Frozen dinners?

Options
2»

Replies

• thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the Healthy Choice Steamers and they are good! I just got burnt out on them. I'll have to pick some more up on my next grocery run. Thanks for the reminder, @TeaBea

I agree they are good but I got burned out and I didn't feel full off them
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Have a new job that isn't friendly to my diet. Anyone have any suggestions for good healthy frozen dinners I can bring with me? Thanks!

The home cooked ones you put in the freezer?
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Maybe think about having some healthy snacks that you can quickly munch while at work and not have to take a lot of time. I keep protein bars(love the zoneperfect bars), trail mix, and nuts in my desk. Especially before going home. I find that a snack an hour before I leave work helps me not eat all the things when I get home. Good luck!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I think the taste on the healthy choice steamers is the best but they always piss me off because they are just not a meal. Most of them are well under 300 calories which means I have to worry about packing a side or snack...I feel like that defeats the purpose of the frozen meal.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think the taste on the healthy choice steamers is the best but they always piss me off because they are just not a meal. Most of them are well under 300 calories which means I have to worry about packing a side or snack...I feel like that defeats the purpose of the frozen meal.

I agree if I eat one I have to take a Yoplait so I'm full enough.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    On shop Saturday and cook on Sunday. Tub of hard boiled eggs. Tub o chili or soup with bitter greens, beans and lots of veg. Meatloaf, Salmon loaf. Snack all week. Bring nuts, cheese, hard boiled eggs, dried fruit. Eat off of salad bars. Bitter greens, beans, onion, mushroom, berries, seeds. They work together to catalyze their nutrients to fight disease. It's not just cico, its nutrients in. Best.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I find that many of the frozen meals are tasty and when served over steamer bag veggies they are a filling meal. They are, however, usually too high in sodium to fit my day. As others have mentioned, batch cooking and freezing into portions is a great idea. Soups, stews, lasagne, any sort of casserole, chili, meat and potatoes- whatever suits your taste and goals.
  • miconsumafuoco
    miconsumafuoco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm actually eating a Stouffers Fit Kitchen meal as I write this. It's pretty tasty! 30g of protein and 460 calories. I also grabbed a lasagna dinner from Atkins I think? Looked good so why not.

Some of the Lean Cuisines have just too few calories for me! I try to eat about 500 calories a meal, give or take, and then have a snack (or 2!), and those LC's are really skimpy, so I'm afraid I'll be hungry in like 2 hours!

Thanks everyone!

Fit Kitchen is AWESOME! I love them! I only eat the ones with less than 400 calories for lunch bc I like a big dinner :) You can friend me and look at my food diary if you want to see the stats on the ones I have found. Can't wait for them to have more variety! The healthy choice steamers are pretty good but you have to make sure to pick the ones with a good amount of protein. They have some steamers called Simply that have very low net carbs and so low calorie, I've used them as snacks (watch for sodium though). All the Fit Kitchen meals have 25g of protein or more.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    When I'm at home, I'll usually just throw a piece of frozen salmon into the toaster oven along with some pre-chopped root veggies, take a 30 minute nap, and then wake up to a hot, yummy, healthy meal. Just as easy to prepare, and I get more food for my money and calories.

I like Amy's frozen meals, in a pinch though. They're great for when I'm on vacation somewhere since they let me avoid having to go out to restaurants, even with limited kitchen tools. Cedarlane, Udi's, and Evol make some pretty good frozen entrees, too. And Feel Good Foods makes really good asian-style meals. And Blake's makes an amazing gluten-free chicken pot pie.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    For higher calorie meals, Boston Market brand is ok. Their chicken/broccoli/rice is good, around 450 calories and a decent amount of protein. I keep these in the freezer for long work then gym days.
    Also, regular Stouffer's lasagna is good (meat or cheese). I get the smaller one for about 350 calories, but I think they also make a larger size around 550-600.

I do get sad about Lean Cuisine portions, especially when they have low cal vegetables in them. Why are you giving me 5 green beans when you could give me a bunch more for like 20 more calories?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I will often buy a bag of pre cooked chicken strips, or if I grill chicken I make extra and slice those, and then I bring those to add to the frozen meals to bulk them up a little. Sometimes I will bring a piece of string cheese or get a salad from my cafeteria at work.

I didn't see anyone mention the Evol frozen meals yet, they seem a little more filling and have some different flavors (Chipotle Chicken Mac n Cheese is super yummy). They tend to be around 400 cals instead of the 300 that healthy choice and lean cuisines average.