How to lose weight without exercise?

Options
I've been trying to lost weight for years on and off. I've lost about 50lbs so far but I've been struggling with working out for the past year or so due to a shoulder injury. I have shoulder subluxation with any movement of my right shoulder and I'm waiting to get surgery to get it sorted out. During my pre-op assessment, the nurse noticed I had an irregular heartbeat and sent my for a ECG. My results showed I have long QT syndrome which is an inherited heart condition and the leading cause of sudden adult death. The GP didn't give me too much info on the condition and said that there's a chance it could be because of medication I'm taking or the fact that my calcium levels are low. My meds have been changed and I've been put on calcium supplements. I've to go back for more blood tests and another ECG in a month so find out if it's improving or if it's genetic. Reading on the NHS website, it says that people with LQTS should avoid strenuous exercise because it can cause arrhythmia (and death). In the past I have felt faint and had palpitations during exercise but I put it down to being unfit. Now I'm terrified to to any exercise at all but I really need to lose weight. I've been having symptoms of endometriosis and the treatment hasn't been going that great. The only true way to diagnose it is with a laparoscopy which they won't give me unless I lose at least 100lbs. O've tried just watching what I eat but I've haven't lost anything like this in months.

Any ideas on what I could do to help me lose weight? Anyone else with this condition - what kind of exercise, if any, do you do?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    All you need is a deficit.

Log your foods on MFP, follow your calorie goal and if you're doing it properly, you will lose weight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit. That's all you need. MFP figured your goal as if you were doing no exercise. If you don't have a food scale then purchase one to assist you with accurate logging.
  • scarletspy
    scarletspy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I also cannot exercise much due to a muscle disease, and have been losing weight from diet alone.

Ask your cardiologist about exercise restrictions, and look into Cardiac Rehab if it's available in the UK. It's physiotherapy that is closely monitored, often using an ECG at first and transitioning to heart rate monitors if appropriate.
  • scarletspy
    scarletspy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    I also cannot exercise much due to a muscle disease, and have been losing weight from diet alone.

Ask your cardiologist about exercise restrictions, and look into Cardiac Rehab if it's available in the UK. It's physiotherapy that is closely monitored, often using an ECG at first and transitioning to heart rate monitors if appropriate.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not under a cardiologist yet because they wanted to change my meds and raise my calcium for a month then test me again to see if it's sorted itself out. I'm hopeful that it was just caused by my low calcium, etc and that it's not genetic. If it turns out it is genetic, I'll definitely be looking into cardio rehab.

Thanks!
  • Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If you really want to include exercise couldn't you do try long walks? I saw a success story on here once about a guy losing an amazing amount through diet and walking everywhere.
  • tracykreczmer
    tracykreczmer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    What about a water class? ? All the ladies in mine have had strokes breast cancer feet and arm injuries....

U lost fifty pounds u are amazing!

Maybe cut out one thing a day until u can at least walk.

Until then your poor body needs a rest..think of not gaining as a victory too!

Here's to a speedy recovery!
  • karenrobertspt
    karenrobertspt Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Walking is a very underrated exercise and it doesn't have to be strenuous. If you have a local Personal Trainer in your area it might be worth getting a referral from your Doctor.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    gentle biking is good too. anything that you can do without elevating your heart rate.