alternative to barbell row

Options
T0M_K
T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
I am doing Stronglifts 5x5. I find the barbell row awkward...just hard to get my back flat..seems the proper form is to almost form a 90 degree angle bending at the waist. its hard on my back and neck. is there a good alternative to this exercise?

Replies

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    a 90% bend doesn't sound right to me, this is more like the angle you should be aiming for:
    https://youtu.be/I-qgwlP0J90
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I do mine on the smith machine because I have arthritis.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    it's not 90 degrees - it's more like 75 with knees bent - neutral spine

get a trainer to check your form

90degrees.jpg
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I don't like the Pendlay rows in Strong Lifts for the same reason - I could never get to where they felt comfortable. I switched to more of a traditional bent-over row with the barbell (even close to a Yates row).
  • T0M_K
    Options
    if you look at the video for strong lifts. he's at 90 degree pulling up to his mid/upper chest. it seems the closer to 90 the better? maybe my knees aren't bent. i'll have to try that.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I do not like Pendlays either. I think it's a combo of form and equipment limitations for me. I prefer good old dumbbell rows or chest supported dumbbell rows or the Yates style row. Whether you want to try them depends on how married you are to the idea of sticking exactly to SL5x5.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    T-bar rows
    Chest supported rows
    Batwings
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I do these at about 75 degrees as well.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Most people lose form by looking down at the ground as they lift. If you look forward as you lift, it helps to keep your back in a neutral position. If you have difficulty maintaining this position, drop your pride and your weight load.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Never been a fan of barbell rows in any form. I typically do either one arm or double arm dumbbell rows and throw in some seated cable rows. I understand the affect of a barbell row becuase it will require the usage of a lot of muscle fibers outside of the back (forearms, glutes, hams, abs) to maintain the proper form but I hit all of those on their own days anyway. That's what 5x5 tries to do is to include as much muscle activity in the limited number of lifts you're doing so replacing a particular lift with another may not be as effective.
  • T0M_K
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    Never been a fan of barbell rows in any form. I typically do either one arm or double arm dumbbell rows and throw in some seated cable rows. I understand the affect of a barbell row becuase it will require the usage of a lot of muscle fibers outside of the back (forearms, glutes, hams, abs) to maintain the proper form but I hit all of those on their own days anyway. That's what 5x5 tries to do is to include as much muscle activity in the limited number of lifts you're doing so replacing a particular lift with another may not be as effective.

this was my concern. not hitting the muscles intended. the amount of weight isn't the issue...trust me, as a noob, i have no pride in what i'm doing but am resolved to progress slowly and safely.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I prefer pendlay rows over traditional rows. Gotta make sure the knees are bent slightly and you pull with the upper back.
    For other upper back work I routinely use:

Lat pulldowns
    Single arm DB rows
    T-bar rows
    Cable rows - both single arm and both arms
    Machine rows - both single arm and both arms
    Pullups - only when I get my fat azz weight down though. Not comfortable until I usually hit 190lbs.
    Chest supported rows. <-really like these as you don't have to focus on staying tight in the lower back.