Exercising With Arthritis

Options
icandoit
icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
Arthritis is a disease that can cause pain, stiffness, and swelling in joints and other supporting structures of the body. While it doesn't mean that you face a future of restricted activity, it does mean that you need to get some input from a trained professional to design a safe exercise plan. The three main types of exercises include:
Range-of-motion exercises, like dancing or stretching, for joint movement and flexibility
Strengthening exercises, such as weight training, to increase and maintain muscle strength
Aerobic or endurance exercises, like walking or bicycle riding, to improve cardiovascular fitness, help control weight, and improve overall function
Not only can regular exercise provide numerous benefits such as reducing joint pain/inflammation and increasing flexibility, muscle strength, and endurance, it's also a great way to keep your weight in check and, in general, make you feel better physically and psychologically.

Replies

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Arthritis is a disease that can cause pain, stiffness, and swelling in joints and other supporting structures of the body. While it doesn't mean that you face a future of restricted activity, it does mean that you need to get some input from a trained professional to design a safe exercise plan. The three main types of exercises include:
    Range-of-motion exercises, like dancing or stretching, for joint movement and flexibility
    Strengthening exercises, such as weight training, to increase and maintain muscle strength
    Aerobic or endurance exercises, like walking or bicycle riding, to improve cardiovascular fitness, help control weight, and improve overall function
    Not only can regular exercise provide numerous benefits such as reducing joint pain/inflammation and increasing flexibility, muscle strength, and endurance, it's also a great way to keep your weight in check and, in general, make you feel better physically and psychologically.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with arthritis in 8th grade. Since then I've been up and down and all over the scale (actually my highest weight ever was in 9th grade) but keeping myself active, fit, and at a lower weight has helped everything with me.
    Its important and it makes you feel better.

But I will say that sometimes after I run the pain in my legs is almost unbearable.
    Its all about moderation, and I'm bad at moderation.