Are almond milk based soups freezable?

Options
coconutmango16
coconutmango16 Posts: 544 Member
In an attempt to actually carve out some downtime, I work full-time while also going to school, I have been trying to prepare some meals in advance to freeze. I'm also keen to cook some stuff ahead before it gets ridiculously hot here.

I make a lot of almond milk based chowders and soups and am wondering if they would freeze alright. Thank you :)

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can freeze almond milk and almond milk soup, but it will split when it thaws so you'll want to blend again before using or eating. That's easy if it's a smooth soup but less-easy if it's chunky with veggies or something. I suppose you could strain off the veggies once it's thawed and blitz the almond milk then re-combine? Interesting idea, I have never thought of using almond milk for a soup, but it would be a good way to get more protein.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • meganordway
    meganordway Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use it when I make broccoli cheddar soup to cut calories and I make it as a freezer meal
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You can freeze almond milk and almond milk soup, but it will split when it thaws so you'll want to blend again before using or eating. That's easy if it's a smooth soup but less-easy if it's chunky with veggies or something. I suppose you could strain off the veggies once it's thawed and blitz the almond milk then re-combine? Interesting idea, I have never thought of using almond milk for a soup, but it would be a good way to get more protein.
    Almond milk is mostly water:
    One cup of almond milk has one gram of protein.
    One cup of cow milk has seven grams of protein.
    One cup of soy milk has seven grams of protein.

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ah well, that's what I get for assuming. :wink: I eat almonds all the time and never drink almond milk...so I just assumed it also had a decent amount of protein. If it's mostly water, I guess that's why it's a good way to cut calories! :)