Cooking separate meals...

Options
2»

Replies

• ManateToMermaid
    ManateToMermaid Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    I tend to do the same protein for both of us and then the veg can be quite different for example if I do pork chops I'll do roasted butternut squash or salad and a jacked potato for me, mashed potatoes and beans for him. Pasta is usually the same but a much larger portion for him with cheese (none for me but I'm one of those weird people that isn't too keen on cheese). I don't mind cooking/preparing a few different things but two completely different meals goes a little too far.

He needs about twice the amount of calories than me as he has a very active job and he isnt trying to lose weight so the reality is there is always some sort snack food in the house but we have his and hers snacks so to speak. What I buy specifically for him I see as not for me and I find it quite easy not to eat those snacks. If he wants what I have bought with me in mind, that is fine too, if it's gone it's gone.

As for bites when cooking it's sort of unavoidable really, how else are you going to know if things are seasoned properly? Just add a few extra bites(grams) to the diary to account for it if you want, but if you are losing with not logging them then what is the problem?
    Good ideas, I figured a few bites here and there aren't hurting but in the long run I didn't know how much it would affect things but I'm huge on going by taste for seasoning when cooking like you said, maybe I'm being a little too over careful
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    So my partner is an MMA fighter and needs certain things in his diet and most nights requires me cooking something different... When I cook I almost find myself sticking a spoon in my mouth or spare scraps of food, what's even worse is that he likes candy and chocolate and keeps it in the house. I NEED HELP!!!

Any tips for not dipping into my cooking and his candy stash?

Tasting is an integral part of cooking for me. I just add a little bit to my serving size to accommodate for that.

Is your partner's candy stash out of site? Mine doesn't live with me yet, and keeps his Fritos out of site and out of reach above the cabinet. There's also a chocolate stash, which is out of site and inconvenient to get to.

I don't keep foods that call to me in the house. Took some practice to learn what they are. For example, whole bars of chocolate are a problem for me, but chocolate chips and Ghirardelli squares are not.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    How different? I cook the main dish the same for me and my kids, but I add or subtract things depending on my needs or their wants.

Ya, I have proportionally more protein and veggies to carbs than he does. He also has wine a lot more often than I do.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    How different? I cook the main dish the same for me and my kids, but I add or subtract things depending on my needs or their wants.

Ya, I have proportionally more protein and veggies to carbs than he does. He also has wine a lot more often than I do.

When I did my first bodybuilding competition I cooked two entirely different meals. It was too much effort. I eventually figured out how to get us all close to on the same page. The biggest struggle is portion sizes for the kids. If they don't eat it all I have to suck it up and throw it away rather than eat it myself or figure out a filling snack if they eat it all and want more.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    What kind of stuff does he need that you can't have? When I cook I just basically make 4 servings of meat. I get one, fiance gets 3. Then I make some yummy good side. I get a half portion if it is something higher in calories like pasta roni or something and then one plain veggie side I can have more of.
  • kshama2001
    edited June 2016
    Options

When I did my first bodybuilding competition I cooked two entirely different meals. It was too much effort. I eventually figured out how to get us all close to on the same page. The biggest struggle is portion sizes for the kids. If they don't eat it all I have to suck it up and throw it away rather than eat it myself or figure out a filling snack if they eat it all and want more.

Lots of times I scramble less than a full portion size of leftovers with eggs. This works with meat, veggies, pasta, and rice. I really like 2 ounces of leftover cooked pasta with eggs, veggies, and a small amount of meat.
  • fwitsend1277
    fwitsend1277 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I found the best way to avoid eating while cooking is to eat super strong sugar free mints. It makes everything else taste minty and much lower calorie than a spoonful of this and that the whole way through. Once I broke the habit I was able to cut out the mints too.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Lots of times I scramble less than a full portion size of leftovers with eggs. This works with meat, veggies, pasta, and rice. I really like 2 ounces of leftover cooked pasta with eggs, veggies, and a small amount of meat.

I could possibly work that as a snack. When I'm actually counting calories I often have every main meal either made or portioned out for the entire week.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Here is what I do for myself and kids:

Monday: Spaghetti with meatballs. Kids have pasta and if I have carbs left I have pasta. I eat extra meatballs and have a salad with it.
    Tuesday: Tacos. Kids have large tortillas and I have special ones. I add lettuce to mine and if I have fats left I have some cheese.
    Wednesday: Chicken and broccoli. Everyone has grilled chicken and broccoli. My serving is larger than theirs. Sometimes we add rice or pasta depending on if I have carbs left for the day.

It's a matter of portion sizes and adding or subtracting. We eat the same things and I'm not cooking two meals.

This is exactly what I do. For example, Monday was grilled pork chops, corn on the cob, potatoes & squash. Hubby and kids had some of everything. I had a pork chop & big pile of grilled squash and skipped the potatoes & corn.

Last night we had take-n-bake pizza. The kids had their favorite stuffed meat pizza and some dessert pizza and I had two slices of a thin crispy "lite" crust pizza and a big bowl of fresh salad.

Tonight we have extra kids over so I'm doing a taco bar. Kids get to choose anything they want to stuff into a hard or soft shell. I'm planning on getting a big bowl of lettuce and making a taco salad with the same ingredients - just adding the amounts of meat/cheese/veg that fit my calorie & macro needs.
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My husband is a self proclaimed chocolate monster. I buy him chocolate and store it in the pantry. It's there in plain sight when I need something from the same shelf its sitting on. But I tend to not like the same things he likes so it's very easy for me to back away from the chocolate. He doesn't like candy and I'm not a fan so that's ok for us in that regard.

I bought Ghiradelli dark chocolate with caramel & sea salt squares the other day. They are in the freezer and I had 1 square last night. It didn't put me over my calories, sodium or sugar goal. It tasted damn delicious and 1 is all I needed. A month ago, I probably would have had 3. I've made a lot of changes and self control is absolutely one of them.

As for cooking 2 meals...it happens now and then. Maybe twice a week it happens. I love to cook so it's no biggie. Most of the time, though, we eat the same thing only mine is portioned out. My husband is so very supportive of my goals and he's wonderful about eating the food I make. Plus I'm a good cook so that doesn't hurt ;)
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I cook for 3 every day. And my portions are always smaller, except for my protein. What I try doing is steaming some veggies for myself (like green beans, broccoli or asparagus) or I'll make myself a large salad (half my plate) to help keep me full.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eat most of the same stuff.
    Use a smaller plate.
    Have more vegetables/salad with your meal and smalller portions of higher calorie items. Let him add more cheese, sauce, dressings, etc to his plate.
    Chew mint gum while you cook.
    Have your own candy and snacks. I have a stash of dark chocolate kisses in a drawer. I pop one in my mouth and let it dissolve. I don't need a ton of chocolate.