Split Squat with dumbbell alternative

Options
I've got a new training routine that I am planning to try soon. One of the moves that it uses is the split squat with dumbbell. Split squats and lunges are not great moves for me because of my knees. Can anyone recommend a good strength move that works basically the same muscles that won't be so tough on my knees? This is a beginner level workout. Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Can you do step ups?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    split squat is a beginner move?

do you have a functional knee issue or do you need to build up the musculature

step ups are a good exercise but also involve knee - everything does really

if you look at sports injuries there are some exercises for knee rehabilitions - scroll down on this page http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/rehabilitation-exercises/knee-hamstring-thigh-exercises

but if it's so bad that even bodyweight squats and lunges are out perhaps you could get some real life physio / sports trainer help?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    LOL - just realised I was thinking one leg off the ground but unsupported - ignore first line
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What knee problems do you have that prevent you from doing those? Can you squat?
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have some damaged cartilage from an old injury in my right knee. I had surgery years ago, but the additional weight that I put on has made it flare up in the last couple of years. My left knee is just weak. I am pretty sure that with work I can strengthen both of them and probably be able to do these moves at some point in the future. But, I am still carrying a lot of body weight and that combined with the weakness and the old injury makes any kind of lunge move very painful. Regular squats are only mildly uncomfortable and I can do those. Step ups are easier for me than lunging but harder than squats...if that makes sense. I hope to be able to build strength but I don't want to risk causing damage while I do.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Ditch the weights. Squat and lunge shallower. My knees can still get iffy with lunges and very rarely squats. I just lighten my weights, do body weight only or squat shallower for a while. I also got a really sturdy knee brace for a period because my knee was tracking a bit oddly and it needed help whilst strengthening the muscles that kept it in the right direction.

If you are still pretty overweight you're already squatting with a load anyway so just work with what nature is currently giving you!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Wide stance (sumo) squats tend to be easier on the knees. When you do it, don't let your knees move forward - descend by moving your hips backward. :+1:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Try reverse lunges.
  • lissadecker
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Wide stance (sumo) squats tend to be easier on the knees. When you do it, don't let your knees move forward - descend by moving your hips backward. :+1:

Oh yes! I seem to remember that from karate classes! Thanks for the reminder!
  • lissadecker
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Try reverse lunges.

Reverse lunges do seem to be a bit easier. Thank you!
  • lissadecker
    Options
    Well, I started my program today and was actually able to do 3 sets of 10 reps on the split squats. I used a very wide stance and it wasn't too bad. Certainly do-able. I did them with no weights and was not able to go down very far, but I did them and didn't hurt my knees. Since it is squatting and not stepping forward, there is less impact and it seems to be fine. So that is good. Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I am going to be able to just start slow with this move and hopefully build up to being able to do it well. :)
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have two bad knees, varying degrees, from a childhood injury. When I started squats and lunges, they were very painful. I was told to only go as deep as I could without pain. The more I did, the deeper I could go. Can go very deep with bodyweight lunges now (though reverse are still easier) and can get almost parallel in my squats now.