Moms and Dads: When do you fit your exercise in?

Options
Looking for a bit of advice. I've got an 8yo and a 3yo at home. My wife works 3rd shift as a nurse. She leaves for work around 10:30 at night. I've got the boys overnight, morning wake-up, off to school and daycare, pick up from school and daycare, and start dinner, with wife waking around 6pm. 8yo is fine on his own, but 3yo is very active. Waking between 5 and 5:30 and by my side no matter what I'm doing till mom is up at 6pm.

On good days I'm hitting the eliptical around once both boys are in bed around 8:30pm, then some strength training, just in time to clean up, catch an hour of TV with the Mrs. and off to bed to start the routine again. On really good days I can get a 1.5mi walk (avg 4mph) during lunch at work, so that makes one less thing in the evening.

Am I not getting the benefit of the workout by exercising so late in the day?

I'd like to mix in a P90x type of workout video, but I don't think I can make the time commitment on this schedule.

I could try a 4am wake up, but honestly I'm thinking the activity would wake up the 3yo, and then he's attached to my hip.

Is this the routine I'm stuck with until my youngest gets older?

Replies

• JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I go in the morning before everyone else wakes up.
  • andi82801
    andi82801 Posts: 4
    Options
    I don't know what your job is, but what about a noon/lunch workout?
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old understands pretty well to let me work out, I also have a 13 month old who still naps, so during her nap is when I workout. Sometimes I like to accommodate my kids into my workouts to make them feel included and get them started young.
  • Anewcrys
    Anewcrys Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:30 and head to the gym, I lay out my gym clothes at night and just put my hair in a ponytail. So all I have to do is get dressed, brush my teeth, grab a water and I'm gone.

I get home at 6:15 take a shower, and all that and out the door by 6:45 with my kids, dropping them off at the sitters so I can be at work by 7:30, then it's work all day, pick up the kids and do the family thing. So 4:30 am is really the only time I can work out. So you can do it!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I typically get up at 5 AM and get it done while my kids (7 & 4) are still sleeping and my husband is getting ready for work. That way my husband can get his workout in at night.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    When my 7 year old was younger, I'll admit to plopping him in front of the upstairs TV so I could work out downstairs. Even if his older siblings were home, he was fine on his own. Now at 7, he's pretty used to mom going to the basement to workout. Sometimes he aggravates me and interrupts, but, he's only 7. When he was younger, he wanted to do it with me so I would let him use a (useless) 3 lb weight to "work out" he'd get bored in about 30 seconds and want to watch TV.

With my running, I usually only go out when my hubby or older kids are home to stay with him. We tried a mom runs/Monkey Rides his bike 4 miler on Friday and, well, it was the LONGEST 4 miles of my life. Don't think he's quite there yet!! LOL!!

Good luck.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Early AM, late PM - but now that my kiddo is out for summer vis this month it's whenever I please :)
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    My husband leaves for work at 6am, so I'm in a bad spot too. I since I have a 10 yr old and a 4 yr old, I get up at 5:45 and run then get home before the kids are even up. It's not ideal, but it's all I can manage. When school starts up again, I will be out at 5:15.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    maybe try entertaining the 3 year old with a movie, or ipad game while you get a work out in. I like the Jillian DVD-30 day shred. Its only a 20 minute work out. So I almost feel I have NO EXCUSE to NOT do it. BTW I have a 10 & 4 yr old. I wouldnt dare do my work out when they are awake ( they "get in the way " lol) So I wait till they go to sleep at 8:30pm. I take off to the park to do some laps ( get my cardio in) or throw my video on. I work a 9-5, pick up kids fro day care, get home to make dinner, clean up, spend time w. the kids/ hubby, bed time, then i take off/do my work out, then back home to shower watch some tv and fall asleep! I work out the hardest and longest during the weekend, if the week is just to hectic. I figure I get 2 really good days and a few others that are just allright lol
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have a 9yo and 5yo..... I usually get up at 5a and workout for an hour and then get them up at 7a to start the day. If/when I am unable to get in a workout in the morning my kids know that when we get home from camp/school...Mommy has to workout. They get to watch one TV show (30 min) each ...9yo is good with remote. and by the time their shows are over my workout is done or very near done. They know not to bother me and if they do the longer I will have to workout and delays dinner time. I find my 5a workout is best and gives me more time with them in the evening!
  • tali00
    tali00 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have a 3 year old that thankfully sleeps till 6:30/7:00. I get my workout in between 4:30 and 5:00 am
  • mamillien1
    Options
    I think you are doing pretty good, as a parent I get it in where it fits in, walks on my lunch break, and whenever my 8 yrs old is doing something. I am very blessed to have my family around to help, I am a single mom so a lot of times i leave my son with my mom to hit the gym. I also made sure I chose a gym that had a day care and long opening hours. I work out super late, sometimes even 2am! I also involve my son in my work outs, going to the park and have him mimic my work outs. I even went jogging with him. Since you have a 3 yr old he might not keep focus as long as your 8 yr old but I am sure running around is something he will do with you at the park . Create a circle of friends that have kids too, so that you can get sometime for yourself and vice versa. That also helps a lot for me. My friends are always around. Great LUCK.

ps: Im sure youre doing something right since you lost all the weight!!
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've used the treadmill at my job. I also run in my subdivision when my wife is outside with the kids in the early evening. I have also gotten up at 5AM to do some running while my wife & kids are still asleep, and I come back and shower and try to relax a bit more before everyone wakes up.
  • bobbiedr
    bobbiedr Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have an 8yr old and a 3yr old. I get up around 5:30-6am to work out before either of them wake up. My 8yr old never woke up before 7, but my 3yr old sometimes did. So I would find so etching to entertain her. Lately I know if I let her watch Disney shows on my Ipad, then that will keep her entertained.

I don't like to work out after work, cause by that time I'm just tired. Plus, working out in the AM wakes me up.
  • Momma2Beauties405
    Momma2Beauties405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I typically get up at 5 AM and get it done while my kids (7 & 4) are still sleeping and my husband is getting ready for work. That way my husband can get his workout in at night.

Almost exactly ... But it sounds like that wouldn't be a viable option since you are the only adult at home with such young children. Hubby recently purchased T25 and has been doing well with that. Since it is only 25 minutes (excluding cool down) maybe your children could handle that long ... ?
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm off uni so tend to hit the .gym during the day but normally go in the evening. hubby works full time so goes on the evenings i don't.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I usually go running in the morning before everyone wakes up. Before that I went in the evenings after everyone was asleep. I have a 4 & 5 year old and even though me and my husband have very crazy work schedules, there's always at least an hour or two at some point in the day/night where I can fit in a work out.
  • TheOddOne
    TheOddOne Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a 6yr old and I joined a gym that offers childcare (they provide up to 2 hours per day). He loves it. He is able to go play racquetball, go swimming, run through an obstacle course for kids, go on a rock climbing wall, build with legos, etc... So he has the opportunity to be active while I am exercising.He is usually in bed by 8:30 so sometimes I will throw in an extra aerobics workout after he zonks out.

You could try including your kids in your work outs as well. You could probably find a wagon to pull your younger one in and your older could ride a bike while you go for a walk. Make it fun and try to find a nature trail. I try to do this on the weekends with my son because I want him to understand the importance of exercising and eating right.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I exercise when ever I can! It could be morning, afternoon and sometimes after the kids are in bed! I have a 10, 8 and 7 yr old. My plan is to do it no matter what every day, even if it is late!

Good luck to you!

Chelle
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I set my alarm clock early and workout when the rest still sleeps. My daughter however also woke pretty much when I did. What worked in our situation was to put something on the Wii on for her. Even at 3 years old she already was pretty handy with games like Dora adventures, nickelodeon dance and such. All tailored towards (small) children and this way she could "workout" too.