Despite diet & exercise I KEEP GAINING WEIGHT! Please help!

Options
1235»

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    The day she went to the cardiologist, my friend was admitted to the hospital for a triple bypass. The reason she's been gaining weight was retaining water due to a serious heart condition.

If it were me, I'd definitely get it looked into further. Suddenly putting on 5lb/week sounds like either a medical problem, or the result of some change in medications.

I went into the hospital while on vacation three and a half years ago to have my gall bladder removed. I was in the hospital for five days because I'm on blood thinners, and they had to get my clotting factor up before they could operate. I had two IVs in at all times during the five day stay.

When I checked out of the hospital, I couldn't put on my pants and the staff had to get some "big boy" pants from the lost and found. I had put on over 20 lbs in four days -- all of it water retention. After I got back home, I asked my doctor about it and he said there was no way to speed up the loss of water, because this kind of water weight was held in the spaces between my cells so diuretics wouldn't affect it. It took a week or so for the weight to come off -- the fastest I've ever lost weight or gained weight, and it was all water.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    Just a reminder: muscle is NOT heavier than fat. That is a fact.

Yes, it is. When we say one substance is heavier than another, the assumption is that we're talking about equal volumes, otherwise it's meaningless. In the same way that lead is heavier than cheese, muscle is heavier than fat.

No, muscle is more DENSE than fat. 1 pound of muscle still equals 1 pound of fat, but the pound of muscle will take up less space.

No, muscle is more DENSE than fat. 1 cubic inch of muscle still equals 1 cubic inch of fat, but the cubic inch of muscle will weigh more.
    Pu-leeeeeeze. If you are talking about WEIGHT, it does not automatically mean you are talking about volume. These are two different properties. A pound of feathers, a pound of fat, and a pound of muscle are going to weigh ONE POUND.
    You are most definitely going to need different sized containers for each, but they will weigh precisely one pound.
  • 9Chelle28
    9Chelle28 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This may be an unpopular response but relying solely on calorie deficit does not work for everyone. The thyroid regulates many things in the body that people aren't even aware of, metabolism is just one of the things that it can affect. My first suggestion is to have your thyroid levels checked and not just the TSH that a normal doctor would check as that number can be in normal range and you could still be suffering from a thyroid disorder. I have been where you are and after three years and multiple doctors I was diagnosed with Autoimmune Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I am finally getting better and have my levels optimized enough that I am starting to lose some weight but not nearly what I should at the calorie deficits that I have. If you have any questions feel free to message me.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    9Chelle28 wrote: »
    This may be an unpopular response but relying solely on calorie deficit does not work for everyone. The thyroid regulates many things in the body that people aren't even aware of, metabolism is just one of the things that it can affect. My first suggestion is to have your thyroid levels checked and not just the TSH that a normal doctor would check as that number can be in normal range and you could still be suffering from a thyroid disorder. I have been where you are and after three years and multiple doctors I was diagnosed with Autoimmune Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I am finally getting better and have my levels optimized enough that I am starting to lose some weight but not nearly what I should at the calorie deficits that I have. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

The OP said that their thyroid is fine, according to an endocrinologist.

The BMR and TDEE calculators are estimates of calories burned based on population averages. Not losing weight at a rate that you are expecting is an indication that you did not have the calorie deficit that you had hoped for. It does not mean that having a calorie deficit does not work for you; it just means that you have found that for you personally, these average numbers are higher than the number of calories your body truly burns. Good on you for your determination through your medical complications, I wish you all the best with your weight loss journey.

I do agree though that the OP should consult a doctor if they are gaining 5lb per week. Such a consistent gain would indicate that they are eating considerably more than just little inaccuracies from logging their food incorrectly as it would average out to eating about 2,500 calories above their maintenance level every single day. Even if their maintenance level is a bit lower than average, this still means they are consuming a lot of extra calories. So it seems worthwhile to check if anything is going on medically.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    ammo7 wrote: »

The BMR and TDEE calculators are estimates of calories burned based on population averages. Not losing weight at a rate that you are expecting is an indication that you did not have the calorie deficit that you had hoped for. It does not mean that having a calorie deficit does not work for you; it just means that you have found that for you personally, these average numbers are higher than the number of calories your body truly burns. Good on you for your determination through your medical complications, I wish you all the best with your weight loss journey.

I do agree though that the OP should consult a doctor if they are gaining 5lb per week. Such a consistent gain would indicate that they are eating considerably more than just little inaccuracies from logging their food incorrectly as it would average out to eating about 2,500 calories above their maintenance level every single day. Even if their maintenance level is a bit lower than average, this still means they are consuming a lot of extra calories. So it seems worthwhile to check if anything is going on medically.

Based on the numbers in the OP, I doubt that it has been 5lb/week consistently for 6 months:
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    esjones12 wrote: »
    5 pounds a week for 6 months? I'd be knocking down lots of doctors doors.....you'd have to consume SO many extra calories to do that.

I actually did the math on this, for the OP to have gained 5lb/week for 6 months (130lbs total) and for that to equal 36% of her body weight gained, she would have started at 360lb, and would currently be 490lb. I'm going to guess that the picture in the avi is not a 490lb woman.

If the OP were to have started at 150lb and gained 36% of her weight over 6 months, that would be 9lb/month, which could be done with overeating, but it would be a lot of overeating to get there.

TL;DR - insufficient data

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    ammo7 wrote: »

Based on the numbers in the OP, I doubt that it has been 5lb/week consistently for 6 months:
    esjones12 wrote: »
    5 pounds a week for 6 months? I'd be knocking down lots of doctors doors.....you'd have to consume SO many extra calories to do that.

I actually did the math on this, for the OP to have gained 5lb/week for 6 months (130lbs total) and for that to equal 36% of her body weight gained, she would have started at 360lb, and would currently be 490lb. I'm going to guess that the picture in the avi is not a 490lb woman.

If the OP were to have started at 150lb and gained 36% of her weight over 6 months, that would be 9lb/month, which could be done with overeating, but it would be a lot of overeating to get there.

TL;DR - insufficient data

I agree, inconceivable. She has not returned to set the story straight. I think it was hyperbole!!