Dietary Fat vs Body Fat

Options
I always thought that while in a fat burning caloric deficit you kept dietary fat low mainly because it's the least useful of the macros. I was in GNC (I know) the other day, though, and the woman there told me that if I don't eat dietary fat then my body will crave fat and eat my body fat.
Is there any legitimacy to this?
What is the real reason for keeping fat levels low?

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I always thought that while in a fat burning caloric deficit you kept dietary fat low mainly because it's the least useful of the macros. I was in GNC (I know) the other day, though, and the woman there told me that if I don't eat dietary fat then my body will crave fat and eat my body fat.

Low fat diets are a fad that is thankfully going away. Interestingly, high fat diets are getting more and more popular now.
    There are still some people with the mistaken idea that "fat makes you fat."

The GNC lady is clueless. Don't listen to her.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I know that dietary fat does not equal body fat, but lower fat levels were recommended to me by several people.
    Is there any real reason to keep fat down?
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Low fat diets are a fad that is thankfully going away. Interestingly, high fat diets are getting more and more popular now.
    There are still some people with the mistaken idea that "fat makes you fat."

The GNC lady is clueless. Don't listen to her.

^^This
    Also, read this, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1039920-saturated-fats-discussion
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, GNC employees aren't that knowledgeable about nutrition.

Fat helps keep you full, feeling satisfied. This means you're less likely to be hungry again so quickly. Fat is also vital to your brain and other organs. It helps them function properly. So, dietary fat is a good things - you still need to count your fat calories of course, and measure everything.

Dietary fat and body fat are two totally separate things. Eating at a calorie deficit will help your body burn body fat. It has nothing to do with the level of dietary fat you consume.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If that were true, then the introduction of all of the low-fat and non-fat processed food options over the past decade would not have coincided with the growth of obesity rates.

Fat is an efficient storage of energy--9 kcal per gram, while carbs and protein are 4. The body needs dietary fat to access fat-soluble vitamins like A, D, E and K.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I personally pack my diet with protein, filling! :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

First of all I think the term "low" needs some quantification in order for a meaningful discussion to take place.

Generalizing heavily: One potential reason to keep fats "low" would be to allow you to keep carbohydrate high. For some people this allows greater gym performance. If someone is on a rather low calorie intake you can be in a position where something has to be on the low end. In some circumstances it may be advantageous for that to be dietary fat.

But keep in mind, dietary fat is essential. Carbohydrate is not. So in terms of "low" these discussions can get a bit out of hand due to terminology/ambiguity/etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Lol, one's body "eats" body fat if in calorie deficit. She's thinks she got it because fat yields the highest calories per gram compared to protein and carbs. So less fat intake means less calories in.
    But dietary fat is ESSENTIAL. That means our bodies don't store it. So make sure you get it in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jmchao
    Jmchao Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know that dietary fat does not equal body fat, but lower fat levels were recommended to me by several people.
    Is there any real reason to keep fat down?

You may want to keep an eye on the types of fat you consume. By this, I mean monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, saturated, etc.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There are essential macronutrients your body needs to maintain itself.

Some of these are amino acids (from protein). Some of these are fatty acids.

None of them are carbs.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Sadly, that lady was givng you some pretty ****ty advice and should NOT be working at GNC... yikes. (I also am curious as to what her physique looked like, as I've seen some pretty poor examples from GNC staff. Not to say that your body is directly proportional to your knowledge, but in some cases it can be a good indicator.)

It sounds like she was trying to tell you to eat fats, but your post was a bit confusing so I'm not sure if she was saying that, or to eat fewer fats so that your body would somehow tap into your adipose tissue for fuel. Either way, her logic was wrong, and you SHOULD be eating more fat unles you have a medical issue (such as a gallbladder removal) which prevents you from doing so safely.

As for your question, the idea behind keeping fats low stems from the old belief that somehow dietary fat and body fat are one in the same, or that body fat comes from an excess of dietary fats. It doesn't work that way. An excess of calories from ANY source causes fat storgage, not from dietary fat alone. Really the only thing that the two have in common is the name "fat", which is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion. (Same with dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol, but that's another topic).

You need fats in your diet. Dietary fat aids in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, including vitamins A, D, K and E. If you don't consume enough fat, the intestines cannot efficiently extract these vitamins from the foods you eat. Many fat soluble vitamins also occur primarily in foods that contain high levels of fat, such as vitamin E, which is mainly found in vegetable oils, nuts and seeds. Deficiencies in these vitamins can lead to eye problems, nerve damage, lowered immune system function and a loss of bone density. You can also develop deficiencies of certain types of fats, such as the omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. When levels of these fats drop, the risk of heart disease rises.

Not only that, but as others have mentioned fats promote saiety, and can actually help you to adhere to your overall caloric goals. Many people can attest to going on a low-fat diet and always feeling hungry whereas those on a higher fat diet (Adkins, Paleo) often report feeling more satisfied on the same number of calories.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Sadly, that lady was givng you some pretty ****ty advice and should NOT be working at GNC... yikes. (I also am curious as to what her physique looked like, as I've seen some pretty poor examples from GNC staff. Not to say that your body is directly proportional to your knowledge, but in some cases it can be a good indicator.)

It sounds like she was trying to tell you to eat fats, but your post was a bit confusing so I'm not sure if she was saying that, or to eat fewer fats so that your body would somehow tap into your adipose tissue for fuel. Either way, her logic was wrong, and you SHOULD be eating more fat unles you have a medical issue (such as a gallbladder removal) which prevents you from doing so safely.

As for your question, the idea behind keeping fats low stems from the old belief that somehow dietary fat and body fat are one in the same, or that body fat comes from an excess of dietary fats. It doesn't work that way. An excess of calories from ANY source causes fat storgage, not from dietary fat alone. Really the only thing that the two have in common is the name "fat", which is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion. (Same with dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol, but that's another topic).

You need fats in your diet. Dietary fat aids in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, including vitamins A, D, K and E. If you don't consume enough fat, the intestines cannot efficiently extract these vitamins from the foods you eat. Many fat soluble vitamins also occur primarily in foods that contain high levels of fat, such as vitamin E, which is mainly found in vegetable oils, nuts and seeds. Deficiencies in these vitamins can lead to eye problems, nerve damage, lowered immune system function and a loss of bone density. You can also develop deficiencies of certain types of fats, such as the omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. When levels of these fats drop, the risk of heart disease rises.

Not only that, but as others have mentioned fats promote saiety, and can actually help you to adhere to your overall caloric goals. Many people can attest to going on a low-fat diet and always feeling hungry whereas those on a higher fat diet (Adkins, Paleo) often report feeling more satisfied on the same number of calories.

^This. Also, the hormonal risks of diets that are fat deficient while in an extended caloric deficit far outweigh any weight loss that might take place. Lifetime hormone replacement therapy and testosterone replacement therapy (HRT, TRT) aren't things to take lightly.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    I try to take in about 10% of my calories from fat on a 1330 calorie diet (before exercise). I work out 1-2 hours per day so I feel like I need the carbs and protein. Is this number too low? If so, should I cut on protein (50%) or carbs?
    It should be noted that I am planning on changing my macros within the next couple weeks because I realize that my diet isn't really sustainable long term.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I try to take in about 10% of my calories from fat on a 1330 calorie diet (before exercise). I work out 1-2 hours per day so I feel like I need the carbs and protein. Is this number too low? If so, should I cut on protein (50%) or carbs?
    It should be noted that I am planning on changing my macros within the next couple weeks because I realize that my diet isn't really sustainable long term.

Yes, that's likely going to cause you problems if you continue.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Why so low on the calories?
  • scottaworley
    Options

Why so low on the calories?

Goal is 2 lbs per week. I eat back all of my exercise calories.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options

People really do not need as many carbs as they think for their activity level. I would keep fat about even with protein percentage wise. Carbs are for quick immediate energy but if you load yourself up on carbs then go work out you're mainly just burning the sugar from the carbs and not burning your own body fat.

IMHO you want protein and fat for your main long lasting fuel and carbs as a booster.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Carbs are for quick immediate energy but if you load yourself up on carbs then go work out you're mainly just burning the sugar from the carbs and not burning your own body fat.

Substrate utilization during the actual training bout isn't all that important as far as losing fat goes, IMO. If you're in an energy deficit overall, you're going to oxidize more fat than you store regardless of which substrates are being burned during the training bout.

I'd argue that it's much more important to focus on whatever nutrient timing method gives you the greatest training performance.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a very low fat diet until my hair started falling out and my skin tanked. Now I don't pay as much attention to how much fat I eat and just try to make them healthy fats ie: nuts, avocados, some real butter here and there. I feel so much better and am a lot happier!! Also helps keep me feeling fuller a little longer.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Your body's energy is stored in the fat cells of your body. When you eat fewer calories than you ingest, your body pulls the calories (the energy) from your stores of fat. Having said that, you still need to ingest a certain amount of fat (as well as protein and carbs) every day to keep your body (and brain) working well. I keep my fat intake to 25% of my calories (about 27 grams) and am careful with carbs.