watching your sugar intake

Options
Does anyone have any tips on how to cut down on your sugar intake? I have just been noticing lately how much sugar I eat and I am trying to work on it. I've already cut packaged bars and cereal out of my diet :tongue:

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The sugar recommendation on MFP is based on the American Heart Association's and WHO's recommendation for ADDED sugar. It does not take into naturally occurring sugars in fruit and veg, etc. If you eat nutritious and delicious fruit, you will always be over. Unless you have some underlying medical condition and/or are just going nuts on added/refined sugars then I wouldn't worry about it. Manage your macros, don't micromanage your micros.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Good question! I noticed that too; but came to the conclusion that is was the fresh fruits and veggies I am eating. Which after summer will reduce because the yummy fruits will no longer be in season.

Thanks for asking and thanks for the responding cwolfman13.
  • MsTamikaP
    MsTamikaP Posts: 5
    Options
    That was a good question & thanks everybody for your comments :)
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Watching my sugar intake has made a huge difference in my day to day fitness. Over the last three to four weeks I have been focusing on this and am seeing huge benefits - more alert, body is burning more fat, and my body is craving sugar/sweets less.
    Yes, those granola bars/fruit bars are packed with sugar and so are a lot of yogurts.
    Here is what I did:

Started the day off feeding my body a healthy fat. This helps signsl my brain and body to use its own fat stores for energy and also doesn't cause spikes in insulin to start trying to store the sugar. For me I start the day with black coffee with two tablespoons of butter in it or coconut oil. Called bulletproofing your coffee. If I start feeling a hungry/sweet craving in the afternoon, I will also do another coffee with butter. This will actually make me less hungry for the afternoon and dinner but still makes me feel so alert.

I also started looking at my MFP meals and one by one replacing things that are high in sugar and balancing under my guidelines, healthy fruits as well.
  • kelseyann92
    kelseyann92 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!! I appreciate it!