What's the lowest amount of fats I can go to and still be healthy?

Options
VividVegan
VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I'm 5'6-5'7 (idk but I'm taller than my mom and she's 5'5). Am 125 pounds. I was having all of these stomach issues, especially while on Keto (constipation, diarrhea, cramps, nausea, gas, indigestion, burping liquid, etc). I tried changing up my diet so see if it was food allergies. After weeks of experimenting with different food types which in turn changed my macros and taking notes, I found out the culprit. Fats! And these symptoms usually occur shortly after eating. Example: stomach cramps every time I eat peanut butter sandwich (but not after a tuna sandwich). Stomach ache whenever I eat ice cream unless lowfat or fat free. Cramps after using olive oil or butter. Burping up after egg yolks. Carbs and/or protein alone don't do this. I went off of Keto and had less digestive issues however still had some on a moderate fat intake so I lowered it to 20% of my calories (35-40 grams). Still getting the occasional cramps, gas, burping liquid, bowel changes, etc though (just less frequent and less severe now). But I want it gone. What's the absolute lowest I can lower my fat intake and still be in good health? I eat 1600-2000 calories a day, depending on the activity. My body hates fats, even the good kind!

Replies

• mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    sounds more like intolerance to a variety of foods and not just fat. I took a food sensitivity test and found i cant eat almonds, egg yolk, dairy, wheat, flax and about 20 other foods. I've been better now that i started taking digestive enzyme supplements and probiotics.

Have you tried a food sensitivity test? They're sometimes expensive but my benefits covered mine.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'd see a doctor.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'd see a doctor.

Yep.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you lower your fats to the bare minimum you could be swapping one set of problems for another. As others have said, you need to go to your doctor and get some tests run. Once you're armed with ALL of the information, you can go from there and start tweaking foods and/or macro.

I'm 5'8, 147lbs and the very minimum I'd go (for myself) is 30%