How to calculate gm or oz

So I made a homemade sloppy joe recipe and used recipe builder. It comes out to 180 calories per serving. I'm trying to calculate this and my brain is in overload, lol.
The turkey meat nutrition label reads that the serving size for the ground turkey meat is 4 oz. and there are 12 servings total. So I get 48 oz. total. Divide this by 16 since there are 16 oz in a lb and get 3...3 lbs, right? Oh my...math never was my strong point, lol! So what I'm wondering is this. I used only 2 lbs of turkey in my sloppy joe recipe and saved back the 1 lb. if this recipe with 1 lb says that it makes 6 servings, then 2 lbs would make 12. Can anyone please help me figure out how to calculate the amount of ground turkey meat for what a "serving" would be? I'm getting 32 (16x2) and then divide this by 12 to get 2.66. Is this accurate? 2.66 oz of ground meat? Sorry if I'm confusing anyone. I'm confused myself, lol! Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Weigh the entire amount of sloppy joe - if you want 6 servings divide the amount of the total product by 6. That is your serving size. The individual ingredients don't matter anymore because they are now a part of the recipe.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Weigh the entire amount of sloppy joe - if you want 6 servings divide the amount of the total product by 6. That is your serving size. The individual ingredients don't matter anymore because they are now a part of the recipe.

Well I hadn't weighed the entire thing previously so it's too late now. I'm just wondering how to calculate what the actual serving size is...

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    If you only have a portion of what you made and didn't weigh it start with you'll just have to eyeball what a 6th of the entire thing may have been.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    If you only have a portion of what you made and didn't weigh it start with you'll just have to eyeball what a 6th of the entire thing may have been.

I'm going by what the weight of the package said of the ground turkey without the seasonings. It said that it was 4 oz. 12 servings. I only used 2 lbs. which comes out to 32 oz. and my recipe makes 12 servings which I'm calculating to be 2.66 oz? Just wondering how to come up with the serving size from this info. Does that make any sense? Sorry...I don't mean to be complicating.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Trying to do homemade recipes can be a bit of a pain. A friend of mine makes chili pretty often, and he's kind enough to jot down everything he used - 1lb of ground turkey 93/7, 1 can of black beans, 298g of onion, that kind of thing. Everyone that is eating takes 2 ladles per bowl, even if they want more, and that helps to figure out how many servings it makes.

The easiest way to figure out how many calories you're getting on homemade recipes is to eat everything in one sitting! :)
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    What's your goal here? Yes, if you used 32 oz of turkey and you're dividing that into 12 servings, you have 2.66 oz of ground meat per serving. But I'm not sure what you're trying to do with this information - if you weigh out 2.66 oz of sloppy joe, you're not factoring in other ingredients, or that raw turkey weighs a bit more than cooked turkey because water will cook out of it.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    edited June 2016
    What's your goal here? Yes, if you used 32 oz of turkey and you're dividing that into 12 servings, you have 2.66 oz of ground meat per serving. But I'm not sure what you're trying to do with this information - if you weigh out 2.66 oz of sloppy joe, you're not factoring in other ingredients, or that raw turkey weighs a bit more than cooked turkey because water will cook out of it.

Right, so if you combine this with the first response (weigh the entire thing and take out one serving), then the one serving you take out should be comprised of roughly 2.66 oz of ground meat plus whatever else you put in it.

Edit to add this made me feel like I was back in elementary school doing one of those word problems in math : )
  • Losewtforlife4him
    TribeHokie wrote: »

Right, so if you combine this with the first response (weigh the entire thing and take out one serving), then the one serving you take out should be comprised of roughly 2.66 oz of ground meat plus whatever else you put in it.

Edit to add this made me feel like I was back in elementary school doing one of those word problems in math : )

Haha I know right? Seriously, I feel like I am doing word problems in math from elementary school! I should have taken those more seriously and paid closer attention, lol! This kind of thing boggles my brain sometimes! Thanks all for your help!:smile: