Water or milk with protein shakes?

Options
Which is best, do you think?

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Skimmed milk tastes better IMO but water also tastes nice. If you've got the calories spare use milk :)
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Makes sense, thanks Roy.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    What variables are you using for "best?" Taste, nutrition, calorie density, etc?

I use unsweetened almond milk usually. Water is okay, and I'll use that sometimes too, but almond milk makes it a little creamier, adds some vitamins, and a little more protein for 30-40 calories. Sometimes I "splurge" and get the chocolate unsweetened for 45 cal/cup.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Skimmed milk tastes better IMO but water also tastes nice. If you've got the calories spare use milk :)

Yep :drinker:
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    What variables are you using for "best?" Taste, nutrition, calorie density, etc?

I use unsweetened almond milk usually. Water is okay, and I'll use that sometimes too, but almond milk makes it a little creamier, adds some vitamins, and a little more protein for 30-40 calories. Sometimes I "splurge" and get the chocolate unsweetened for 45 cal/cup.

'Best' as in a filler between meals. I get peckish in work round about 4 pm. I do like the sound of unsweetened almond milk. I will be treating myself to some of that. Is it obtainable in supermarkets (UK)?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Milk tastes better. Whole milk - no 2% or skim garbage, thanks.
    But it's easier to hit macros in calorie restriction with water.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Use water, some people can't stand the taste but if you use 6 ounces with your scoop, it tastes MUCH better.
  • makeupmuse10
    Options
    I really like mixing mine with coffee and just a splash (Not even a quarter cup) of skim milk....SOOOO Good!
  • arson714
    arson714 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Cow dairy products cause inflammation. Plus I'm not interested in the sugar content. I usually use water or unsweetened almond milk.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Which is best, do you think?

depends on the brand..in my experience Dymatize and OLD Myofusion tasted great with just water and even better with milk. Optimum Nutrition on the other hand tastes horrible unless you mix it with milk..and use a blender.