of workouts available on YouTube. I hear Fitness Blender recommended a lot here on MFP.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Are people really lacking basic problem solving and reading comprehension skills these days?

Here's a hint. It's not always 120 out all day and night is it? Are there places you can walk where it's not hot?

To the other poster, she said 3 times a week not 3 times a day.
  • vangoghdelaney
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Unfortunately I live in a town with about 7,000 people and no mall or anywhere that's really big. My friend is gonna bring over her Zumba for me to use Friday. I do have Amazon Prime though, I didn't know that they had exercise videos.
    Oh, and I totally meant three times a week.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    happygalah wrote: »
    Are people really lacking basic problem solving and reading comprehension skills these days?

Here's a hint. It's not always 120 out all day and night is it? Are there places you can walk where it's not hot?

I don't think it was too much to ask for some ideas........bouncing around ideas is helpful to more users than just the original poster.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Thanks for the implication that I can't read; but notice she edited her post...
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I'm in Texas and it is very hot here. I've been waiting until around 8 to walk (but it is still often in the high 90's). I don't really think not going because of the heat is "just and excuse". It can be dangerous. I've known a few people who have suffered from heat stroke and it really is serious. I think going to a mall is a good idea if there is one near you. We don't have a mall where I live, but I have considered walking at my church. They have a large family center where I could go. I haven't yet because I walk at a park and I really enjoy it, plus I take my dogs and I don't think I could take them to the church. I may have to check out the videos. I've never don't a walking video, but I do yoga videos 3 times a week. I really enjoy it. And @auddii is correct. You don't have to work out to lose weight.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

You obviously have not been to Arizona during a heat wave. The standard joke is that "it's a dry heat", and it does not take much exertion to get dangerously dehydrated and overheated in the kind of heat wave they are having right now. At night, it is not getting much below 100. My niece is praying for the monsoons to start as soon as possible, and she has a horse to care for as well.

To the OP, try to see if you can find some BodyVive videos. That is a total body workout. I take it in a group class, but I'm sure that you can do it at home.
  • vangoghdelaney
    Options

That was unbelievably rude. It's even 100 degrees at night, like another poster said. Maybe work on being a little more patient/nice.
  • vangoghdelaney
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I know how you feel. I'm in Texas and it is very hot here. I've been waiting until around 8 to walk (but it is still often in the high 90's). I don't really think not going because of the heat is "just and excuse". It can be dangerous. I've known a few people who have suffered from heat stroke and it really is serious. I think going to a mall is a good idea if there is one near you. We don't have a mall where I live, but I have considered walking at my church. They have a large family center where I could go. I haven't yet because I walk at a park and I really enjoy it, plus I take my dogs and I don't think I could take them to the church. I may have to check out the videos. I've never don't a walking video, but I do yoga videos 3 times a week. I really enjoy it. And @auddii is correct. You don't have to work out to lose weight.

I have been losing weight without exercise, but I do this for my anxiety and depression, so I think exercise is good just for your mental heath! Yeah, no mall here or any kind of exercise thing except the gym and a public swimming pool. I might try some videos! I used to do hip hop workouts on YouTube.
  • TeaBea
    Options

That was unbelievably rude. It's even 100 degrees at night, like another poster said. Maybe work on being a little more patient/nice.

I agree. Even if it was cool at night, who says that everyone lives in a neighborhood where they feel comfortable walking after dark.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    If no mall, how about a Wal-Mart, Dollar General, grocery store? I've been in a lot of small towns and these are staples.

Good luck.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Does the gym you mentioned have a daily drop-in rate? The Rec center where I work out is only $1 if you just want to use the walking track or $4 for access to everything. Might be an option for days that are really bad.

Otherwise, have you tried early morning? I LOVE starting my day with a workout. I'll be the first to admit that getting up at 4:30 am is not easy, but once it became a habit I fell in love with how it made me feel for the rest of the day.
  • kgirlhart
    Options

That is rude. I live in Texas. It is even hotter in Arizona than it is here. Last night I went walking at 8:00. It was 97 degrees. Luckily for me the park I walk at is well lit and shady, but it was still hot.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Swimming or walking in a pool?
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I don't have answers, just wanted to say that I am in the UK and am finding it too hot to get on my treadmill (nowhere near as hot as over there), lol :/

Summer has posed more of a problem for my exercise than the winter did, but if I cannot bring myself to exercise during the summer, I just have to eat less. This is the choice I'm presented with, a choice made easier with a food scale and a food diary.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    If no mall, how about a Wal-Mart, Dollar General, grocery store? I've been in a lot of small towns and these are staples.

Good luck.

Home Depot or Lowe's sort of thing......those are some big stores
  • kgirlhart
    Options

I have been losing weight without exercise, but I do this for my anxiety and depression, so I think exercise is good just for your mental heath! Yeah, no mall here or any kind of exercise thing except the gym and a public swimming pool. I might try some videos! I used to do hip hop workouts on YouTube.

It is hard for me when I miss my walks. I do it as much for the stress release as anything. It has been harder since it is warming up because I used to go in the afternoon and now it is just too hot. Not just for me, but for my dogs. I guess we are in similar situations. My town has about 5000 people so no mall. I think people who don't live where it gets really hot don't understand that it can be dangerous to exercise outside when it is that hot and not everyone lives where they have access to malls and 24 hour gyms.
  • vangoghdelaney
    Options

It is hard for me when I miss my walks. I do it as much for the stress release as anything. It has been harder since it is warming up because I used to go in the afternoon and now it is just too hot. Not just for me, but for my dogs. I guess we are in similar situations. My town has about 5000 people so no mall. I think people who don't live where it gets really hot don't understand that it can be dangerous to exercise outside when it is that hot and not everyone lives where they have access to malls and 24 hour gyms.

Exactly! And not everyone can afford the gym AND to eat clean.