Non-Calorie Counters STAND UP!! Share your Tips for Weightloss

Options

Replies

• changedbyhisgrace
    changedbyhisgrace Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I'm Tandi! I wanted to hear some of the "non-calorie counters" (Those who choose not to count calories)tips for weight loss. Even if you've lost 1lb and feel this routine/regimen is working for you, feel free to share!

I will start: I made a decision to stop counting calories, as this does not work with me. I've tried for years to keep taking the same advice I read about and receive from people and is still unsuccessful. I now focus more on nutrition. I track and ensure I am taking in the essential nutrients/minerals daily (Vit A and C, Fiber, Protein, etc.) within moderation of course.

I lost 25 lbs counting calories. My dh lost 30 lbs not counting calories.
    What he did: He ate less food. He was not on a low carb diet or anything. He didn't think about meeting macros. He didn't start eating salad. He still ate ice cream. He just reduced his portion sizes of most food by what happened to be the right amount.
    I think my approach has been easier and healthier but it is certainly possible to lose weight without calorie awareness or calorie counting.

Thanks for your feedback.. very helpful
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    Counting calories works for and with me, but I don't have to do that anymore, because calorie counting has taught me how to eat, and I think that's maybe what you're after? I've counted calories before, at some other site, but that only taught me how to count calories. I've maintained my weight for 20 months now.

I do this now: I plan my meals in a spreadsheet, which turns into a food log as I eat. I also have a running inventory of my fridge, freezer and pantry. Whenever I want to eat something, I write it down in my spreadsheet. I write shopping list for those foods/ingredients to make it, minus what I already have. In the grocery store, I stick as closely as possible to the list. Sometimes I will shop for "categories", for instance "3 different fruits". I stick to ordinary, traditional, simple, home cooked meals, aim for variety and balance, and I will eat anything I like that doesn't trigger overeating. I enter food I've bought into the plan, divided into appropriate portions, but I also need to take into consideration how long that food will stay fresh. This means that I have to buy just the right amount, to avoid waste. When I serve myself, I weigh the uncountables, like milk, nuts, rice, pasta and frozen vegetables, but only count the countables, like pork chops, apples, crispbread. I portion out to make sure I have regular portions every time and not run unexpectedly out. I'm not very concerned about calories anymore.

I also weigh myself every morning and look at the trend. I aim to stay within a preset range, and I do that effortlessly. Whenever I approach the top end, I cut back on unplanned "treats" (yes, I have some of them occasionally - peanut butter and honey is my weakness).

I like the idea of planning your meals in a spreadsheet.. cool. I might adopt the idea. Thanks for your positive feedback.
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't log/count on maintenance, currently find counting the easiest way to lose for me, and fun also. Part of why I don't count on maintenance is that I am aware of what I am eating (and how many calories it is) from counting for a while. So I think it can be a good experience even if you don't want to do it longterm.

That said, I lost in the past (around 15 years ago, and maintained for years before some life stuff) without counting. This was (so far as I know) before MFP and similar sites. What I did then was change my diet (which was disorganized and relied too much on restaurant foods available through my job) to a pretty consistent pattern of standard breakfast, various lunch options (typically brought from home, but there were some lunch places around my office that had options I deemed acceptable for my goals), and a variety of homecooked dinners (mostly) based on a protein, a starch/whole grain, and lots of vegetables. I'd focus on serving sizes for things like meat and starch (much more than I do now, when I learned what worked for me specifically through weighing and logging). I also, for a while, wrote down what I ate without counting calories, as that was helpful in avoiding grazing. The problem for me with this approach is that I tend to be too restrictive and cut too low. I countered that somewhat by generally working in a more indulgent dinner once a week.

I also added in consistent exercise and decided to walk/take public transportation anywhere I possibly could (which is most places).

Yes... I have the awareness of what I am eating too. Very good stuff. Thanks for your input: )
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    It's a shame this place is labeled only as a calorie counting website. It has more to offer and I think would be even more valuable if other options & paths to weight loss and fitness were readily accepted.

My tips:eat mostly whole foods, lots of fruit and vegetables. Avoid foods that cause cravings & binges, embrace foods that keep cravings & binges at bay. Don't stress over food, try new recipes.

Agreed. It is called my FITNESS pal. Not my CALORIE pal.

There's another calorie counting app/website called CALORIEcount. I can definitely see that one being dubbed a calorie counting website.

I counted calories to lose weight. Without counting, my weight loss is very slow. But I don't count when maintaining. I just eat sensibly.

I'm maintaining now and still use this app daily. I love the forums. I guess they're a substitute for not having Facebook for me! Lol

Thank you so much for your support!!!! This was not meant to bash the people that choose to calorie count. I just wanted to create an open forum for those that had tips for other techniques that work for them. This turned into World War Z, geesh

I don't think anyone feels bashed, We all know that's it's different strokes for different folks. We all do not have to follow the exact same path to arrive at the same destination.

I don't care how people choose to lose weight, if what they are doing works for them, then they're doing it right :smile:
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    It's a shame this place is labeled only as a calorie counting website. It has more to offer and I think would be even more valuable if other options & paths to weight loss and fitness were readily accepted.

My tips:eat mostly whole foods, lots of fruit and vegetables. Avoid foods that cause cravings & binges, embrace foods that keep cravings & binges at bay. Don't stress over food, try new recipes.

Agreed. It is called my FITNESS pal. Not my CALORIE pal.

There's another calorie counting app/website called CALORIEcount. I can definitely see that one being dubbed a calorie counting website.

I counted calories to lose weight. Without counting, my weight loss is very slow. But I don't count when maintaining. I just eat sensibly.

I'm maintaining now and still use this app daily. I love the forums. I guess they're a substitute for not having Facebook for me! Lol

Thank you so much for your support!!!! This was not meant to bash the people that choose to calorie count. I just wanted to create an open forum for those that had tips for other techniques that work for them. This turned into World War Z, geesh

I don't think anyone feels bashed, We all know that's it's different strokes for different folks. We all do not have to follow the exact same path to arrive at the same destination.

I don't care how people choose to lose weight, if what they are doing works for them, then they're doing it right :smile:

You're awesome.. thanks
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/5-reasons-to-never-count-another-calorie

Again, this does work. You don't have to calorie count. You must choose your own path to weight loss and not be "bullied" into doing what the "masses" do when it doesn't work for you. B)
  • SophiaChohdary
    SophiaChohdary Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Without counting calories, the way it works for me:

* eat clean (nutritious, natural, unprocessed food),
    * if I'm on those days of the month where I'm craving for sweet, then I do the 80/20 rule (80% clean eating, 20% my junk fix), meaning I will not have cheat days, but I will not deprive myself of my favourite unhealthy things, as long as I don't binge it.
    * eat slowly,
    * use small plates, if I'm still hungry but my stomach starts to feel like it had enough then I stop eating, and wait for the brain signal to kick in,
    * Don't eat in the night. This is more like a personal preference, as my stomach is bothering me and I don't sleep well if I eat in the evening, so mostly my meals are breakfast, snacks (fruit mostly), lunch, more fruit for snacks, no dinner.
    * And the best part for me: Keep active. Play with the kids, clean the house, cook difficult meals, workout for at least 1 hour daily either cycling or a combination of yoga, circuit training and strength training (yes I'm a girl and I love push-ups)
    * Keep busy ALL day long. Even when my body is aching, and my mind says "let's watch TV", I do something. I workout more, I clean more, I homeschool my kids, I read a book, I learn new things (coding), all in the effort of stop thinking about food, and that there's a fridge in the house.

Sorry for the long post, this is just what works for me, remember everybody is different, it might or might not work for you.
  • changedbyhisgrace
    Options
    Without counting calories, the way it works for me:

* eat clean (nutritious, natural, unprocessed food),
    * if I'm on those days of the month where I'm craving for sweet, then I do the 80/20 rule (80% clean eating, 20% my junk fix), meaning I will not have cheat days, but I will not deprive myself of my favourite unhealthy things, as long as I don't binge it.
    * eat slowly,
    * use small plates, if I'm still hungry but my stomach starts to feel like it had enough then I stop eating, and wait for the brain signal to kick in,
    * Don't eat in the night. This is more like a personal preference, as my stomach is bothering me and I don't sleep well if I eat in the evening, so mostly my meals are breakfast, snacks (fruit mostly), lunch, more fruit for snacks, no dinner.
    * And the best part for me: Keep active. Play with the kids, clean the house, cook difficult meals, workout for at least 1 hour daily either cycling or a combination of yoga, circuit training and strength training (yes I'm a girl and I love push-ups)
    * Keep busy ALL day long. Even when my body is aching, and my mind says "let's watch TV", I do something. I workout more, I clean more, I homeschool my kids, I read a book, I learn new things (coding), all in the effort of stop thinking about food, and that there's a fridge in the house.

Sorry for the long post, this is just what works for me, remember everybody is different, it might or might not work for you.

Thank you! I heard of the 80/20 rule. I need to learn more about it. I think I will try this. Omg, eat more slowly, lol. That has been a real challenge for me. I am coping and pasting your reply to keep. You shared really great tips. And thanks for the positive response. SOme have not been nice here :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ^^

I wish I had the will power to stop eating when i was satisfied, and not FULL :( Plus I eat very fast and i know my brain is lagging behind my fork to mouth action!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    I don't know how "counting calories" can not work, unless you're not counting them right - but CICO is the rule, calorie counting is just one way to get there.

I count calories because I like knowing how much I've eaten and how much I have left to eat... but I've found that most people who do not count calories stay under their maintenance calories (aka, lose weight) by cutting out particular foods and eat mainly foods close to how they come "naturally", not many carbs and small portions.

Again, that's what work for you and I think I've been calorie counting longer than you've been alive. No two bodies are alike but in this society one must talk the same, look the same fit in a box and do the same to seem "normal". I don't calorie count and you know what, I will prove this work.

Like I said, CICO is the rule, calorie counting is just one way to get there. Didn't say there wasn't other ways to do it.
  • SophiaChohdary
    Options
    Thank you! I heard of the 80/20 rule. I need to learn more about it. I think I will try this. Omg, eat more slowly, lol. That has been a real challenge for me. I am coping and pasting your reply to keep. You shared really great tips. And thanks for the positive response. SOme have not been nice here :)

Yeah, unfortunately, anybody can hide behind a screen and become mean and that's just sad really. For me, MFP is a tool, meaning that I can live with and without it. If I'm using MFP to count calories, it's because I suffer from depression, and sometimes it gets so bad that I binge eat, so I use MFP to "control" me. Once I see the explosion of calories I'm about to take and the amount of sugar/cholesterol etc on those junk, I literally stop and think about what I'm doing. It really helps us emotional people who try to find food as an answer to our problems.

Once my depression is gone and I feel better, then I no longer need MFP. My brain starts working again and knows what it needs to do keep healthy.

I haven't read the negative comments on here, but know this, there are people in this world who lost weight, some from calorie counting, some from other means. Yes MFP is a calorie counting app, but some people also enjoy other aspects of this app, such as this forum for instance, where mostly kind people get together share tips and help each other out. Or the BMI calculator, or knowing the nutritious facts of a meal (like how much sugar on a fruit for diabetics).

As for eating slowly, I was born that way I think lol, because I get plenty of complaints about it haha. But yeah, the more you chew your food, the better you will digest and your brain will believe you had enough. At least that's how it works for me.
  • SophiaChohdary
    Options
    ^^

I wish I had the will power to stop eating when i was satisfied, and not FULL :( Plus I eat very fast and i know my brain is lagging behind my fork to mouth action!

You can also try a cup of water, or even better, peppermint tea or mint chewing gum after a meal. The water will make your stomach feel full and peppermint is known for controlling appetite and aid in digestion.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    How do you track your essential nutrients and minerals?

Click "nutrients" I input food to track nutrients and exercise. Also, have a good support system here.

The MFP databasse isn't the best place to track your vitamins and minerals. It only lists 4 different ones and many entries don't list any of them even if they should contain them.
    Something like cronometer is better for that.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    People are at different stages of their weight loss and employ various methods to get there. Sometimes one method works for a while. Not calorie counting and cutting portions worked for me for a period of time at the beginning of my weight loss journey.

But now that my deficit is smaller I find that weighing and counting works. I will go back to portion control once I hit maintenance and then calorie count as needed if I gain in the future.. Others can decide to calorie count or cut down portion sizes and still be successful.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I lost my first 30 pounds counting calories by just eating less junk and filling up mostly with fresh veggies/fruit, meat, dairy, etc. After that I got stuck and needed to count calories. Now I am working my way back out of counting calories.

Weight loss is not a one method fits all project. It's not even a one method fits the same person during the entire project project. Experiment, evaluate, and adapt.

I think this is one of the most sensible posts here.

I completely agree that experimentation and adaptation are important for many of us. I lost initial weight not counting, as many do. Then I had to accept that I had to count to lose more (as much as I didn't want to have to count calories). The learning curve was steep, but now it's a pretty simple process. My goal weight is going to be lower than I thought it would be, but pretty soon I'll probably be looking at recomping, which will probably require me to continue counting for a good while. I would love to be able to transition to not counting eventually, but I think that will take a lot of focus that I just don't have time for right now. And if I get to the point where I can experiment with not counting and it doesn't work, then I'll go right back to counting. It doesn't have to be either/or.

Also, it would be a good thing for people to just try to skim over what they think of as snark. I'm a bit discouraged about the number of veterans who no longer post regularly (and I admit some of them can sometimes (definitely not always or even most of the time) come across a little harshly, but again, let it roll, they have good information). The number of veterans has been dwindling, and I have seen many a post that suffers from the lack of sensible input. Those same posts often have a lot of individuals (seemingly newbies) posting things as necessities that are not, and the OP responding in such a way that it seems they accept those are the things they have to do. While they might end up being successful with their losses, the unnecessary rules are probably not going to help most be successful. Just something to consider - if those who have been successful without a lot of restrictions are driven away, all the inexperienced who come in are likely to flail around for a while, and potentially give up because they can't find a sustainable approach. Losing and maintaining weight can be difficult. It doesn't make sense to drive away experienced users.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    This site has a lot to offer, but the calorie counter forms a solid foundation for people who come specifically for help losing weight. A foundation that helps teach you why you are fat in the first place, and how to lose weight through portion control, exercise, and other ideas, all of which really just boil down to eating within your TDEE.

I came here for help losing weight as first priority, and maybe adding a little fitness.

A BMR / TDEE calculator helped me to understand how much energy in calories my body needs every day. I exclusively used MFP for calorie counting in the beginning. Counting calories helped me to understand that I had been eating ridiculously high calories, which is why I was maintaining an overweight body. In order to achieve and maintain a normal bodyweight state, I now understand that I need to maintain my calories in that sweet spot established by the calculator. Forever. Measure food, eat whatever you want within calorie goals. Everything worked perfectly. I lost 1 lb per week like clockwork. But there are things that can move that sweet spot...

Meanwhile, I learned a lot about exercise and strength training by reading the forums (and other websites). I took suggestions about exercise programs and started doing some yoga, bodyweight training, and C25K. I started tracking my exercise and found that I could eat a lot more as a result of burning more calories and still lose weight. So now I am maintaining my new sweet spot AND I can run(!), I am stronger, I am in less pain.

Lately, after a LOT more reading, I have been testing the waters of intermittent fasting. When I do it (18:6), I eat 2 solid meals per day (I just skip breakfast), and I don't really have to obsess about keeping my meals low-calorie or figure out how to shave a little off here and there to stay within my calorie goals. In fact, I have occasionally had to rummage around and find things to ADD to my meals. I feel alive, clear-headed, and focused before I eat. I feel so good! Contrasted to where I was 6 months ago, I am a new person.

So, although my foundation is still with my TDEE and CICO, I have been able to shift my focus away from calorie counting a bit, since there are other things that make staying within my goals easier. Not sure I'll stop counting completely, but I feel much more in control of my weight. I have a pretty good idea of correct portion sizes, which foods are calorie-dense and which foods are good for piling my plate with. I don't worry so much if I go out to eat on the weekend, because I know that I'm staying on track (worst case scenario, I'm in maintenance calories for the week instead of a deficit). I don't feel so tied down to the calorie counter anymore. But I think it is an important foundation.

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Cornelius, I have found IF to be helpful also. I like the 18:6 IF because if I don't start eating until lunchtime I can eat a nice portion for lunch and then a decent dinner and still stay on track without going over my calorie goal for the day. Plus I can eat a normal dinner with my family and not feel deprived. Multiple tiny meals make me crave more, and I'm miserable all day waiting for the next tiny feeding.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Cornelius, I have found IF to be helpful also. I like the 18:6 IF because if I don't start eating until lunchtime I can eat a nice portion for lunch and then a decent dinner and still stay on track without going over my calorie goal for the day. Plus I can eat a normal dinner with my family and not feel deprived. Multiple tiny meals make me crave more, and I'm miserable all day waiting for the next tiny feeding.

Yea, and stopping the insulin for awhile is supposed to be very beneficial to longevity as opposed to having it turned on all day while grazing! ;)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Honest question, here. Not trying to be a jerk or insinuate you're unwelcome, but why are you on MFP if you don't count calories?

@cecsav1once once I got the macro that I needed to eat figured out and my hormones that tell me what to eat and how much of it to eat got back in balance counting had little value in my case.

I have had no cravings/binges for nearly two years. Pain management by diet was my first object. Most of the cravings and pain left after the first 30 days without counting calories. The 60 pounds that I have lost since 2014 therefore was not due to calorie counting but I am not complaining because I started out at 250 pounds.