Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I can't imagine where you can find time for exercise in your loaded schedule, but I'll pass on tips I give to busy single parents. There's lunch hour. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, either at home or at work. Get off the bus a few blocks earlier from home and walk the rest of the way. Those are the ideas I have. Personally, I'd use any spare moments to catch a nap.

My schedule is loaded because i work 2 jobs, 1 as a learning support assistant in primary schools and 2 a health attendant in hospital (those two jobs r completly diff for the fact that at school i only move to the playground in breaktime and at hospital i walk a lot because i run in wards to take test for the all new admition patienties which quiet a lot) but rest im a house wife and my husband never help out so i have to do all errands and shopping and cleaning and cooking by myself. Im a hyper active person moving all the time in fact im nicknamed as roadrunner in the hospital because i do walk super fast. But as time dedicated to full training or a long walk i have no.time at hand. The heart needs to raise in heartbeat for the exersice to really work rest of moverment are all strains

I understand. That's why frankly I don't see where you can get the time in your current schedule. Something has to give.

All your activity is keeping you strong and flexible, even if you aren't getting your heart rate up. And it's all burning calories.

It can't be good for your unsupportive partner (or for you) to be taking advantage of your natural energy level, leaving you with all household chores and errands. If you do decide to go for surgery, you are going to need extra help in the first few weeks. Who will do that for you?

Guess no one :/ my mother is dead and i live far away frm my family so i got no help at all

Then I'd put off surgery. I've been hinting around that your unsupportive partner has got to give a little. Relationships can change. The dynamics can change. If he refuses to change, you can find new ways to put your foot down.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It wasnt totally my choice and its due to the condition i ended suffering from due to weight. I tried several diets and still im stuck with the same weight no matter the effort. Im not a person who eats a lot but its super hard for me to loose weight due to my pcos and hormone levels. I end up starving to see results and i learnt my mind accept my stomach grumbling in a positive way by saying to my self repetitivly "yes, its grumbling so the scale is going down." So i wont turn to food and suffocate myself with water. Because of the operation atm i am attending therapy and the surgeon sent me to a nutritionist to set up a diet. When i told the nutritionist what i eat the one thing he told me was you do not need me or my planning u are fully aware of what to eat and portions. The one thing he recommanded was exercise but as i said i m left with no time on my hand due to a tight schedule.

I've been diagnosed with PCOS for a few years now. PCOS is not the reason you are obese. Yes, many PCOS sufferers are overweight, but PCOS does not cause obesity. Everyone can lose weight by just eating less. If you can't manage to eat less now, what do you think will happen after gastric bypass?

It won't make you any less hungry. Most people who are overweight don't feel a sense of hunger because their body needs to eat. They feel hungry out of habit. All gastric bypass does it make your stomach too small to handle large volumes of food at one time. If you eat too much, you will stretch your stomach and waste the surgery. If you have the discipline to eat less after gastric bypass, why not just eat less now?

All my opinion, though. I've lost over 50 lbs by just eating less calories. And then I gained it back. Not because I have PCOS, but because I ate too many calories.

^^^^^^^^^^^

• Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Just be careful with the gastric bypass. Only 5% of everyone who gets the operation actually manages to keep off any weight they lose.

Also, something else to think about. My sister got a gastric bypass one week before I started my calorie in and calorie out eating. She's lost 68 pounds since February 16, 2016 and I've lost 64 pounds since February 22, 2016. She had surgery and doing every thing right. I didn't have surgery and doing everything right. I mean ...it's the exact same weightloss (she was 45 pounds heavier than me when we started)...I started out at 136 kg)

My mom is also a doctor ....the stories she has told me of folks who had lapbands slip up their stomachs, gastric bypass patients having lifetime issues. I mean, the stories are endless. Personally, I wouldn't go through that with a 5% long term success rate. Also, of all the folks I knew who had the surgery I have never met someone who kept it off...so I'm worried about my sister and I hope me losing the weight normally will show her she can maintain her weightloss
  • melanierozon345
    melanierozon345 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My best friend is getting gastric bypass, i wish she would try other things before.
    Life gets busy but remember weight loss is 85% nutrition. I'm injured this week, not sure when I'll be able able to workout again so putting that to the test. If you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The success of Bariatric surgery, especially the RNY is quite high. It's much higher than 5%.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2729256/
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I didn't have the gastric bypass, but I did have a vertical sleeve gastrectomy in 2012. I am glad I did it & would do it again. I was at my doctor's office this week & my total loss in her chart is 130 lbs. I don't know my actual starting weight but it was nearer to 300 lbs than 250 lbs. I'm where I want to be & where my doctor wants me to be weight wise. I'm still about 5 lbs overweight, but that is my choice, not a failing of the surgery.

You can eat your way around the surgery & mental hunger, habit eating, & emotional eating are things that absolutely must be dealt with because they can derail you. It is not true that the surgery does not help with actual physical hunger though. A VSG removes the portion of the stomach that produces ghrelin. For some people it eliminates hunger. That did not happen with me, but my physical hunger is greatly reduced & I am satisfied eating the smaller amounts that fit within my calorie allowance & in my smaller stomach.

Another advantage is that you don't lose a smaller stomach. If you regain, you can always use the tool to re-lose. I went through a year-long emotional binge eating episode & regained some weight (not anywhere near all the weight). Because my stomach was smaller, I wasn't able to do as much damage as I would have before the surgery. I just couldn't fit in an entire package of cookies or tub of ice cream like I could before.

How set is your doctor on the bypass? With the VSG, I had a couple days in the hospital, but after that I was mobile. They have you up & walking in the hospital even. I didn't do any heavy housework, but I was up for laundry & dishes & warming up my own broth. If you husband is really not going to be any help, maybe ask about the sleeve instead. Let the house go to hades & take care of yourself.

I don't know where that 5% number came from with keeping the weight off. That is opposite what I've read in regards to WLS. I don't have the studies I've read on hand & don't feel like looking them up :) , but really from what I remember, no matter what method you use to lose weight, there's a really high chance that you're going to regain some in the end. I'm pretty sure I've read that WLS offers the best chance for the morbidly obese to lose the weight & keep it off.

• treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Wow great loss amyl! !
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think that you'll find that these message boards are somewhat biased against people who have had weight loss surgery of any kind. In fact, I used the ((anecdotal)) information from these message boards to come up with several excuses as to why I shouldn't have any type of surgery. I lost 70lbs and was still obese. I went to a therapist, was still obese-- I run half marathons, do mtb races, triathlons, and am VERY active-- despite all of this-- STILL obese. (I also have PCOS, mind you)

I decided to do more research-- I went to a bariatric program, spoke with the doctors, spoke with *other patients* who have had the surgery, and didn't rely on folks who said "my friend's, sister's so-and-so had the surgery and they didn't fare so well" or "I know people who gained it all back".

9 times out of 10, you will NEVER know who has had surgery if they are successful because people don't go around advertising it.

I put off having the surgery for TWO years because "CICO" was what I kept saying "CICO-- I should be able to do this" "Something must be wrong with me-- CICO" "Eat less, move more" Well, I was working out 10+ hours per week, working with nutritionists who specialize in sports/endurance nutrition and I still struggled.

At the end of the day, do what's best for YOU and don't let anyone here steer you off of a path that you choose. Now, with that being said, if you did choose to have the surgery, it is NOT an EASY FIX, AT ALL. Everyone seems to think that it is, but I can assure you-- you will still need to be conscientious of your calorie intake, your activity level, and the quality of those calories. Surgery is just a tool-- not the quick fix that everyone seems to think that it is.
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have a cousin that did it. It worked great for a while . She lost a lot of weight..but it didn't change her eating habits. She ended up stretching things out and is back to her original pre- operation size.

I factored that in when I came here a few years ago. I thought to myself, the surgery is mechanically making you unable to eat a lot. So, what if I just tried to not eat a lot on my own? Once I saw what the reality of what my intake was every day and saw what it should be, I realized I do not instinctively know how to eat. I still don't. I will likely be counting calories to maintain for the rest of my life..and that is okay.

My point here is the method you implement only takes you so far. The key thing there has to be changes in how a person eats. No diets or surgery will do that for you. They all will fail if the lifestyle isn't changed.
  • Hunter_Killer
    Hunter_Killer Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be funny but why not just eat less? The band makes your stomach smaller therefore making you have to stop eating when you are full. Is it really worth surgery to have that done when you should try and be strong by yourself. I have seen people have these bands, lose weight then eat themselves back to where they were before. If you really want to lose the weight control your diet.