Weight

Options
Im confused about my weight sometimes i weight my self in the morning every week and from last week to now it says im 5lbs more which is impossible i eat the same everyday and workout 4x a week i dont know if anybody has the same problem any suggestions

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your weight is not a static number. It fluctuates through the day and day by day based on a variety of factors:

- hydration level
    - whether or not you've gone to the bathroom
    - the amount of food in your digestive system
    - your hormonal state (increased water retention is common/normal leading up to ovulation and the onset of menstruation in women)
    - relative changes in the amount of carbs/sodium you've ingested
    - and so on

In short, it is far from impossible for you to be up 5 lbs despite eating and working out "on plan" all week.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Do you have a digital food scale? Go get one at walmart, or target.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Are you counting calories? If not, you are probably eating an excess amount of calories.

Are you using a food scale? If not, you may be underestimating how much you eat.

Did you recently start your exercise routine? If so, your body may be retaining more water than usual.

Have you recently consumed more sodium? If so, your body may be retaining more water than usual.

Is it close to your time of the month? If so, your body may be retaining more water than usual/bloated.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Your weight is not a static number. It fluctuates through the day and day by day based on a variety of factors:

- hydration level
    - whether or not you've gone to the bathroom
    - the amount of food in your digestive system
    - your hormonal state (increased water retention is common/normal leading up to ovulation and the onset of menstruation in women)
    - relative changes in the amount of carbs/sodium you've ingested
    - and so on

In short, it is far from impossible for you to be up 5 lbs despite eating and working out "on plan" all week.

This. ^ Your weight fluctuates. Women especially have lots of fluctuations because of their menstrual cycle. Exercise can cause water retention and so can sodium. I do think that weighing your food on a food scale is a great idea too though. It is possible that you aren't eating the number of calories that you think you are.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Also, even the most "accurate" scale varies within a range that is wider than most people complain about.